This is how to make fry sauce with just 4 ingredients! Make it a bit spicy if you want or leave it mild like you get at the restaurant. Best cold dip ever!
Have you heard of or tasted fry sauce?? I hadn’t until we moved to Idaho and now I’m obsessed!! If you don’t want to wait until you go out to eat, this is how to make fry sauce yourself at home. Now you too can put it on hamburgers, chicken nuggets, and of course your french fries too! It’s one of our favorite recipes for dip that goes on everything.
What does fry sauce taste like?
- It’s like a creamy ketchup with just a little zing
- It’s a mixture of ketchup and mayo with a few secret ingredients
- You can add heat too with a little Sriracha or chili powder too
Of course there are slight variations of how to make fry sauce out there because everyone’s pallet is a bit different. It starts with 2 basic ingredients though and you add on from there.
Freddy’s Fry Sauce recipe
What state invented fry sauce?
- Arctic Circle burger chain is said to have started it
- This started in Utah “they” say but is slowly moving to other states
- Now you can make it wherever you live though!
You first start with mayonnaise and ketchup. You’ll use twice as much mayo and mix together. Now that’s the beginning and you could stop there. This is how it started in the beginning. Simple right??!! It is quite good like this, a bit like Thousand Island dressing just without the relish.
To add the bit of zing though you’ll need 2 more things, 3 if you want some spice added.
What restaurants have fry sauce?
It depends on where you live of course. I never heard of it when we lived in California, but when we moved it is all over the place.
- Artic Circle
- Culver’s is where we discovered it
- Red Robin (not all of them)
Some serve it packaged like you see above and some have their own recipe for fry sauce that will vary just slightly from one another. They’re all based on the same 2 things though. If you love ranch dressing you’re going to get hooked on this!
What do you serve with fry sauce?
Anything really….I kid you not there isn’t anything this stuff isn’t good on!
But if you want to start somewhere this is what we serve it with and on:
- Air fryer french fries
- Chicken nuggets
- Frozen onion rings in air fryer
- On top of smoked hamburgers
- Cheese curds
- Onion rings
Honestly I have dunked just about everything in it if I had a bowl in front of me. It just adds lots of creamy flavor to whatever you’re eating and you can really customize it to your liking. I like a bit more tang than my husband and we’ve experimented with lots of ingredients, and just kept it simple too. It’s a fun sauce to do that with.
You can find it bottled in stores every once and a while but I just keep the packets I get if we don’t use them in our fridge. So if we’re in a rush I pull it out and enjoy! What are you waiting for??
Keep in mind that you can serve this immediately after making it, however it is best if you leave it in the fridge for a while. Allowing it to chill and the mayonnaise to thicken back up is best (I feel in the mixing process the mayo thins out just a bit)
What you need to make this fry sauce recipe:
- do not use low fat
- in the jar is better than the squeezable containers
- I prefer this brand over Miracle Whip
- Add ins
How long does fry sauce last?
- This homemade version would probably last a few weeks if stored in an air tight container in the fridge.
- An unopened bottle you bought would last a few years on the shelf.
How to Make Fry Sauce
- Mix together your mayonnaise and ketchup. Then enjoy or continue with add ins.
- Taste after adding white vinegar and seasoned salt to see if you would like to adjust slightly and add more of this or that.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour for best taste.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. ?