French onion pressure cooker roast is tender with tons of flavor. Perfect Instant Pot shredded beef tacos for dinner even your kids will rave about.
Yes we’re back with more meals to add to our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes! Today we’re here with what we’re calling french onion pressure cooker roast. We shredded it this time and made some crazy good tacos topped with avocado that didn’t last long between the 5 of us. Let us know what you think!
French Onion Instant Pot Roast
So we live in Idaho now where there are lots of farms. In this new world of ours people tend to stock up for the winter and buy half a cow, a pig, etc…
Then we can store it in a deep freezer in the garage so we’re set and have to go to the store less often. Buying meat in bulk is a game changer.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
This was a bit odd when we first got here but low and behold we did it and now we have LOTS of beef to use!
- I decided to add to our Instant Pot beef recipes and make a sort of shredded beef using one of the roasts we got. It turned out great!
You can make this as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe too if that is the brand you have on hand.
As always this pressure cooker roast came out super tender in no time at all as I just throw everything that sounds good together, toss, and wait until the beeper goes off to let me know it’s done.
Then I shred/slice the meat, put it back into the incredible juices to soak up more flavor, and get the toppings ready.
French onion Instant Pot roast
- We made Instant Pot tacos out of them
- Sliced roast thin
- Added into small flour tortillas
- Served with sliced avocado on top
- Served over Instant Pot white rice
- Made into a low carb meal / Instant Pot keto recipes
- Served inside lettuce, as lettuce wraps
- Eaten as is with a slice of avocado on top
- Served inside a bell pepper sliced in half
How else would you serve this style of pressure cooker shredded beef?
Ninja Foodi French Onion Roast
I personally like to have some sort of idea or meal schedule so I am prepared for dinner. We like to eat around 5 p.m. so I like to start early and using a pressure cooker gives me the ability to cook a large cut of meat like this one without having to spend a lot of time in the kitchen which I love.
To get a roast as tender as this one was I typically had to cook it in my slow cooker all day and I didn’t always think about dinner at 9 in the morning to get it going in time.
- My Instant Pot, Crockpot Express and new Ninja Foodi pressure cookers have truly changed my life and the way I cook. (yes I have all 3 and will share directions below for all)
I cook a lot more homemade meals now with this fancy thing….
Pressure cooker roast recipe
- Roast – we used a 2.75 lb. blade roast
- French onion soup mix packets
- Beef stock – or broth (french onion soup can be used as your liquid as well for a bolder onion flavor overall)
- Can of diced chiles – we used mild but spicier would be good too
Toppings for soft shredded beef tacos as well if you’re serving it like that, fresh avocado slices are our favorite.
Other easy pressure cooker recipes to try after this one!
- Instant Pot shredded pork
- Pressure cooker beef pot pie soup is great for another beef win
- Instant Pot shredded chicken goes along with the whole shredded meat dinner thing 😉
- If you’re making Crock Pot Express roast directions below will remain the same but pushing the pressure adjust button, high pressure, for the designated time (or longer if your piece of meat is substantially larger). Follow rest of instructions below.
- You can find more easy Crock Pot Express on my site too
- Making a Ninja Foodi roast? You will follow these directions
Want to cook a dutch oven roast ? We have instructions for that method here too. We have a lot of beef to cook take a peek at our Instant Pot cooking times printable so you can find how long each cut of meat takes to be perfectly tender.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
French Onion Pressure Cooker Roast
- Cut your roast into 4 equal pcs. if you’re making shredded beef, or in 2 equal pieces if you want to slice it when it’s done. (I recommend making shredded roast as it will want to fall apart)
- Put meat into your Instant Pot followed by your sliced onion, can of chiles, sprinkled in packets of french onion soup mix, and then pour your broth/stock on top of everything.
- Close your lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 55 minutes. (timing good for a 2.5-3.5 lb. roast, may need to adjust if using a smaller or larger piece of meat)
- Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release rest of steam.
- Remove meat and cut into small slices or shred if you’re making tacos/serving over rice, or slice and serve as is followed by a pour of the juices on top of your meat.