This air fryer fried shrimp recipe is amazing! With a light breading & tons of flavor they’re crispy to perfection in just a few minutes with NO frying required.
We are kinda’ obsessed with seafood so air fryer fried shrimp was on our list to try this week. It came out more amazing than I had imagined! If you love air fryer recipes we have a lot on The Typical Mom site to try beyond this one. (originally published 8/19, affiliate links present)
With a “secret ingredient” that takes this breading over the top from great to absolutely delicious, get ready for YUM.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Fried shrimp in air fryer
Like I said, we LOVE anything that comes out of the sea.
- We made Instant Pot shrimp many times and they are great for making shrimp alfredo and other dishes.
BUT crispy battered shrimp are just so much better.
Here are a few questions you might have in mind before you get started on this like:
YES! We will show you how here. I started with this boxed fish fry mix which turned out okay, but bread crumbs with seasonings I threw in turned out much better.
The only thing I didn’t like about this one was it tasted a bit grainy. Even after being sprayed with olive oil the Italian bread crumbs were crispy and so flavorful. Lesson learned.
You won’t be able to coat it like you see here but yes you can. Add to air fryer basket and cook at 400 F for 5 minutes, or 10 minutes if it’s frozen RAW shrimp. Shake basket after half the time.
The outside comes out super crispy, yet the meat inside is still tender.
Air fryer shrimp
- Shrimp – We used Jumbo so timing is appropriate for that size. Shrimp were defrosted, shells removed, and deveined before being battered.
- Italian bread crumbs
- Taco seasoning – seriously!
- Garlic salt
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
I know, sounds kinda’ funny to put taco anything on shrimp but wow did it ever give it a wonderful flavor.
I asked my husband (who says he doesn’t like taco seasoning period, even for tacos) after he finished an entire plate of these what he thought.
He said “they were so good!”, then I told him what I used to make them. Yep, had to admit he may be wrong about that spice. 😉
As you can see above I bought a bag of frozen jumbo shelled shrimp. They sat in the freezer for quite some time and really needed to be cooked. That is when I thought of creating some sort of air fried shrimp recipe.
- Keep in mind that shrimp shrink quite a bit when they’re cooked. Jumbo really becomes a medium size so they’re ideal.
A perfect bite size for everyone in our family. I wouldn’t use a smaller size.
How do you know when fried shrimp is done?
The exterior should be pink with red tails. Flesh will be slightly opaque and white in color.
How do you cook pre cooked shrimp in an air fryer?
- Place a single layer of frozen popcorn shrimp into your air fryer basket.
- Cook at 375 degrees for 7-9 minutes, flipping halfway through the cook cycle
- Eat immediately for best results
Can you cook air fryer frozen shrimp? <—— YES we show you how here.
Cooking any sort of breaded frozen shrimp in a hot air machine would follow this same timing with slight variations depending on the size of them.
What goes with fried shrimp?
- Air fryer pickles are an out of this world combo
- This is how to cook fresh corn to go with this
- Our easy roll recipe is great if you want some bread with this
- We have a bunch of other fish recipes here too.
The best side dish we love is air fryer cauliflower you see here. I use both my Foodi and my Cosori so I can make all of it at the same time.
Here are quick step by step directions but I also have a printable recipe card at the bottom as well.
Ninja Foodi Shrimp
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Fried shrimp in air fryer
- Rinse shrimp
Defrost shrimp if they’re frozen. Lay on paper towels to remove water on the outside. This is important so outside gets crispy and breading sticks well. I prefer leaving the tails on
- Prepare coating
Melt butter in a bowl and mix dry ingredients in another shallow bowl or plate.
- Preheat air fryer
Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Coat air fryer shrimp
Dip shrimp in the butter, then dredge in bread crumb mixture so it’s nicely coated. Allow excess to fall off.
Add shrimp into air fryer basket in one layer. Overlapping will cause shrimp to cook not as crispy. Spray with olive oil and cook for 5 minutes or until as crispy as you’d like. Enjoy immediately.
Now enjoy, and try our air fryer scallops next!!
Air fryer breaded shrimp
Air Fryer Fried Shrimp
- Melt butter in a small bowl in microwave for about 30 seconds. Take shells off shrimp, devein them and pat each one down WELL with paper towels to remove water from outside (this will make them crispy).
- In a bowl mix bread crumbs and seasonings. Preheat air fryer now for 5 minutes at 400 degrees.
- One at a time dip your shelled deveined jumbo shrimp into the butter, then into the bread crumb mixture. Use a spoon to completely cover the shrimp (keep tails out of mix). Carefully shake off excess crumbs and put into preheated air fryer.
- Fill basket with as many as possible without overlapping them. Spray all of them with olive oil spray.
- Close lid or push in basket and cook at 400 degrees for 5 minutes (for jumbo, smaller would not take as long). I did a round flipping them and one where I didn't. I think not flipping came out better as breading stayed in tact better.
- Enjoy immediately for best taste.