Sweet potato chips air fryer style! Crispy homemade snacks with a sweet and savory taste. Sliced thin, you and your kids will rave about these.
Sweet potato chips air fryer style are great. Easy homemade potato chips with the seasonings you love can now be one of your favorite air fryer recipes too.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
If you buy them already processed and bagged in the store they may not be. If you use your electric air fryer though you don’t need to fry them in oil at all.
THIS is the best and healthiest way to make them for sure! You can deep fry them but it will increase the fat content and may create an oil after taste.
No, the skins are safe to eat both raw and cooked. However, it’s important to wash the outside to remove any dirt, pesticides, or debris.
The first step is to wash, dry, and then slice them.
You can use any brand of machine you like. I would suggest you get a slicer or mandoline so each piece is thinly sliced and the same size. This will guarantee that they’re done at the same time and are perfectly crispy.
As for seasonings, that is really up to you. Salt and pepper is simple enough and a good choice. If you want them sweeter you might opt with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Air fryer sweet potato chips
- Sweet potatoes
- Mandoline slicer
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper or other seasonings you like
TIP: After slicing you need to make sure you absorb the water so they’re fairly dry before drizzling on the oil. This will allow them to get much crispier, faster.
Time needed: 7 minutes.
Homemade sweet potato chips
Rinse, dry, and create sweet potato slices. You can put them in a large bowl of cold water as you work. Once done place on paper towels and wrap to absorb water.
Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
Place sliced and dried slices in a bowl. Lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle on seasonings like salt and pepper, could add garlic powder too.
Spray air fryer basket with non stick cooking spray and place in a single layer without overlapping. Set to 380 for 6 minutes. After 3 minutes check and make sure they aren’t overlapping still.
After 6 minutes flip them over (shaking the basket won’t flip them all over, do it manually). Continue to air fry for 1 more min. of cooking time.
It is a bit of a time consuming process, maybe 20 minutes to 30 minutes from start to finish, but they are really delicious.
If you’re looking for a few great under 15 minute easy air fryer recipes you might want to try:
- You can make air fryer sweet potatoes of course too. Those take a bit longer than 15 but a great side as well.
- For another great snack, try taquitos some day. Crispy and delicious for everyone.
- Air fryer zucchini chips are one of our favorites. Doesn’t take a long time at all to make either. With a light breading it is my daughter’s go to ask.
Yes you can buy sweet potato chips but they are a lot cheaper when you make them at home. Plus you can add any seasonings you like, and even add a bit of heat if you want.
Sweet Potato Chips Air Fryer
- Preheat air fryer to 380F for 5 minutes. Rinse the sweet potatoes. Use a mandolin slicer to slice sweet potato to 1/8 inch thick. Put on paper towels and wrap up to absorb all the water on the outside.
- Place in a bowl then pour 1 Tablespoon of olive oil over the slices, then sprinkle in the salt and black pepper (o rany other seasoning you’re using), give the ingredients a good stir to try to coat the slices as best as possible.
- Arrange sweet potato slice into the air fryer basket, do only one single layer and don’t let them overlap onto each other.
- Set temperature to 380F and time to 6 minutes. At the 3 minute mark make sure to check on them and if the chips have moved rearrange them. Allow to cook remaining time. Next flip the chips over and cook them for 1 more minute.
- After the minute is up the chips should be crisp and a bit browned. If your chips don’t look like that you can cook for another minute at a time until they do. Once finished allow to cool on a wire rack to crisp up even further. Enjoy as a healthy snack or side dish to a sandwich.
- * Please note that every air fryer is different so it’s important to keep an eye on your chips and check them throughout the cooking process to avoid burning.