Best crumb topping for muffins that is sweet with some texture that adds to the deliciousness of your favorite muffin recipes.
Thinking of adding a crumb topping for muffins in this next batch? Do it! Not only does it add a bit more sweetness but it makes them prettier too if you ask me. Just one tip in our best muffin recipes post. (affiliate links present)
I mean this isn’t a must but it definitely takes a basic muffin recipe up a notch to a holy moly bite for sure. Just 5 extra minutes to mix this up is all you need for greatness y’all…..
You can call it crumb or streusel, they both kinda’ mean the same to me but some people feel there’s a bigger distinction.
What is the difference between streusel and crumb topping?
If you need to know how they generally are differentiated, the first typically includes oats and is less dense. This one is “cakey” while the other you’d more likely find on something like our huckleberry cobbler or something.
To make this crumble or streusel topping for muffins you will need some room temperature butter and a few other ingredients you probably have in your pantry;
- All purpose flour will be a base of sorts and give it some ooompf
- Room temperature butter is necessary binder to combine everything and bring a bit of moisture. Do not use cold or melted, right in between on the counter for a few hours is perfect.
- Brown sugar will bring sweetness and a warmth to this yummy topping.
- White sugar is great to add more sweet but not as strong as it’s brown counterpart.
- A pinch of salt will counterbalance the sweet
- Cinnamon and vanilla are great flavors to add to all baked goods if you ask me.
- Oats like in our pumpkin streusel muffins is fun.
- Nuts like candied pecans in our pumpkin banana muffins are yummy.
Use either a fork or pastry cutter to integrate everything together so it is well incorporated. You could leave the butter out if you wanted to make a large batch of this.
If using it often that is what I would do. Use a large bowl to triple or quadruple the measurements below. Remember to portion it out for future uses. Store in small pint size freezer bags and suck all the air out so it doesn’t dry out.
Then when you have your batter ready you can just scoop some out, combine with butter and you’re ready to use it.
How to Make Crumb Topping for Muffins
You really just throw everything together, combine it all in the flour mixture in a medium bowl and you’re set. Don’t melt the butter per say but you don’t want it straight out of the fridge either.
This crumble topping will go on the top of your muffin batter. You’ll want to gently press down just a tad so it sticks and doesn’t want to fall out of the muffin tins.
One you have your homemade blueberry muffins batter ready full of fresh blueberries folded inside you’re ready for this next step:
- In a bowl combine together your dry ingredients like flour and salt. Then cut room temperature butter into pieces and add this and wet ingredient, vanilla.
- Use fork to incorporate it together. Mix in vanilla, sugar and cinnamon into crumble.
- Sprinkle on top of filled muffin cups and touch gently so it doesn’t fall off while baking.
Blueberry Muffins with Crumb
I mean we put this on top of all sorts of baked goods like banana zucchini muffins and the list goes on and on. I’ll list a few of our other favorites to use this on below:
We have even added it on top of these muffin tops as you can see here above. If you haven’t tried these they are great. I mean the best part is the top anyway, so eliminate the bottom that gets more “done” and just enjoy the greatness shall we?
- You can put this on a batch of moist zucchini bread if you want to make a whole loaf. OR just cut down the baking time to about 20 minutes and turn this batter into regular sized muffins too.
- Apple zucchini muffins are yummy with this add on.
We added it to our zucchini blueberry muffins as you see here. Half didn’t have it on top so we compared, the WITH won over big time with everyone I tell you.
Now what if you make double batch or have leftovers and want to save them?
How do you keep crumb topping from getting soggy?
Wait until they are completely cool. Slide into a freezer bag in one layer. Add 1-2 saltine crackers on the bottom or in between them to absorb the moisture in the bag. That will work wonders!
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Crumb Topping for Muffins
- In a bowl mix together flour and salt, then cut room temperature butter into pieces and add. Use fork to incorporate it together.
- Mix in vanilla, sugar and cinnamon into crumble. Sprinkle on top of filled muffin cups and touch gently so it doesn't fall off while baking.