Pressure cooker mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi. The easiest way to create this classic buttery side dish for Thanksgiving or year round!
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
- For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
- You know a holiday meal isn’t complete without homemade mashed potatoes! It’s probably the most well known side dish for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter, but great year round too.
- They’re really easy to make, inexpensive, and when loaded up they’re full of flavor!
- If you’re new to pressure cookers, or the well known Instant Pot I’d highly recommend one. if you’re a busy mom like myself you seriously can cook an entire dinner in about 15 minutes!
- 1 great thing about making them this way is during the holidays there is never enough room on the stovetop.
Ninja Foodi mashed potatoes
When you make them in your pressure cooker you can mash them and add all your other ingredients right in the pot! Put the lid on when they’re done and they’ll be kept warm until you’re ready to eat!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Potatoes – I prefer red or russet potatoes
- Yukon golds are too soft in my opinion
- Potato masher – no trivet or steamer basket necessary
- Chicken broth – or water but broth is better
- Sour cream – or cream cheese
- Milk and butter
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add ins
- Sour cream
- Bacon bits
- Then follow our directions to make pressure cooker gravy
I will say these are the easiest and most amazing 6 minute pressure cooker mashed potatoes. It’s an Instant Pot side dish we not only make during the holidays but throughout the year too.
- And of course if you’re making a meatloaf recipe these pressure cooking mashed potatoes are the perfect side dish done in 20 minutes flat!
Mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot
What are the best Instant Pot mashed potatoes?
Well, I’d have to say this recipe is because it has TONS of flavor and takes about 15-20 minutes total to make with bacon if you want!
- This also an easy Instant Pot mashed potatoes NO drain recipe which makes it SO much easier to prepare. I’d say safer too since you’re not dealing with scalding hot water and a wobbly strainer. 😉
Can you fry mashed potatoes?
- Follow our easy potato cake recipe for a new side dish idea!
Here’s a video and printable directions to follow for pressure cooker Instant Pot or Crockpot Express mashed potatoes
Mashed potatoes in Ninja Foodi
- Add 6 peeled and cut into large chunks potatoes + 1/2 c. chicken broth (or water) to the inner pot
- Cook the potatoes with the pressure lid on (the one that isn’t attached), close steam valve
- Turn Ninja Foodi pressure cooker on (bottom right button)
- Press pressure button, high for 6 minutes (will automatically turn to high temp.)
- Press start
- Do a quick release
- Add the butter, kosher salt and following ingredients below during mashing process
Want to make pressure cooker sausage and mashed potatoes?
You can make them together all at once for an easy one pot meal!!
- You just follow the directions below putting the diced potatoes at the bottom.
- Add your broth inside too.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper at this time.
- Lay uncooked sausages right on the top! These were beer brats.
- Pressure cook on high for 6 minutes with a 3 minute natural release.
- Remove sausages and prepare mashed potatoes right in the pot, then serve.
If you’re looking for more potato recipe ideas and/or Instant Pot side dishes you should try these:
- Cheesy Instant Pot scalloped potatoes
- Tender and delish Instant Pot cheesy bacon ranch potatoes
- Pressure cooker baked potatoes
- Air fryer mashed potatoes are great too
- Mashed cauliflower can be made on your stovetop too
How long does it take to boil a potato?
It takes A LOT longer than in a pressure cooker I will say that. Depending on your stovetop it typically takes 20 minutes for water to come to boil and potatoes to be fork tender.
From there you have to mash them and add tasty ingredients. Don’t forget the time to peel and cube those suckers.
- I’d say the traditional boiling method would take 20 minutes to tender vs. 11 with time it takes to come to pressure.
What is the quickest way to boil potatoes?
In your multi cooker pot nowadays for sure!
This isn’t the only reason I cook potatoes in my pressure cooker. I use this method to make Instant Pot potato salad too.
We rarely have any but typically if kept in an air tight container or freezer bag they’ll be good in your refrigerator for 3-5 days. The longer you keep them the drier they will become.
Stir in some sour cream and/or cream cheese to add fat back in, and then reheat them in the microwave in 30 second intervals stirring in between.
Yes but when they’re fresh add plenty of fat like using whole milk and butter. Then once they are completely cool transfer to freezer bags.
Make sure to get all the air out of the bags, zip closed and store flat in your freezer.
Instant Pot mashed sweet potatoes
This mashed potato recipe is really no different.
If you want to make this adjustment, follow the same directions below but cut pieces smaller. You want to do this because they’re a bit firmer and need extra time or smaller pieces to get as tender as you want to mash.
Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- Skin your potatoes and dice them into about 8 pcs per medium sized potato. I like red potatoes but you could use baking potatoes too.
- Add diced potatoes and chicken broth or water into your IP or pressure cooker. If you want to add 5 uncooked brats/sausages to the top of your potatoes do so now. Set to manual, pressure, high, 6 minutes. Close lid and steam valve.
- When done allow to naturally release pressure for 3 minutes, then do a quick release and lift lid carefully.
- You can leave potatoes in your IP to mash as long as your masher isn't metal (don't want to scratch it), add butter into the pot and close lid so it can melt.
- Add all other ingredients and mash until smooth.
- Add in more milk to thin out.