Fluffy sweet potato in the air fryer recipe is here! Sweet potatoes are the best side dish for the holidays or year round. Crispy outside but tender inside.
Are you obsessed with easy air fryer recipes too? I am! Ever since we got this appliance I haven’t found anything I don’t love cooked in it. Last night we made sweet potato in the air fryer and it was a great side dish! One of the best potatoes recipe ideas out there. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
I think this vegetable is totally overlooked. Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, a yummy side dish, and healthy too! It’s one of our favorite Ninja Foodi air fryer recipes you’ve gotta’ try.
When I tried this sweet potato in the air fryer I was in love.
Air frying these babies create a crispy skin on the outside but tender and fluffy on the inside. You just can’t get them like this when you’re baking sweet potatoes in the oven.
This is what ours looked like. Honestly we hadn’t really made sweet potatoes in a long time, and never in the air fryer. Before, the best way to make baked potatoes was in the oven.
Why we now love sweet potato in the air fryer as well as air fryer baked potatoes.
- The outside of the potatoes are nice and crispy.
- They’re a healthy air fryer side dish that just needs some olive oil or cooking spray.
- If you add salt, the potato skins become amazingly flavorful. Almost better than the inside!
- The inside of your potatoes come out super tender and fluffy.
- If you want to make air fryer baked potatoes we have directions for those too.
- Smoked baked potatoes are similar but making them in your Ninja Foodi means a quick cook time.
How to cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer
- Wash your potatoes in a large bowl with water getting debris off. Dry with paper towels.
- Poke the outside with a fork – maybe 6 times on the top & then on the bottom
- Rub the skins with olive oil – generously
- If you want to add salt or garlic powder then rub on the skins now (we didn’t)
- Put into your air fryer basket – or rack in this case
- Set to 390 degrees for 30 minutes
- Timing will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes
- When cooking multiple potatoes put similar sizes in at a time
- If making a lot you will need to cook in batches because they shouldn’t overlap while cooking.
What is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato?
The skin of a yam looks kind of like tree bark, while a sweet potato is more of a red brown color. Real yams are entirely different root vegetables that are more like yucca. They have a bumpy, tough, brown skin. They’re more starchy without a sweet flesh.
Honestly, look at the labels in your produce department or you’ll just be confused!
What you need to make air fryer sweet potato
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive oil
- Coarse sea salt – if you want to add some to the skins to make them salty/sweet
Serve these as a sweet side dish alongside our bacon wrapped air fryer steak and you’ll love them.
- We will be making sweet potato fries soon and will add instructions soon. We have regular air fryer french fries here and same timing should work.
- It’s one of our favorite air fryer potato recipes for sure.
What goes good with sweet potatoes?
They are good with just about anything I tell you. You can serve them with a juicy steak, shrimp, with a salad, or by itself with cinnamon and sugar inside.
- Sweet potatoes are great with any kind of pork. A meal of pork chops and applesauce is great with a side of baked sweet potatoes. A bit like baked potatoes but with a hint of sweetness the kids will especially appreciate.
- Of course if it is around the holidays you can use this as a starter to a batch of sweet potato casserole too. Load it up with butter, candied pecans and mini marshmallows melted on top for a tasty side dish.
What we fill them with:
- Cinnamon and sugar mixture
- Maple syrup – real / pure is always better
- A bit of salt is good – I prefer it on the skin while being cooked personally, love salty sweet foods
Other air fryer dinner recipes to try:
- Air fryer vegetables are great
- Try our tasty air fryer fried shrimp
- Meatballs in an air fryer are low carb treats
- You can make sweet potato mash too using this air fryer mashed potato recipe. We show you these above.
- We have even more potato recipe ideas here too.
Printable recipe below so you can keep it on hand. For more weekly recipes like this, subscribe to our newsletter here. It’s free and full of great ideas like this one and more.
Sweet Potato in the Air Fryer
- Wash your sweet potatoes. Use a fork to poke all around each one, top and bottom.
- Rub olive oil on the outside of each sweet potato. Using your hands works best.
- If you want to add salt to the outside to create a salty/sweet taste then sprinkle salt on the outside of each one at this time.
- Put on the air fryer rack inside your air fryer. If you have the Ninja Foodi turn the metal rack upside down and set your potatoes on top.
- Set temp to 390 degrees for 35 minutes. (timing will vary slightly depending on how big your potatoes are, it is suggested to put 4 of the same size in at a time)
- Remove immediately, slice, fluff the middle and add toppings such as butter and/or mixture of cinnamon and sugar.Can also use this recipe to make homemade sweet potato casserole. Scoop out middle if doing that.