You’ve got to try this easy 3 ingredient cherry pie filling dump cake for dessert! It’s so simple to make even your kids can throw it together. This easy dump cake is really moist and packed with dark cherries or any other pie filling flavor you love. Cake mix baking has never been easier!
This easy cherry pie filling dump cake recipe literally only requires 3 ingredients and comes out so moist and delicious packed with fruit! We chose cherry but you could easily mix up the flavor of cake mix or pie filling and create a multitude of different possibilities. Now on the list as one of our favorite easy dump cake recipes! (originally published 9/18, affiliate links present)
- We love easy desserts and unlike traditional dump cakes, you won’t find powdery spots of mix or an overwhelming butter taste in this one.
It really did come out pretty fantastic.
I first started by creating these blueberry pie filling dump cake cupcakes that were so good. I thought I would take it from there and create other easy dump cake recipes like this one that’s kinda’ like a cherry pie cake of sorts.
You can see just how moist it came out…….
We topped it with vanilla ice cream for a few of us but I preferred it as is and even had a little slice for breakfast the next day. 😉 This time we used strawberry cake mix and cherry pie filling. You could opt for yellow, white, or make a chocolate cherry version if you prefer.
- The taste will vary a bit with every different choice, but the color will be the biggest difference you will see.
We call this cherry dump cake but really you can call it whatever you want!
Here is all you have to do”
- Melt your 2 tbsp stick of butter and mix in with your cake mix.
- GENTLY fold in your pie filling so the large pieces of fruit don’t get pulverized.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees and spray the inside of your pan with non stick spray.
- Pour batter in and smooth out so it’s even across the entire pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until middle feels like it is firming up, not jiggly.
Allow to cool and set up more for at least 15 minutes once you take it out of the oven. Slice and serve!
This is what you’ll need to get to make our easy cherry pie filling dump cake
- Box of cake mix – extra moist style is best
- Any dry cake mix works, you could try chocolate cake mix too
- Can of pie filling – Duncan Hines 21 or 20 oz. cans are perfect
- Pan – I used this 1.5 qt. baking dish but 8×8 square is more common and perfect too
- Cooking spray for easy cleanup and serving is a good idea
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top of the cake too!
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on too if you want some texture
Here’s a video showing you how we made it:
Want to try our chocolate cherry dump cake recipe you see here? This one uses eggs instead of slices of butter. Others use a can of crushed pineapple instead of pie filling for moisture. Try them all and see which ones are your favorite!
They come in very handy when company shows up at your door in the evening and you want to serve something. I also love having these in my back pocket when I’m craving something sweet but have little to no energy.
- There are slight variations when you’re making one of these cakes. What remains constant is that they’re extremely moist, and many times you have to scoop them out of the pan.
- If you want to try something else new, try our air fryer cake or air fryer apple dumplings next!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
If you want to keep the recipe handy you can print it out below:
Cherry Pie Filling Dump Cake
- Gently fold cake mix in with pie filling so you don't break up the fruit too much.
- Spray pan, an 8×8 square is the perfect size. Empty dump cake dough into pan. Pour melted butter on top.
- Put into preheated oven at 375 degrees. Bake for about 35 minutes or until middle feels set but still soft.
- Allow to cool in pan so it further stiffens up. Serve!