The easiest 5 ingredient Instant Pot chili recipe ever and costs less than $10 total to make. Healthy pressure cooker one pot meal my kids go crazy over! Additional instructions for Instant Pot vegetarian chili added too now!
I’ve been obsessed with my crockpot for years but when I saw this new thing called the Instant Pot it got me curious. The first thing I cooked was some of the easiest Instant Pot chili ever. It came out amazing and is now one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes, so easy too. (originally posted 1/17, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Chili
You can certainly use your Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi pot to make this as well. You just need the high pressure function for about ten minutes and all electric pressure cookers have that. We only use 5 ingredients but it is a great base to add a bunch of other things into the mix too.
Love spicy chili? Then by all means add some Sriracha or red pepper flakes, this one is mild but full of flavor. I typically use a chili seasoning packet but have an alternative listed below too if you don’t have one of those on hand.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
This was my first attempt making an Instant Pot recipe but this Instant Pot chili really is very user friendly.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot you can find one here.
- I first set it to sauté and when it beeped I put a bit of olive oil and my ground beef inside
- Then added some diced onions and in about 4 minutes it was browned
- Next, I added my other 4 ingredients, secured the lid, and pushed bean/chili button
- I have used high pressure too
This easy chili is so good it’s been on the top 10 most popular Instant Pot recipes TWO years in a row!
I released the pressure valve at the top and once it was about done I opened the lid. It really did cook it well in just that short amount of time and softened the can of beans inside quite well.
- I make this 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe all the time but now that I have an Instant Pot it has saved me lots of time.
You can still set it for a longer time if you’re going to be gone all day and use the slow cooker function on it but using the pressure cooker function makes it done really fast!
Instant Pot chili packet
- Set your Instant Pot to saute
- Add ground beef and onions
- Brown until most of pink is gone
- Add all other ingredients
- Put lid on, close steam valve
- Push pressure button
- Push pressure button again so it is on high
- Set time to 10 minutes (use + and – buttons to adjust)
- When done allow to naturally release (takes about 15 min.)
In this post there is a video showing you how easy Instant Pot chili is to make
If you need to set it for the day and go follow the directions above but push the slow cooker setting instead of manual and pressure. It should automatically set to 4 hours total so it is still shorter than cooking in a traditional crockpot AND you don’t have to dirty a pan on the stovetop to cook the meat beforehand.
You can also easily leave out the meat and make an easy vegetarian Instant Pot chili too with this. Either way, the fast or slower version tastes great, depends on how much time you have.
Instant Pot chili
- Lean ground beef
- can use ground sausage or ground turkey too
- Kidney beans (I usually use these)
- Diced tomatoes (I like these)
- Tomato sauce (this small can is perfect)
- Onion (optional)
- Rice – here’s how to make the perfect Instant Pot white rice
- or serve inside pressure cooker baked potatoes
Instant Pot Chili 5 Ingredients
Tips for making the BEST pot of pressure cooker chili
- Use 1/2 lb. of spicy sausage and 1/2 lb. of regular sausage instead of ground beef. I’m telling you, this makes it amazing if you’re okay with ground sausage
- this is how to defrost Instant Pot frozen ground beef in case you forgot to thaw it out the night before. 😉
- Load it up with diced onions and bell peppers
- they will soften as this cooks and brings a great flavor and texture to your chili
- Use a packet of chili seasoning – it creates a lot of flavor
- Put a wollop of cheese on top when your chili is done
Can you double this recipe? YES! Here it is with twice the ingredients but the same pressure cook timing.
Instant Pot Chili Easy
Once you’ve got that covered you can move on with this printable recipe for Instant Pot chili with beans recipe
- This recipe can easily be doubled as you see here above
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot as you see here!
- Directions for Crockpot Express chili are almost identical
- Press the manual pressure button – if you have one
- Cook for 15 minutes
- Do a quick release
- If you don’t have a manual pressure button use the bean/stew button for 20 minutes
- Quick release
- Directions for Crockpot Express chili are almost identical
- I suggest using 1 lb. of spicy ground sausage and 1 lb. of regular sausage if you double this recipe
- Make sure you get brown bits of meat off bottom of the pot after saute setting or you may get the burn on Instant Pot notice.
Can you substitute chicken for beef in chili?
- Yes just cut boneless skinless breasts in half
- Add this and all other ingredients into pot
- Set to high pressure for 10 minutes
- Shred chicken and serve (of course check to ensure meat is done in the middle)
What if you want to make Instant Pot vegetarian chili?
We have a recipe for that too! This is also a delicious recipe using black beans or any style you like. Let us share this meatless hearty chili recipe below with you.
This is how you cook chili without meat
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 30 oz. canned kidney beans, drained
- A green and red bell pepper diced
- One jalapeno, seeds removed and diced finely – optional for heat
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin
- Tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. chili seasoning, dry mix
- 2 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- if you just wanted a meatless chili you could use beef broth
- A bay leaf is optional
5 Ingredient Instant Pot Chili Vegetarian
Directions to follow for this vegetarian chili. You can just leave the meat out of the printable recipe card at the bottom really, so it’s really only 4 things needed.
First you’ll want to prep all of your ingredients and have them ready to add in to your pressure cooker. These are both easy recipes with as few steps as I can create so you can eat together more often. 😉
- Set pot to saute and add olive oil, onion and cook until they’re translucent.
- Add minced garlic and quinoa now stirring to combine well. Cook until quinoa becomes lightly browned.
- turn Instant Pot off at this time.
- Pour all other ingredients into your pot at this time and stir.
- Close lid and pressure release valve and set to pressure cook high for 15 minutes.
- Do a quick release, remove lid carefully. Discard bay leaf if you added one.
- It will be hot, add to bowls with cheese on top if desired.
Love lots of chili toppings and ideas, or want to make a chili bar for a get together??!!
- Shredded cheese is a given, we love sharp the best
- Sliced avocado is a must if I can find them in season
- Some people like sliced olives on top
- Additional chopped tomatoes can be added
- Crush some tortilla chips on top to give it a little crunch and texture
- Salsa is great for a bang!
- If you want to add some real heat, add a few slices of jalapeno y’all!
If you are in need of Ninja Foodi chili instructions refer to the post here. We cook our pressure cooker chili at least 2-3 times a month, sometimes weekly.
It’s one of our cheap Instant Pot recipes as well because all the ingredients run you under $10 and feeds all 5 of us.
If you love this, you should try a few of these other easy Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot chili mac recipe
- Pressure cooker chili with dry beans
- Fave Instant Pot red beans and rice
Instant Pot chili recipe
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Chili
- 1 lb ground beef 1/2 lb. spicy ground sausage + 1/2 lb. regular ground sausage is best if you like a ton of flavor and a bit of heat
- 1 can diced tomatoes 14.5 oz, we prefer petite diced
- 1 can kidney beans 15 oz.
- 1 small can tomato sauce 8 oz.
- 1 packet chili seasoning or use 1 tsp Lawry's seasoning salt + 1 tbsp. dry minced onions + 1 tsp garlic salt + 1/4 – 1/2 tsp chili powder instead
- 1/2 bell pepper diced, optional
- 1 onion diced, optional
- Set instant pot to saute add a few tbsp of olive oil and brown meat, add onions and bell peppers if desired. Cook until onions soften a bit. Drain if desired, I do not drain.
- Empty cans of beans, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes on top (do not drain cans before adding).. Add packet of chili seasoning and stir everything together.
- Set it to manual, pressure, high for 10 minutes. Do a natural release for 5 minutes followed by a quick release of steam.
- Done! Serve by itself with cheese on top or on top of rice or potatoes.