You’ve gotta try Grandma’s moist zucchini bread recipe we’ve made for years and are finally sharing her secrets with you today. It. Is. Delicious!
What makes the best zucchini bread, well I guess it depends on who you ask but I will say that Grandma’s moist zucchini bread recipe is just the best! We’ve made sweet breads for years. I assumed everyone had their own family recipe for the best zucchini bread. Then it dawned on me that this may not be true. So, we’re sharing our family recipe with you today. (sponsored by WonderMix, originally published 10/18, affiliate links present)
Here are our tips for making the best zucchini bread
- Of course you can buy them year round usually, but we have a TON right in our own vegetable garden every year!
This is a great recipe if you have a lot to use each season too! It’s a quick bread you can enjoy right away, and freeze another loaf for another day.
- Follow our moist zucchini bread recipe after all we think it is the best 😉
- Use the freshest zucchini that are medium in size
- You do NOT want to use a huge zucchini because when it’s grated it will become somewhat mushy and make your bread well…..kinda’ mushy
- Make sure all of your ingredients are mixed in well creating a smooth batter – we use our countertop mixer for this
- Do NOT add in your grated zucchini until your batter is mixed well, then gently fold in so it doesn’t break apart
- Make sure to preheat your oven or it will not bake at an even temperature
- Place loaves on the middle rack to ensure an even bake and prevent top from getting too brown while middle is not done yet
2 MOST Important tips – Do NOT over bake it and Squeeze out the moisture in your zucchini
- Leave it in for the minimum amount of time in your recipe
- check with a toothpick in the center
- add 3 minutes if needed
- check again
- Right when the toothpick comes out clean and it barely springs back when you gently touch it in the center take it out!
- Put it on a cooling rack until it is cool enough to gently flip over
- Place it on 2 paper towels or cutting board to cool the rest of the way
- This will keep it moist and prevent it from continuing to bake in your hot loaf pan
- Leave it in for the minimum amount of time in your recipe
Now make sure you get all the moisture out of your grated zucchini before you add it into your bowl.
- Like this!
- Shred on to a few paper towels folded together
- Fold them over and press so liquid is absorbed
- If it is still really wet fold it together like a package and squeeze it out into the sink!
- Once moisture is eliminated add it in at the end once the batter is all mixed.
If you don’t have a great countertop mixer I suggest you make the investment.
It is something that should last you a lifetime and makes baking so much easier.
- The mixer we have has many functions as you see here with a blender attachment and many other uses. It fits right under my cabinets which I love. Gotta’ love dual purpose appliances!!
We’re using the attachment to make sweet breads and cookies today of course.
What you need to make Grandma’s moist zucchini bread recipe
- Large bowl for dry ingredients & 1 for wet
- Medium / Large zucchini – shredded, moisture removed
- Flour – this is how to measure flour so it doesn’t come out dense
- Baking powder & baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Oil & vanilla
- Zucchini – remember to choose small/medium at the store or from your garden (we have a ton in ours)
- Almond extract
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips are optional
Once everything is incorporated well you will be able to bake 2 loaf pans, 1 is seen here, or we usually make 1 loaf + 12 muffins or so.
This is the best moist zucchini bread recipe ever!
Once you enjoy this you should try our other yummy breakfast recipes
- Zucchini pineapple bread is a great variation of this one
- Pumpkin zucchini muffins
- Banana zucchini muffins
- Moist pumpkin bread
- Caramel pumpkin monkey bread
Our air fryer zucchini chips are amazing snacks too.
Of course you can make super moist zucchini muffins using this recipe as well!
- Just adjust your bake time to about 18-22 minutes or until they spring back when gently touched in the middle of a muffin.
- We make them this way many times because they’re easier to serve and gets done more evenly.
How do you know when zucchini bread is done?
Test With A Toothpick – After 50 minutes start testing your bread for doneness meaning stick a toothpick in the center. If it is inserted in the center and the center comes out clean it is done. If batter sticks to the toothpick, you’re looking at more cooking time.
How do you store zucchini bread in the freezer?
It will last two to three months if properly wrapped. Double-wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, then in foil. When you thaw zucchini bread remove the foil but leave the plastic wrap on until it is completely thawed. Then warm for 30 seconds in the microwave.
Print recipe below, nutritional info. including saturated fat etc. is below too:
Moist Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Add all dry ingredients into one bowl and mix well.
- Add all wet ingredients (except zucchini) into another bowl and use a mixer on low to mix together.
- Slowly mix your dry ingredients into your wet ingredient bowl, 1/3 mix at a time until it is all combined well. Then shred your zucchini on to a few paper towels folded together. Fold over shredded zucchini and press down to get out moisture, squeeze over sink if necessary to get all liquid out. Then gently fold in your shredded zucchini into your batter.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with non stick spray or line with parchment paper and bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick placed into the middle comes out clean, or middle starts to spring back when gently touched in the middle. Do NOT overbake them that is the key to keeping them moist.
- Allow to cool just enough where you can gently flip it over and remove from the loaf pan so it doesn't continue cooking. Put on cutting board to slice when cooled.
- For added yum drizzle some melted vanilla frosting on top of each piece when it is served.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉
Here’s more information about WonderMix:
- 3 Speeds + Pulse
- Large 22 Cup Mixing Bowl (5.5 qt.)
- Heavy Duty Dough Hook
- Bowl handle
- BPA Free
- Quiet Operation
- Dishwasher Safe Bowl
- Safety Bowl Locking System
- Double Beating Whisks
- For a limited time: comes with Cookie Whips & Blender – I got those too!