Easy 3 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe that we use to make soft tacos often! Simple pressure cooker dump recipe that’s healthy and so cheap that it feeds all 5 of us for under $10.00.
I’m in love with my Instant Pot! It makes dinnertime so much easier and I feel like I cook much more often for the 5 of us because of it, that’s a win win in my book. Last night I made this 4 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken “Hawaiian style” and it came out SO very delicious. I added it to small soft tortillas with some cheese and avocado slices and made tacos with it. Everyone raved about how good this turned out and it just took 15 minutes to cook in my new favorite appliance. Here is the easy recipe, and one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes now, especially for taco Tuesdays! (affiliate links present, updated, originally published 1/17)
Amazing doesn’t even describe this meal!
Just 3 ingredients and an Instant Pot and you’re ready to go! We love it like I said, served in flour tortillas but we’ve served it over rice before too and it’s just as good. It is a pretty healthy chicken recipe too and really inexpensive to make costing only about $10 total for the whole meal which served all 5 of us + leftovers for me to eat it for lunch the next day.
I have made it using frozen chicken in the Instant Pot too which makes it handy for super busy days!
Here’s a quick video of how we make Instant Pot shredded chicken
Of course you can make this and create Instant Pot chicken bowls with all your favorite fixin’s on top of some Instant Pot white rice, but it’s one of our Instant Pot tacos varieties…..usually the way we serve it up.
Totally up to you…….
This is what you need to make this 3 ingredient Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce (about 20 oz., not honey style, we like this one)
- 1 can of chunk pineapple
- 3 -4 boneless chicken breasts
- Small tortillas, cheese, and avocado if you want to make them into soft tacos (delish)
- Onion – optional but good
If you happen to have the burn message displayed on your pot follow these steps on how to deglaze your Instant Pot.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot yet I highly recommend it because it helps busy families like you and me.
I’m constantly adding to my recipes and you can find them all here on my Instant Pot Recipes page so bookmark that to refer back to it later!
If you want to make this in your slow cooker here are the directions for crockpot bbq chicken recipe. 😉
If you’re looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes try these:
- Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole
- EASY Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
- Easy Instant Pot orange chicken
We make shredded beef tacos out of this French onion pressure cooker roast recipe too.
Here are the printable directions to make pressure cooker shredded chicken tacos.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 jar barbecue sauce 20 oz. or so, not honey style or one with a lot of sugar in it
- 1 c chunk pineapple
- 3 - 4 chicken breasts or 2 large ones cut in half, boneless / skinless
- 1 bag flour tortillas pkg. small
- 3/4 c water
- avocado sliced, optional
- 1 c pineapple juice from the can you're using
- 1 onion sliced, optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce optional
- 1 c cheese
- Empty 1/2 jar of barbecue sauce on bottom of Instant Pot.
- Put chicken breasts on top of your sauce, squeeze other half of jar on top of the chicken.
- Pour 3/4 c water inside your bbq sauce jar, put lid on and shake, pour this on top of chicken followed by chunks of pineapple (and sliced onion + soy sauce if you choose to add those). Gently stir so chicken is well coated.
- Close Instant Pot and make sure steam valve is closed. Set to poultry setting, high for 15 minutes (automatically sets to this time when you hit the poultry function).
- When it beeps do a quick release, and then lift lid.
- Use 2 forks to shred chicken right in the pot. Add some to small tortillas to make soft tacos with some cheese and avocado, or leave chicken whole and serve on top of rice.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉