Our banana bread with mayonnaise recipe is super moist! You just need overripe bananas and 6 other ingredients to make this in a loaf pan or mayo banana bread muffins.
If you’ve never made banana bread with mayonnaise it’s quite easy. Don’t make a face, nobody will ever know it’s there. Just makes moist banana muffins with only a few ingredients. One of the best muffin recipes using brown bananas. 😉 (affiliate links present, originally published 10/20)
Mayo Banana Bread
- I’m one of those people that just can’t throw away overripe bananas!
- Maybe my mama taught me the whole “no food goes to waste” thing early, but really they’re golden.
- These mayonnaise banana bread isn’t quite as easy as our 4 ingredient banana bread, but almost.
When my ‘naners are getting pretty brown I stick them in the fridge to slow down the process. If I’m ready to bake I just go for it and smash them in a bowl. Depends on the day.
Yes I use two bowls because you always want to mix the dry ingredients together before adding to the egg mixture. Prep time is only about 5 minutes though. By the time your oven is preheated you should be done.
Oil, egg yolk and some sort of acid is necessary to make it homemade. Most people use vinegar or lemon juice as the final ingredient. For banana muffins with mayonnaise I used Best Foods.
We make banana muffins more often than bread. They bake faster and there is no slicing required. Great grab and go breakfast. You could use a small bundt pan to make it too.
If you have leftovers I would just wrap it properly in plastic wrap, and then inside a freezer bag. Leave it on the counter for up to 3 days and enjoy 1 slice at a time. Don’t cut it until you’re ready to eat it.
Refrigerating sweet breads dry them out.
If you wanted to add a whirl of chocolate flavor you could. Use the measurements in our banana nutella muffins for how we did that.
Mayonnaise Banana Bread
Ingredients you’re going to need to make this, and substitutions that could be made. Of course feel free to add chopped nuts and/or chocolate chips too if you wish.
- Small and large bowl to mix
- Very ripe bananas
- do not use Miracle Whip, use “regular” mayo like this
- no light stuff either, come on now friends…..
- if you are totally out, you could substitute sour cream instead
- All purpose flour
- Baking Soda
- Pinch of salt
- Loaf pan or muffin tin
If you’re making air fryer banana bread you’ll need a 7″ bundt pan. It will make two of those.
Banana Bread with Mayo
I will say I make muffins 10x over loaves any day of the week. 20 or so minutes versus a bit over an hour is why. AND it is cleaner when you have kids because they can just grab and eat, no messy cutting involved.
Let’s talk about ripe bananas and tips on making super moist banana muffins shall we, ideally you should:
- Wait until they are almost black in color.
- Leave a bit of chunk in your mashed bananas. It lends more flavor to your banana bread recipe to have bigger chunks here and there.
- Make sure to preheat oven to 350 degrees before adding your pan.
- DO NOT overbake your creation! Take them out when toothpick inserted into the center comes out MOSTLY clean.
- If it is totally dry you’ve baked it too long.
- It should have some crumbs or a tiny bit of wetness to it.
- Remove pan, put on cooling rack.
- Do not remove loaf until it has cooled, it needs to solidify in the pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
You can choose to bake a 9×5 loaf, or about 14 muffins.
Time needed: 23 minutes.
Banana Bread with Mayonnaise
Mix flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in one bowl. Mash bananas in another and then add mayo., egg, and vanilla. Mix those well in another bowl. Then combine the two.
It will be a bit lumpy and that is okay, I don’t like mashing my bananas until they are completely smooth, I’d rather have some chunks.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If using a 9×5 loaf pan, lay a piece of parchment paper down so it drapes over the sides. For muffin, use liners in each hole. OR make muffin tops that take less time to bake.
Pour in batter and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes for a loaf or 23 minutes for muffins. Check by inserting a toothpick at 60 minutes to see if it comes out Mostly clean (some crumbs, a tiny bit wet).
Baked or air fryer muffins (only takes 12 minutes) should spring back when gently touched in the center.
You don’t want to overbake it so once it is at this point, remove, put pan on cooling rack and wait a good 45 minutes until cooled to lift out paper with loaf on it and slice.
Keeping inside the pan will allow it to continue baking and solidifying the center more. This keeps it moist.
Banana Bread Recipe with Mayo
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Banana Bread with Mayonnaise
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mash bananas in another and then add mayo., egg, vanilla and sugar. Mix those well in another bowl. Then combine the two.
- It will be a bit lumpy and that is okay, I don't like mashing my bananas until they are completely smooth, I'd rather have some chunks.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using a 9×5 loaf pan, lay a piece of parchment paper down so it drapes over the sides. Pour in batter and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check by inserting a toothpick at 60 minutes to see if it comes out Mostly clean (some crumbs, a tiny bit wet).
- You don't want to overbake it so once it is at this point, remove, put pan on cooling rack and wait until cooled to lift out paper with loaf on it and slice. Keeping inside the pan will allow it to continue baking and solidifying the center more. This keeps it moist.
- If making muffins, fill muffin liners 3/4 of the way full and bake for 23 minutes until center springs back when gently touched.