This is the most amazing Instant Pot potato salad you’ll ever make in just 5 minutes! Loaded with eggs and pickles it’s the perfect side dish to any meal.
Boiling potatoes in one pot, eggs in another, then in a bowl to mix it all together is fine but literally you can now make this totally loaded Instant Pot potato salad in no time! It’s probably our favorite side dish in our easy Instant Pot recipes roundup page. Special thanks goes out to Kitchen Deluxe for sponsoring this post so I could share how we made this with you. (originally published 10/17, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Potato Salad
Of course potato salad is made to taste. If you love a lot of mustard then load it up. If you don’t like celery then just leave those out. You can use your Ninja Foodi pot or Crockpot Express too.
We will show you how to cook the potatoes AND the eggs all at the same time. Then you just cool, add the rest of the ingredients and enjoy.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Now let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
- This is a great InstaPot cookbook and a set of wooden utensils are great to grab too.
- I HIGHLY recommend you buy this non stick pot.
- You should still deglaze pressure cooker after sautéing but it won’t have as many issues with this better liner.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have (a 6 quart) and use for all recipe creations.
The main thing I’ll teach you is how to cook two things together in your Instant Pot. It is quicker than you probably think! If you have never done this it is totally possible. Once you get the hang of this you’ll want to do all the things for dinner next.
Ok so you can’t make the whole thing, you wouldn’t want hot mayonnaise, mustard and celery inside. Those will stay cool until the main items are tender and perfect.
In order to cook potatoes and eggs to make Instant Pot potato salad you need a few things:
- 2-Tier Vegetable Steamer from Kitchen Deluxe does a great job of keeping the potatoes and eggs out of the water.
- Since we are cooking 2 items it’s best to keep them separate as well so this double vegetable steamer is great.
- If cooking just one item/dish you can use their single vegetable steamer like we did when we made Instant Pot stuffed peppers.
What kind of potatoes should I use for potato salad?
I like using baby red potatoes. You can find in a bag at your local grocery store. They work perfectly for this recipe.
Instant Pot Potatoes and Eggs
If you can’t find them or prefer baking potatoes just ensure that they’re bite sized so the eggs and potatoes are done perfectly at the same time.
A good gage for sizing is if you have a regular bag red potatoes I would cut them in fourths or just small enough to barely slide each piece into the bottom tier of your vegetable steamer with the top steamer attached as you see here.
Pressure cooker potato salad
- I used 1.5 lbs. of baby red potatoes. Most of them slid right in. Larger ones I cut in half, russet you’d need to make into diced potatoes (bite size).
- Then open your top tier and place 5-6 eggs on top. White eggs are best when boiling eggs in an electric pressure cooker or on the stovetop. They peel easier.
- Then just close your lid and set to manual, high pressure, for 5 minutes cooking time and do a slow release (meaning just move steam valve slightly so it comes out slowly).
- Of course they will be very hot so make sure to twist the safety handle contained in your Kitchen Deluxe 2-tier vegetable steamer to secure it to the top tier and then lift the whole thing out.
- Allow your potatoes to cool and then cut them into bite size pieces.
- Put your cooked eggs in a bowl and immediately fill it with cold water and ice so they can cool.
- Once cooled peel them and dice them into chunks of your desired size to make classic potato salad.
- In a large mixing bowl fold all your other ingredients together for the perfect Instant Pot potato salad!
If you’re looking for other Instant Pot side dishes when you’re done with this one you should try this Instant Pot cauliflower mash & other potato recipes.
Instant Pot potato salad
- 2-Tier Vegetable Steamer from Kitchen Deluxe makes this so much easier
- Small red potatoes
- Diced dill pickles or sweet pickles
- some prefer a bit of apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garlic powder and salt maybe
Here are a few other yummy potato Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot potato corn chowder
- The best Instant Pot cheesy bacon ranch potatoes
- Pressure cooker baked potatoes
If you want to use your crockpot for a killer side dish, try our slow cooker cheesy potatoes or Mediterranean pasta salad too.
What if you want to make Instant Pot potato salad with no mayo?
- Some prefer to use softened cream cheese instead to bind it together. In a bind I have used whipped cream cheese too if I’ve forgotten to leave it out to soften or reach room temperature.
Instant Pot potato salad with no steamer basket
Yes you can either use this standard vegetable basket and lay the eggs on top of the potatoes, or put them this way on top of a trivet. We use this same device when boiling potatoes in Instant Pot.
- The main point is you need to keep them out of the water in order to steam both of them vs. boiling. The potatoes will become too soft and break apart that way.
How do you store homemade potato salad?
- Pint size freezer bags work great, or use plastic containers. Either way ensure they’re airtight so it stays creamy and doesn’t dry out.
- It should stay well in the refrigerator stored this way for 2-3 days but personally I think it is best the day after for leftovers.
Can potato salad be frozen?
Yes but once it is thawed out it will not be as smooth and the potatoes may become a bit dry.
Can potato salad be made 2 days in advance?
A great option if you’re having a barbecue or during the holidays.
- Yes! I actually think it is better the day after I make it.
- Mix all ingredients together well, cover with plastic wrap or foil and allow to get nice and chilly in your fridge.
Are you ready to make our 6 minute Instant Pot potato salad??
- And if you’re asking, yes you can totally make Instant Pot potato salad with no eggs, but that is so wrong to me! lol
- The best way to make it is packed with bacon and chunks of diced pickles I tell you!
Here are printable directions on how to pressure cook potatoes and eggs together.
If you want to serve a different out of the box variety with this, try our pickle pasta salad too.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Add 2 c. of water to the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Place your 2 tier vegetable steamer inside with the legs down so it isn’t resting on the bottom of the pot.
- Close the top tier and place your baby size red potatoes on that level. If they don’t fit in the space between the two levels just cut them in half so they all cook evenly.
- Open top tier and place eggs there (white is best, easier to peel)
- Close lid and steam valve and set to manual, pressure, high, for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 5 minutes and then release the rest of the steam.
- Remove entire 2 tier vegetable steamer from pot and set aside.
- Put potatoes in a bowl to cool, and then cut into 4-6 pcs each when cool.
- Put eggs in a bowl and run cold water on them, remove shells and slice into small pieces.
- Add cooled diced potatoes and egg into a bowl and add all other ingredients. Stir well until combined.
- Can serve immediately, I prefer to put it in the fridge for at least an hour but either way is excellent.
Friday 29th of July 2022
This was really good. I use a trivet on the bottom of the pot, pan with holes in it for the potatoes and put a rack on top with the eggs. Worked great.
The Typical Mom
Friday 29th of July 2022
Monday 9th of September 2019
We love to eat potato salad! Making this in the instant pot is such a great idea! Love it!
Monday 9th of September 2019
Thanks for the recipe and tips! Can't wait to make it!
Friday 3rd of November 2017
OMG! By looking at the first photo on top of this article, I find myself wanting to create this side dish. My son loves to eat eggs. Oh my, I feel excited. Will copy the ingredients and try it. Not sure, though. If the mustard is available here. Perhaps, I'll skip it for the meantime. Thank you :)
Wednesday 1st of November 2017
Your article reflects the issue people are concerned about. The article provides timely information that reflects multi-dimensional views from multiple perspectives. I look forward to reading quality articles that contain timely information from you.