Cherry coffee cake with pie filling is a delicious breakfast or dessert we all love. One of our favorite cake mix recipes made with fruit baked inside is just so yummy.
Pie filling cherry cake mix coffee cake is a hit with my family. With a simple glaze on top it turns out moist and is easy easy to throw together as a dump cake is. Change it up with your favorite mix and fruit for endless combinations for a year round treat. (affiliate links present)
Cherry Crumb Coffee Cake
It all is kinda’ layered in this dish. Mix up the batter and pour in, then goes your fruit and on top you can make an easy crumb topping recipe too. That is what cake with your coffee should be all about right. Tender bites with a bit of ooey gooey from top to bottom. Period.
For this one we use yellow or white cake mix and cherry filling. Not featured is another we have made with homemade apple pie filling and spice cake. A great choice during the Fall when you those are the flavors you crave during that time. I have even found pumpkin mix from time to time and that has been amazing!
Cake Mix Cherry Coffee Cake
This is a bit different from our cherry dump cake, but the same idea. This one requires a few more ingredients and will remind you more of the box of Entenmanns you had as a child. Served warm or cold right out of the fridge if you have leftovers it never lasts long in our house. You’ll need;
- 1 box or homemade yellow cake mix. You could use white, cherry, strawberry or any other flavor you like really.
- All purpose flour
- 1 pkg active dry yeast or 2 1/4 tsp
- Warm water 120-130 degrees
- Pie filling
- Melted butter
- You’ll want a 9×13″ baking pan too
Cake Mix Coffee Cake
Super easy homemade glaze / frosting can be made with some powdered sugar (or confectioners sugar), corn syrup and some water. A touch of vanilla extract or almond extract in there is great too. We do the same thing over our maraschino cherry bread.
You could use a tub of frosting from the store and just warm in the microwave so you can pour it over the top of the whole thing. I do this and drizzle just a tad on our healthy coffee cake and it’s pretty amazing.
Cherry Coffee Cake with Cherry Pie Filling
Ok so you could make your own filling if you wanted. I have done this when I had extra apples but not this type. When we did go fresh cherry picking they were the sour type so instead I made this tart cherry crisp recipe instead. Left whole cut in half it added a lot of flavor and texture to that dish. You could sweeten them up though.
You aren’t going to make the cake batter just as directed on the back of the box, there are a few tweaks. You’ll want a bit of yeast with some warm water so that can bubble up first. A few eggs and a bit more added flour will make it more dense as you would want it to be.
Melted butter will be used for the topping. If you sit it out to get to room temperature you can just melt in the microwave for 15 seconds at that point. Needing a dairy free coffee cake recipe?? My husband has the same needs. I have found a great lactose free plant based butter product lately that works great.
Fruit Coffee Cake
Love love integrating fruit. I have done this with our banana coffee cake too but that is homemade and takes longer to make. There’s a printable recipe listed below for you but will go over it quickly here. You’ll want to keep 1/4 cup of extra frosting on the side per serving or two so you can add more later.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, beat together 1 ½ cups cake mix, flour, yeast, and warm water until well blended.
- Add the eggs and mix just until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly across the bottom. Drop the pie filling a little at a time to create an even layer.
- I just use a 1/4 or 1/2 cup measuring cup to scoop and dump into blobs all over 😉
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining cake mix and melted butter.
- Crumble the mixture and sprinkle over the top of the cherry pie filling.
- Bake the coffee cake for 35 minutes to 40 min.
- Allow the coffee cake to cool on a wire rack until warm.
- In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the glaze. Spoon the glaze over the top of the coffee cake. Slice into bars and serve warm.
If you do not want to use butter, or don’t have any, sour cream is a great alternative. Actually gives it even more moisture and won’t turn out sour with all the other ingredients. You could add 2 tbsp of added granulated sugar with that too though if you wanted to.
How do you store leftover coffee cake?
You don’t need or want to store this in the fridge, it will dry it out unnecessarily. Instead wait until is has completely cooled. Then move it over into an airtight container and keep on the countertop. It will stay well this way for up to 4 days. For best results you will want to warm when ready and extra glaze on top will moisten it up again too.
You can whip up some more with just some powdered sugar and enough water to loosen it up. Drizzle that on top, heat for 45 seconds and enjoy again until it disappears. 😉 That is what I make to dress our coffee cake cookies too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Cherry Coffee Cake
- 1 9×13 pan
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a mixing bowl, beat together 1 ½ cups cake mix, flour, yeast, and warm water until well blended.
- Add the eggs and mix just until combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread evenly across the bottom. Drop the pie filling a little at a time to create an even layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the remaining cake mix and melted butter. Crumble the mixture and sprinkle over the top of the cherry pie filling. Bake the coffee cake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Allow the coffee cake to cool on a wire rack until warm. In a small bowl, stir together the ingredients for the glaze. Spoon the glaze over the top of the coffee cake. Slice into bars and serve warm.