If you love smoking meat you’ve got to try this smoked burgers recipe with an amazing dry rub. No need for sauce to give these hamburgers tons of flavor!
We have created a lot of electric smoker recipes on The Typical Mom blog, mainly compliments of The Typical Dad really. 😉 If your smoker is not electric it really doesn’t make that much of a difference, but that is the version we have right now. If you’re looking for a way to really amp your hamburgers up with the best dry rub for burgers and added flavor from the smoker itself this smoked burgers recipe is a great one to try out and see what you think.
Wrap your burgers with bacon for added yum!!
To start with you will need a smoker, this is the one we have now.
Then you’ll want to pick up some ground beef and make patties, ours came already formed and were angus burgers but it is really up to you what type of meat you want to use.
You can throw them in as is but adding a dry rub to this smoked burgers recipe really adds a lot of flavor to anything you smoke we feel, like the one we used in our how to smoke salmon post. It’s super popular and I think the rub is the key to it’s popularity.
- The timing is really subjective depending on how done you want your hamburgers.
I like mine on the quite done side of things so the timing for a well done burger is in the recipe card, decrease that if you want more pink inside but even my husband who prefers his hamburgers to be on the rare side he thought they were quite good this way too.
Topped with tomatoes we got out of our garden, some barbecue sauce and red onions and this smoked burgers recipe made for a pretty amazing dinner for the 5 of us.
We have even more easy smoker recipes on our site so please enjoy them as well, here’s what you need for this smoked burgers recipe.
- 1-2 lbs. ground beef
- Garlic Powder
- Dehydrated onion, minced
You could make a double batch of this dry rub for hamburgers if you want a thick coat or you are making more than the 4-6 patties we made but I’d start with what we have here, coat them and see if you need more first.
- And if you’re looking to cook a few things for people to choose from throw in some smoked pork steaks as well, they taste fabulous and have a dry rub recipe for those too.
Here’s the printable recipe.
Smoked Burgers Recipe
- 4-6 hamburgers we used
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dehydrated onion minced
- Mix all your spices in a bowl well.
- Lay your hamburgers out and softly rub a bit of your hamburger rub on the top and the bottom of each burger. If you choose to wrap bacon around them make sure ends are on bottom so they are tucked under tightly
- Put wood chips in your smoker and lay your burgers on the upper racks.
- Smoke at 275 degrees for 45-60 minutes depending on how well done you want them, 60 min was well done for us the way we like them.
Seriously yummy right??
A great new way to cook ground beef for sure.
If you’re having a barbecue and serving these, take a peek at our top 10 barbecue hacks post that will make your event a bit easier.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉