These NO bake rocky road bars with marshmallows and peanuts are the best desserts ever! Easy to make with the kids for any holiday.
Rocky road bars are fun to make! The only cooking required is to melt the chocolate and that can be done in the microwave. Such a quick easy dessert you’ll love.
Smores Bar Recipe
You could call them whatever you like really but there are similar ingredients in both. If you are making these with your kids it’s a good one. A double boiler works great but if you want to avoid the stove use the microwave!
That’s my choice even if I am making them myself really.
You can see the ingredients below, here’s a list so you can grab what you need at the store:
- Semi sweet chocolate chips, could use half peanut butter and chocolate chips
- Mini marshmallows
- Roasted peanuts salted or unsalted, depending on your preference
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Use a double boiler or large microwave safe bowl
- 9×13″ pan
- Parchment paper
It is important once you get the chocolate melted and smooth that you allow it to cool a while. You don’t want it to cool down too much but just enough for the marshmallows to not melt.
Easy No Bake Dessert
Here are a few questions you might have:
Typically you’ll find almonds, marshmallows and chocolate. Many times they’re found in ice cream but you can make these no bake smores bars too!
Amazon carries them in bulk, I’ve also seen them at the grocery store from time to time. BUT why search for them when you can make them homemade using our recipe here!
To make the cleanup just a bit easier you can lightly spray your pot or bowl with non stick spray. Beyond that once you pour it into your prepared pan fill it immediately with hot water and soap!
The biggest difference between rocky road bars and smores bars would be to swap out the nuts for Golden Grahams cereal. Graham crackers will get a bit soft for my taste in the warm chocolate mixture, the cereal works better.
There are a few other swaps you could make to change things up every time you make it. Use dark chocolate or white chips some time, or use 1/4 cup peanut butter chips.
Refrigeration isn’t really required. You can just sit it on the counter to stiffen up and reach room temperature. If you want to cut the bars really clean though and have straight sides, I’d cool in the fridge for 2 hours.
There’s a printable recipe card with nutritional information such as saturated fat and calories is at the bottom of this post. Here are quick instructions to get you started though:
Time needed: 20 minutes.
Rocky Road Bars
Line 13×9″ pan with parchment paper. Melt chocolate chips, butter and condensed milk in a double boiler.
Alternatively you can use a large glass bowl on 50% power and melt mixture in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between cook times.
Once melted allow melted chocolate to cool slightly, then stir in peanuts and marshmallows.
Pour mixture into lined pan and spread out so it’s the same thickness all the way across.
Chill for 2-3 hours until chocolate hardens, then cut into squares and enjoy.
And here they are! So pretty too if you want to jazz them up for the holidays with some sprinkles on top. Add these when it is still kinda’ warm in the pan so they stick well.
Looking for other chocolate dessert recipes to try after this one?
- Our Smores poke cake is always a winner with everyone.
- We have made a chocolate angel food cake before that was out of this world with very few ingredients.
- Chocolate banana muffins are great when you have overripe naners.
- We love Crockpot peanut clusters with holiday inspired sprinkles on top too.
And if you use frozen cinnamon rolls, you can now make a Rhodes monkey bread that is a really pretty bundt dessert.
How long can you keep no bake cookies?
Ok so these are more like chocolate bars but the storage info. is still the same. If you put these in a freezer bag with parchment or wax paper in between each layer they’ll last a good 2 weeks.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Rocky Road Bars
- Line 13×9" pan with parchment paper.
- Melt chocolate chips, butter and condensed milk in a double boiler. Alternatively you can use a large glass bowl on 50% power and melt mixture in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between cook times.
- Once melted allow to cool slightly, then stir in peanuts and marshmallows.
- Pour mixture into lined pan and spread out so it's the same thickness all the way across.
- Chill for 2-3 hours until chocolate hardens, then cut into squares and enjoy.