This is how to make ice cream at home using 2 bags!! It’s an easy activity to do with your kids that is yummy and easy to do. You just need a few items to make homemade no churn ice cream without the need of an ice cream maker, really! You’ve got to try this with them this summer.
We don’t have an expensive ice cream maker but my teenager saw a picture online a while back of how to make ice cream at home using bags and we thought we would give it a whirl! You never know whether what you see online really works, and this was one of those “well, we will see” kitchen experiments…..funny thing was it worked! Here is how to make ice cream at home using 2 baggies. (originally published 2/16, affiliate links present)
It was really fun actually and from start to finish only took about 10 minutes!! A great kid’s activity to do at a Girl Scout meeting, sleepover, or on a rainy or lazy day because the kids loved it!!
- Anything new is fun to do with kids. When you can get them involved in the kitchen “cooking” it’s even better! Here is how you make this homemade ice cream recipe.
This is how to make ice cream at home and what you’ll need
- Ice cream salt
- Half and half
- Vanilla extract
- Large gallon sized freezer bag
- to hold your ice and salt
- Pint size freezer plastic bag
- for your ice cream mixture
- Towel – so you won’t freezer your hands
- Whip cream for topping if you want
- Small toppings are optional
As you can see you aren’t going to use the typical ice cream base ingredients. If you use an ice cream machine a lot of recipes call for sweetened condensed milk, heavy cream and/or cream and milk. This one uses very few ingredients which is nice. If you haven’t made frozen desserts at home yourself this is a great starting point.
This is what the ice cream salt looks like, regular table salt WILL NOT work. It’s very chunky and allows the ice to get COLD COLD COLDER. That is why you really need a hand towel to wrap around it while you’re shaking. Otherwise you hands will become completely numb and that isn’t fun.
- This is how to make ice cream at home using just two bags.You will want to fill a gallon freezer bag halfway full of ice and then add 1/2 c. of Kosher or Ice Cream salt (I chose ice cream salt because it was cheaper).
- Now fill a pint or quart sized freezer bag with 1 c. half and half, 1 tbsp. vanilla, 2 tbsp. sugar, and any other things you’d like such as crushed chocolate chips, sprinkles etc.
- Put the pint sized bag into the ice (take all air out of that bag)
- Seal the gallon freezer bag after eliminating all the air out of that bag too
- Wrap a towel around the whole thing and use that to hold it (so you don’t freeze)
- Now start shaking!!
- You will shake, and shake, and shake…oh and shake some more until you can feel the inside bag and it is as thick as you want it to be.
Here’s a video showing you how to make ice cream at home in a bag
It took ours about 8 minutes, but 5-10 is average. It’s really pretty cool.
Once again, I would HIGHLY suggest putting a dish towel around the bag when you or your kids shake. It gets quite cold. After a few minutes we shook it over the sink because it began to drip water a bit but not too badly.
Great family fun to do that is inexpensive and yummy too!
I let my kids do this part because it is fun for them and yes they have a lot more energy than I do. You can pass it around from you to them and back again for a while and check in between and let everyone decide when enough is enough and you’re ready to dig in.
This time we didn’t add any sprinkles or anything we just made vanilla ice cream and it was quite delicious. Make sure you rinse off the outside of your inner pint bag so the salt doesn’t get into your ice cream when you scoop it out, that can be kinda’ yucky.
If you’re looking for more fun and cheap things to do with kids check these ideas out
You can make this no churn chocolate ice cream at home next!
Ice cream in a bag printable directions:
How to Make Ice Cream at Home
- 1/2 c ice cream salt
- 1 c half and half
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2-3 tbsp small toppings
- 1/2 bag ice
- Add your ice cream salt into a gallon freezer bag.
- In a pint size freezer bag fill it with half and half, vanilla, sugar, and any other small toppings.
- Zip pint size bag making sure there is NO air inside.
- Fill gallon freezer bag half way full with ice, add your ice cream salt, and put this filled pint size bag in the middle of all that ice and salt.
- Remove air from the gallon bag and zip closed well.
- Cover the gallon bag with a towel, grab, and shake for 5-10 minutes.
- Check your ice cream and keep shaking until it is a thick consistency you want.