This 3 ingredient easy Instant Pot dump cake is delicious and can be made with any fruit filling! Just dump it in with cake mix and top with ice cream when it’s done. The perfect little pressure cooker dessert you’re whole family will enjoy.
This easy Instant Pot dump cake can be made with any fruit pie filling you like but we chose apple and it came out amazing! If you’ve never made a dump cake it means just that. You mix together a few ingredients, dump in your pie filling, cook and enjoy! We recently used white cake mix with blueberry pie filling and those flavors are delicious too. Now this is one of our favorite dessert Instant Pot recipes we’ve made, you can make it in any brand of pressure cooker you might have at home. 😉 (originally published 7/17)
Now on the list as one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes!
This is all you need to make Instant Pot dump cake
- Oven safe dish & trivet to cook this using the PIP method
- Pie filling (any kind but in pics here we used apple ), in video we used blueberry
- Box of cake mix (we used spice cake mix for the Fall here, but we’ve used others like white cake mix like in the video as well)
When cooking this easy Instant Pot dump cake dessert it does rise a bit so when you put the foil on top try to dome it so it doesn’t stick, I will either spray the inside of the foil with nonstick spray or use non stick aluminum foil if I have it on hand. If you don’t have it it isn’t a deal breaker, it will just stick slightly to the top where the foil meets the dump cake.
We topped off our easy dump cake with scoops with vanilla ice cream too which slowly melted and added even more flavor.
It’s pretty amazing….
The apple pie filling has quite a bit of moisture to it so unlike our traditional crockpot dump cake recipe (there are directions there on how to make it in the oven too) I used an egg instead of butter for this easy Instant Pot fruit dessert.
For this version with spice cake it took 28 minutes to cook through and be super moist. As with any easy dump cake recipe it is NOT dry at all and continues to cook while it is cooling so if it looks a bit wet when it comes out not to worry, it will be perfect when it’s cooled.
We have used yellow cake mix and a can of apple pie filling for the one below which comes out a looser consistency than the spice cake mix and takes a bit longer too but I have added the times in my printable recipe below.
Use what you like, it will work the same with pie filling and cake mix.
If you love this but would rather use fresh apples you should try our crockpot apple crisp that tastes similar but uses all fresh ingredients.
If I am in a hurry I can whip this together and it is enough for all 5 of us to have a warm dessert. Let us know what you think!
When you’re done making this you should try this easy Instant Pot cake too!
Here’s a video showing you how we made this using blueberry filling and white cake mix + the printable recipe so you can try this pressure cooker dump cake yourself!
** NOTE Spice Cake + Apple Pie Filling works as the BEST Instant Pot dump cake combo.
Instant Pot Dump Cake
- 1 c cake mix
- 1.5 c pie filling
- 1 egg
- Pour your cake mix in with 1 egg and mix together, then add pie filling and fold together so it is combined well.
- Pour 1.5 c of water into your Instant Pot and put a trivet at the bottom of your pot.
- Spray your oven safe bowl with non stick spray and dump your dump cake mixture into your dish, cover that with foil (can spray underside of foil with non stick spray to avoid sticking as well, I do) and make a sling out of foil to lower it on to your trivet inside your Instant Pot.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to: manual, pressure, high, for 28 minutes (if using spice cake and apple filling - this combo works BEST by far) or 35 minutes if using any other cake mix - white/yellow - and more liquid pie filling like blueberry). Do a natural release for 10 minutes. Release rest of pressure.
- Take out, remove foil, and let stand for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack so it can stiffen up and settle.
- Serve topped with ice cream!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉