This is how you make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs in bulk and the secret to the best deviled eggs in town. How long to cook eggs in your pressure cooker to get the perfect yolk for your favorite appetizer and the best hard boiled eggs to snack on too.
Today I’m sharing our secret to making the best Instant Pot hard boiled eggs AND how to make them perfect every time! I love my fancy pressure cooker & share all of my easy Instant Pot recipes here. Special thanks goes out to Kitchen Deluxe for sponsoring this post. (originally published 3/18, affiliate links present)
Have you tried to make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs yet??
Maybe not because you’re not sure how to make them without the eggs rolling around and breaking in the process.
- You may know how to boil eggs in the oven but this is much faster!
- Whether you want to make a few or more than a dozen we have tips for success here!
Deviled eggs are specific to everyone of course but this is the best way to make deviled eggs in my opinion:
- Make pressure cooked hard boiled eggs (directions below)
- Once perfectly cooked, transfer the eggs into a bowl with cold water and lots of ice cubes
- Take shells off
- Slice in half and remove yolks
- Use a fork to smash yolks, or use food processor for smoother consistency
- Add in with yolks from 14 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 c mayonnaise – not miracle whip and not light
- 3 tbsp mustard, more or less depending on preference, taste as you go
- 1/2 dill pickled diced fine, or use relish
- Spoon into a pint size freezer bag
- Put into fridge for 1-2 hours
- Cut tip off
- Squeeze into egg halves
- Sprinkle with dill, paprika, and diced chives
How far in advance can I make deviled eggs?
If I know I am making a large batch of these I always make hard boiled eggs a few days before. Then I peel them and store them inside a pint or freezer gallon baggie. It saves me time and my sanity to have this part done.
- You can actually make deviled eggs up to 2 days in advance if you wanted.
- The key is to keep the whites and egg yolk filling separate.
- Wrap the egg white halves well with plastic wrap and keep the egg yolk filling sealed in a freezer style plastic bag with all the air squeezed out.
- I always do it this way because it makes squeezing it out much easier too! When you’re ready to fill just snip the corner off one end and squeeze out the deviled egg filling in a swirl and serve on an egg platter.
Here it is. We made 14 Instant Pot hard boiled eggs all at once in just 6 minutes yesterday and my kids were so excited!
Why is that?? Well they’re one of their favorite snacks, and they loved deviled eggs too!
- Before finding this Instant Pot 2 tier egg rack steamer I could only make a few hard boiled eggs at a time. That was fine if I was just making a few for the girls after school snack.
- If I wanted to make a lot of deviled eggs though, or a big batch of egg salad sandwiches for all of us I had to go thru the process twice.
Now, you could make soft boiled eggs as well by decreasing the cook time to 4 minutes on high pressure instead of 5. This will be subjective of course depending on just how soft you want them.
- Try this and see if you want them even softer. If so 3 minutes may be the perfect soft boiled egg recipe for you. Just use an 8 or 6 quart Instant Pot, either one will do with your cups of water in the bottom.
If you have a large family and/or looking to make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs in bulk, here is what you need to make perfect hard boiled eggs.
- Instant Pot 2 tier egg rack steamer
- I have a 6-quart Instant Pot but a larger version is fine too
- Up to 14 white eggs at a time (white eggs peel much easier than brown)
If it’s Easter and you’re cooking hard boiled eggs in bulk, follow our instructions to dye eggs using Kool Aid this year.
- Let me tell you, this is SO much easier than the “old fashioned” stove top method. Back then I would have to stand by and wait for the water to boil. Then set a timer to ensure they weren’t in there too long to crack.
Watch a video showing you just how easy this is.
If you want to make the perfect Instant Pot deviled eggs these are my tips
- Use white eggs
- Once hard boiled put in a bowl with cold water and some ice cubes, then peel them
- Use a small food processor with yolks inside if you want a very smooth consistency
- Once your filling is made spoon it into a pastry bag or pint size freezer bag
- Put that bag full of filling inside the refrigerator for at least an hour before squeezing it into your halved egg whites.
- What are the ingredients for deviled eggs?
- Egg yolks
- Extra add ins:
- Diced pickles (dill)
- Chopped black olives
- Splash of Tobasco
- Dill spice
- Use 1/2 mayo and 1/2 cream cheese instead
- Spicy mustard instead of yellow
We’ve even made air fryer hard boiled eggs before. Your choice but I prefer my pressure cooker if I had to choose one over the other.
Looking for other great egg recipes?
- If you’re a huge hard boiled egg fan like we are you’ll love this egg salad recipe too!
- Pressure cooker egg bites can be packed with goodies like spinach and bacon!
- we’ve made air fryer egg bites too that were incredible.
- Air fryer breakfast stuffed peppers are great.
- Our omelette in a mug is a quick breakfast idea you can pack with other goodies.
- We use this method to make eggs for our Instant Pot potato salad you see here!
Use all of your favorite add ins, but for us eggs are a must! Chop them up like you would for egg salad sandwiches, but a bit less mushing and stir them in with your mayo and tender potatoes.
MOST important tips to remember when you cook hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot: DO NOT quick release the steam when the timer goes off.
- Rather, don’t touch the steam release valve for 5 minutes, that is called a natural release.
- Then, as soon as you open the lid have a bowl of ice water ready to submerge them in. This will make the shells slide off like a gem.
How long does it take to hard boil and egg now??
If you use this method it will be a total of about 20 minutes total. It takes approximately 10 minutes for an electric pressure to come to pressure. At this time the 5 minute cook time will begin.
- Then you’ll wait the 5 minutes for it to naturally release some steam.
- They will be hard boiled now, but you’ll want to cool them before peeling. This may take 10 minutes or so.
Need to make Ninja Foodi hard boiled eggs? NO problem!
Follow the same directions as stated below. You cannot use the two tier basket though because it is too tall. I have the 6 quart pot, but I don’t think the 8 quart pot would work either.
- The difference is that the inner pot is shallower. Just use the rack that came with your machine like you see here if you like.
- A metal vegetable steamer shown above would work just fine too.
- The main thing is to keep them from rolling around, and crack, as well as out of the water below.
I have a few different machines as you can see and I’ve experimented with them all. I have a Cosori version and Crockpot Express as well.
These two have the same shaped pots as the Instant Pot so you can follow the directions below as stated.
Here are the printable directions to make hard boiled eggs in a pressure cooker. Let us know in the comments below how yours turned out and what you made with them! Enjoy friends.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
- 14 eggs white works best
- 1.5 c water
- Pour your water into the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Place the bottom tier of your Kitchen Deluxe egg steamer rack into the pot and fill the slots with 1 egg each until full.
- Put the second tier on top until it is securely set on the sides.
- Fill that tier with eggs and close your lid and steam valve.
- Set Instant Pot to pressure, high, for 5 minutes.
- Do a natural release for 5 minutes, then release rest of steam. Open lid and carefully lift top tier out, then the bottom tier and put eggs in a bowl with COLD water + ice cubes. They will only take a few min. to cool down.
- This will make the shells REALLY easy to come off. Peel them and follow instructions above recipe card to make great deviled eggs.