Crispy tender and sweet air fryer sweet potato cubes are the perfect bite size side dish or snack your whole family will love.
Sway from the traditional and try air fryer sweet potato cubes for your holiday meal. I mean it is great year round but these are a must on our Easter table for sure. Easy air fryer recipe even my teens can make. (affiliate links present)
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
Yes I am sure you’ve made air fryer baked potatoes already. They’re good for sure but bite size anything is always a hit at my house. Always a huge hit with the kiddos for sure.
We started with making Instant Pot sweet potatoes cubed and those were delish. A great way to mash them for sure but served as is you get fork size pieces with sweetness on top. Those don’t get crispy at all though so we moved on to this method.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Ninja Foodi Sweet Potato Cubes
Not only does this and our air fryer spaghetti squash cook in a shorter time frame, but they get a nice bit of crisp on the outside.
If you want to make this in your Ninja Foodi it will work just the same as if you made this as a Cosori air fryer recipe. I haven’t found a machine that really cooked any differently. The biggest difference is the basket size and shape.
I prefer a large square one like you see above but go with whatever one you chose to sit on top of your countertop. 😉
- Sweet potatoes of course are the key ingredient. Leave the skins on to give it great texture and that is the best part for you too. Tons of fiber.
- Brown sugar keeps them nice and sweet of course. If you were serving these as a sweet potato casserole alternative you could sprinkle mini marshmallows on the top when done too.
- Honey is a wonderful addition. We prefer raw and unfiltered.
- Olive oil will keep these babies moist.
- Cinnamon will give you that classic holiday flavor you love.
If you want to air fry sweet potatoes with a bit of a salty and sweet flavor you could add a pinch of salt.
Sweet Potato Cubes in Air Fryer
The biggest tip when it comes to preparing these potatoes are as such:
- Make sure each cube is the same size. This will ensure that each one cooks evenly and they all get nice and tender on the inside.
After cutting into wedges lay them in paper towels and roll around. You really want all the water to be absorbed off of the outsides. This way the olive oil and seasonings will really stick.
- At the end of the cook time shared below use a fork to test the largest piece(s). If they aren’t soft all the way through put them in for another minute and test again. Do this until they are the right texture.
Another must with this and any other type of Ninja air fryer recipe is to cook in a single layer. Overlapping pieces will not get crispy all the way around.
How do you cube sweet potatoes?
For this you want to keep the skins on so slice in half lengthwise. Then set flat half on your cutting board, slice in thirds lengthwise.
Then slice into 1″ pieces widthwise so they’re all a similar size and thickness.
See how nice and dry these pieces are, this is what they should look like. Use a nice large bowl so you can mix all the ingredients together so each piece is coated well.
- OH and another thing, do not forget to spray non stick spray into your air fryer basket!! This is a kinda’ sticky dish so it will help the outsides stay on AND help with the cleanup later too.
Of course all the ingredients are suggestions. If you cannot have honey then just leave that out. A Kosher, gluten free, Vegan alternative to that is agave. That isn’t as thick but does add some liquidy sweetness to dishes.
AirFryer Sweet Potato Cubes
This is where a large air fryer comes in handy. You can make a larger batch all at once with space to spread them out as much as possible. If you have a handful that is left over just throw them in.
When you shake the basket halfway through they will move around, it’s fine. When making a large batch, just put in half and then the rest when those are done.
Once round 1 is done pour them into a glass bowl. Cover that with a towel and sit them in your microwave closed (not on). Then pour the 2nd batch on the top and toss together before serving.
Sweet Potato Cubes Air Fryer
Yes I suppose you could use red potatoes instead if you really wanted to. They wouldn’t take quite as long to cook.
- Preheat your air fryer to 350 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Rinse, dry well and cut potatoes into 3/4″ inch cubes. Do not peel sweet potatoes. Make sure they are all the same size so they cook evenly.
- Put them on paper towels and gently roll them around to remove all of the liquid on outsides after cubed. Drier the better.
- In a mixing bowl toss sweet potatoes with olive oil so they are nicely coated. Then add brown sugar and toss them with cinnamon and drizzle with honey. Make sure each piece is nicely coated.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and pour them in so they’re in a single layer and not overlapping.
Air fry them at 350 F for about 20 minutes total. Of courese time will depend on thickness, you want them fork tender.
Toss them after 10 or 15 minutes. Test with a fork, remove and eat immediately when they are tender using a fork. You can drizzle on a bit more honey or marshmallows when served.
There you have the best roasted sweet potatoes evahhhh!
Frozen Sweet Potato Cubes in Air Fryer
If you bought a bag of these at the store I would decrease the timing by 5 minutes. Those are already cooked and you’re just thawing and heating instead of starting out raw. Shake every 5 minutes and keep an eye on them at the end as some are larger pieces than others and will take longer.
If you’re in love with these you should give our Instant Pot sweet potato casserole a whirl too. With similar ingredients it is an easy side but takes a bit more prep afterward.
- You can make air fryer sweet potato chips too for your kiddos too.
- Our air fryer spaghetti squash is another side dish fave around here.
If you don’t want to cut sweet potatoes you can just make air fryer sweet potatoes whole! Add butter, cinnamon and sugar inside and enjoy that way too. With any of the leftovers just mash them and add to these sweet potato muffins. Jump to recipe below and let us know what you think friends!!
Can I eat skin of sweet potato?
Yep! It is safe to eat both raw and cooked. It is grown in the ground though so make sure you wash the outsides well to remove debris before consuming either way. They are full of antioxidants so don’t remove it!
What is good on a sweet potato?
OH there are so many options really. The most common is probably butter, sugar and cinnamon. Though you should really try a dash of nutmeg and some love crumbled blue cheese with some walnuts on top!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees for 5 minutes while you're preparing.
- Rinse, dry and cut into 3/4" cubes. Make sure they are all the same size so they cook evenly. Then put them on paper towels and gently roll them around to remove liquid on outsides of potatoes after cubed.
- In a bowl toss with olive oil so they are nicely coated. Then add brown sugar and toss with cinnamon and drizzle with honey so each piece is nicely coated.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and pour them in so they're in a single layer and not overlapping.
- Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes total (time will depend on thickness, you want them fork tender). Toss at minute 10. Test with a fork, remove and eat immediately when they are tender using a fork.
- You can drizzle on a bit more honey when served.