This Instant Pot beef tips and mushroom gravy recipe is the bomb! Tender sirloin or stew meat in your pressure cooker packed with flavor everyone will love.
Let me tell you how amazing this Instant Pot beef tips and mushroom gravy turned out! Actually it is too hard to describe so you’ll just have to make it yourself this week. 😉 If you’ve made any of my Instant Pot recipes you know how easy they are. I also focus on inexpensive meals so use either stew meat or sirloin (which is what I had on hand). Guaranteed, this will become a keeper. (affiliate links present)
- This recipe was created quite by accident actually. I wasn’t planning on creating a new pressure cooker recipe that day but once it was done I HAD to share it.
Let’s start with the steak I used.
As I’ve stated in the past we bought a cow from a local organic farmer and have a large freezer packed with all kinds of cuts.
- We don’t cook beef very often, with the exception of ground beef which I find super easy to use. If I use the other cuts it’s because they’re about to spoil or my husband has a craving for it.
Sirloin steaks were on the menu, and I couldn’t wait another day to use them up before they went bad. I have to be honest, if I’m going to make a new Instant Pot beef recipe I almost always dice it into bite size pieces before cooking it.
Dicing it up makes it easier to eat, and comes out as tender as possible this way I feel.
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot beef tips
- Pressure cooker
- Sirloin steak or beef stew meat
- Gravy packet – we used this one
- Baby bella mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Beef broth
- Salt and pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- Garlic salt
I serve it over a bed of wide egg noodles but Instant Pot white rice would be great too. They’re made separately but typically pressure cooked in my other electric pressure cooker.
Does Instant Pot make meat tender?
- Meats in a pressure cooker become quite tender no matter what cut it is. How tender depends on several factors:
What makes this Instant Pot beef tips recipe SO good though is the gravy. It. Is. Amazing!
It is a bit like the taste in Instant Pot beef stroganoff but there’s more of it and it has a stronger, richer flavor. In that one I used cream of mushroom soup, however this one is more homemade than that.
Follow these steps:
- Saute beef tips with olive oil until you’ve browned the meat
- Then scrape brown bits off the bottom to deglaze the Instant Pot
- Add ingredients other than dry gravy mix and cook for 15 minutes with a 5 minute natural release = 20 minutes cook time
- Then do a quick release
- Set to saute again, add remaining broth and gravy and allow to bubble and thicken
Other Instant Pot recipes you should try next:
- Our Instant Pot beef stew casserole is incredible.
- Pressure cooker shredded beef
- Instant Pot beef and broccoli recipe
- Find more Instant Pot steak recipes here!
If you want to cook steak in a Crockpot we love that too.
Instant Pot Beef Tips
- Cut steak into small bite size pieces, the smaller the more tender they will be.
- Add olive oil to pot and set to saute. Put beef into pot and sear outsides, then take out and put into a bowl if you do not have a non stick pot so you can deglaze your pot with your 1/3 c broth (with non stick pots this isn't necessary).
- Pour 1/3 c broth into pot if you didn't already in last step. Put beef back into pot if you removed it with onions on top, followed by halved mushrooms and worcestershire sauce.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow to naturally release steam for 5 minutes when done, then release rest of steam.
- Lift lid and set to saute again. In a bowl whisk together remaining 1/3 c broth and packet of dry gravy mix until smooth.
- When contents are bubbling add this gravy into your pot and allow to bubble for 1-2 minutes stirring intermittently so it thickens. Turn pot off.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or butter noodles.