Easy 3 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken recipe that we use to make soft tacos often! Simple pressure cooker dump recipe that’s healthy and so cheap that it feeds all 5 of us for under $10.00.
I’m in love with my Instant Pot! It makes dinnertime so much easier and I feel like I cook much more often for the 5 of us because of it, that’s a win win in my book. Last night I made this 4 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken “Hawaiian style” and it came out SO very delicious. I added it to small soft tortillas with some cheese and avocado slices and made tacos with it. Everyone raved about how good this turned out and it just took 15 minutes to cook in my new favorite appliance. Here is the easy recipe, and one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes now, especially for taco Tuesdays! (originally published 1/17, affiliate links present)
- Amazing doesn’t even describe this 3 ingredient Instant Pot recipe!
Just 3 ingredients and an Instant Pot and you’re ready to go!
- Here’s a tip: how to cook frozen chicken breasts in the Instant Pot just in case you forgot to thaw it beforehand.
We love it like I said, served in flour tortillas but we’ve served it over rice before too and it’s just as good. It is a pretty healthy chicken recipe too and really inexpensive to make costing only about $10 total for the whole meal which served all 5 of us + leftovers for me to eat it for lunch the next day.
Of course you can make this and create Instant Pot chicken bowls. Add all your favorite fixin’s on top with some Instant Pot white rice.
- This is one of our Instant Pot tacos.That’s usually the way we serve these chicken tacos up.
Totally up to you…….
This is what you need to make this 3 ingredient Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot
- I HIGHLY suggest you get this non stick pot
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce (about 20 oz., not honey style, we like this one)
- 1 can of chunk pineapple
- 3 -4 boneless chicken breasts
- diced, fresh or frozen
- already cooked shredded chicken is perfectly fine, just adjust time to 3 minutes high pressure
- Small tortillas, cheese, and avocado if you want to make them into soft tacos
- Onion – optional
- Pinch of chili powder for heat – optional
- Salt and pepper, garlic powder – optional
If you happen to have the burn message displayed on your pot follow these steps on how to deglaze your Instant Pot.
- There’s no need to cook the chicken. It will cook in the sauce and water or use chicken broth for liquid instead.
I’m constantly adding to my Instant Pot recipes. You can find them on my Instant Pot Recipes tab, so bookmark it and refer back to it later!
If you want to make this in your slow cooker here are the directions for crockpot bbq chicken recipe. 😉
If you’re looking for more chicken in the Instant Pot try these:
- Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole
- Try our cheap Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
- Easy Instant Pot orange chicken
I have found that 5 minutes on high is good for diced chicken breasts. 3 minutes for diced chicken thighs, and the poultry button works for whole breasts or an Instant Pot whole chicken.
- I have made this many times, but now prefer to dice chicken into bite size pieces. It is done faster, absorbs more of the sauce, and cooks more evenly. You’re also pretty assured it’s cooked through so you don’t have to check the internal temperature. Makes meal prep easy to just cut beforehand, and easier for kids to eat too.
Quick release and done!
Here’s a video to watch before making it yourself.
If you want to make slow cooker shredded chicken here’s a recipe using that method too.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 1 jar barbecue sauce 20 oz. or so, not honey style or one with a lot of sugar in it
- 1 c chunk pineapple
- 3 chicken breasts cut in half or thirds, boneless / skinless, can dice for shorter cook time
- 1 bag flour tortillas pkg. small
- 3/4 c water or use chicken broth
- avocado sliced, optional
- 1 c pineapple juice from the can you're using
- 1 onion sliced, optional
- 1 tbsp soy sauce optional
- 1 c cheese
- Empty 1/2 jar of barbecue sauce on bottom of Instant Pot. (do not use honey variety as that will burn)
- Put chicken breasts on top of your sauce. Make sure they are cut in half or thirds so they cook through. You can dice into bite size pcs. too for a shorter cook time. Then squeeze the other half of jar on top of the chicken.
- Pour 3/4 c water or broth inside your bbq sauce jar. Put lid on and shake, pour this on top of chicken followed by chunks of pineapple (and sliced onion + soy sauce if you choose to add that). Gently stir so chicken is well coated. If you dice the chicken into bite size pieces, set to high for 5 min.
- Close Instant Pot and make sure steam valve is closed. Set to poultry setting, high for 15 minutes (automatically sets to this time when you hit the poultry function, very thick breasts may take longer to become very tender to shred).
- When it beeps do a quick release, and then lift lid.
- Use 2 forks to shred chicken right in the pot. Add some to small tortillas to make soft tacos with some cheese and avocado, or leave chicken whole and serve on top of rice.
For more easy recipes, tips and crafts please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉