This 3 ingredient easy Instant Pot dump cake with fruit filling is delicious! Just dump it in with cake mix and top with ice cream when it’s done. The perfect little pressure cooker dessert you’re whole family will enjoy.
This easy Instant Pot dump cake can be made with any fruit pie filling you like. We chose apple and it came out amazing! Now this is one of our favorite dessert Instant Pot recipes we’ve made, you can make it in any brand of pressure cooker you might have at home. 😉 (originally published 7/17)
If you’ve never made a dump cake it means just that. You mix together a few ingredients, dump in your pie filling, cook and enjoy!
We recently used white cake mix with blueberry pie filling and those flavors are delicious too.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot apple dump cake
- Oven safe cake pan or dish & trivet to cook this using the PIP method
- Pie filling – really the best is apple or cherry pie filling
- Box of cake mix – best one has been spice cake mix
- homemade yellow cake mix works too
When cooking this easy Instant Pot dump cake dessert it does rise a bit so when you put the foil on top try to dome it so it doesn’t stick.
I will either spray the inside of the foil with nonstick spray or use non stick aluminum foil if I have it on hand. If you don’t have it it isn’t a deal breaker. It will just stick slightly to the top where the foil meets the dump cake.
We topped it off with scoops with vanilla ice cream which slowly melted and added even more flavor.
It’s pretty amazing….
The apple pie filling has quite a bit of moisture to it so unlike our traditional dump cake recipe I used an egg instead of butter.
Dump cake in Instant Pot
As with any easy dump cake it is NOT dry at all and continues to cook while it is cooling. So if it looks a bit wet when it comes out not to worry. It will be perfect when it’s cooled.
We have also used yellow cake mix + a can of apple pie filling as seen below. It comes out a looser consistency than the spice cake mix and takes a bit longer too.
We have tested this recipe in different pans and with a variety of mixes and the one in the recipe card is best!
If you love this but would rather use fresh apples you should try our crockpot apple crisp that tastes similar but uses all fresh ingredients.
When you’re done making this you should try our other Instant Pot dessert recipes
- Instant Pot cake
- Our pressure cooker donuts are so fun
- We have a list of other easy dump cake recipes for the oven too
Instant Pot dump cake
I have made this right in the pot as you see in this video but some said they had some issues with it getting stuck so the one below is using the pot in pot method.
You could spray a bit of cooking spray inside your dish before adding the ingredients. This will help with clean up later. Whipped cream or ice cream works for the top of the cake if you wish, it’s plenty sweet as is though.
Time needed: 28 minutes.
Instant Pot cherry dump cake
In a bowl, pour your cake mix in with 1 egg and mix together, then add pie filling and fold together so it is combined well.
Pour 1.5 cups of water into your Instant Pot and put a trivet at the bottom of your pot. Spray your oven safe bowl with non stick spray and dump your dump cake mixture into your dish.
Cover that with foil (can spray underside of foil with non stick spray to avoid sticking as well, I do) and make a sling out of foil to lower it on to your trivet inside your Instant Pot.
Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to: manual, pressure cook, high, set the timer for a 28 minutes cook time. Do a natural release.
Take out, remove foil, and let stand for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack so it can stiffen up and settle. Serve topped with ice cream!
Tips to remember are: allow the steam to naturally vs. a quick release. This will allow the cake to continue cooking and not fall.
It needs a bit of time to stiffen and settle in too so allow some time to rest once it’s done.
We never have leftovers but if you did you could put foil over the top and put into the fridge. Enjoy it within the next 2 days or so for optimal results and taste.
Not in order to serve it, most times they’re served warm.
Leftover boxed cake mix recipes should reach room temperature and then stored in an airtight container in your fridge though.
Instant Pot Dump Cake
- Pour your cake mix in with 1 egg and mix together, then add pie filling and fold together so it is combined well.
- Pour 1.5 c of water into your Instant Pot and put a trivet at the bottom of your pot.
- Spray your oven safe bowl with non stick spray and dump your dump cake mixture into your dish, cover that with foil (can spray underside of foil with non stick spray to avoid sticking as well, I do) and make a sling out of foil to lower it on to your trivet inside your Instant Pot.
- Put lid on, close steam valve, and set to: manual, pressure, high, for 28 minutes. Do a natural release.
- Take out, remove foil, and let stand for 5-10 minutes on a cooling rack so it can stiffen up and settle.
- Serve topped with ice cream!