If you love smoking meat you’ve got to try this smoked burgers recipe with an amazing dry rub. No need for sauce to give these hamburgers tons of flavor! Try them on your Green Mountain or Traeger smoker this week!
We have created a lot of electric smoker recipes on The Typical Mom blog, mainly compliments of The Typical Dad really. 😉 If your smoker is not electric it really doesn’t make that much of a difference, but that is the version we have right now. If you’re looking for a way to really amp your hamburgers up use the best dry rub for burgers! With the added flavor from the smoker itself this smoked burgers recipe is a great one for dinner tonight. (affiliate links present)
Wrap your burgers with bacon for added yum!!
To start making your smoked burgers recipe you will need a smoker.
Then you’ll want to pick up some ground beef and make patties. Ours came already formed and were angus burgers. It is really up to you what type of meat you want to use.
You can throw them in as is but adding a dry rub to this smoked burgers recipe really adds a lot of flavor to anything you smoke we feel, like the one we used in our how to smoke salmon post. It’s super popular and I think the rub is the key to it’s popularity.
The timing for this smoked burgers recipe is really subjective. Depends on how well done you want your hamburgers.
I like mine on the quite done side of things so the timing for a well done burger is in the recipe card. Decrease if you want it more pink inside. Even my husband who prefers his hamburgers to be on the rare side thought they were great this way. Typically you want them to reach 160 internal temperature. I would start at 20 minutes on each side then flip and test to see if you want them more well done.
- You can adjust how well done they get depending on whether they’re an inch thick or more. Thicker burgers will be less done in the center. If you’re like my husband and like them on the rarer side stick to 15 minutes per side and test. A higher fat content will make a difference too. Ours were very lean.
Topped with tomatoes we got out of our garden, some barbecue sauce and red onions and this smoked burgers recipe made for a pretty amazing dinner for the 5 of us.
We have even more easy smoker recipes on our site so please enjoy them as well, here’s what you need for this smoked burgers recipe.
- Wood chips or smoker pellets
- 1-2 lbs. ground chuck to make burger patties
- Garlic Powder
- Dehydrated onion, minced
- Smoked bacon recipe if you want that on top
You could make a double batch of this dry rub for hamburgers if you want a thick coat or have more than 4-6 patties. I’d start with what we have here. Coat them and see if you need more first.
- And if you’re looking to cook a few things for people to choose from throw in some smoked pork steaks as well. That and this smoked pork recipe tastes fabulous and have a dry rub recipe for those too.
Smoked meatloaf stuffed with bacon and cheese would be seriously yummy too right??
A great new way to cook ground beef for sure.
If you’re having a barbecue and serving these, take a peek at our top 10 barbecue hacks post that will make your event a bit easier.
Here’s the printable recipe.
Smoked Burgers Recipe
- 4-6 hamburgers we used
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dehydrated onion minced
- Mix all your spices in a bowl well.
- Lay your hamburgers out and softly rub a bit of your hamburger rub on the top and the bottom of each burger. If you choose to wrap bacon around them make sure ends are on bottom so they are tucked under tightly
- Put wood chips in your smoker and lay your burgers on the upper racks.
- Smoke at 275 degrees for 45-60 minutes depending on how well done you want them, 60 min was well done for us the way we like them.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉