Frozen french fries air fryer style are the best!! Crispy just like at a restaurant but healthier since you do NOT have to fry them in oil. Game Changer!
Making frozen french fries air fryer style was a game changer this afternoon! We were all surprised at how crispy they turned out, WAY better than in the oven. This and more easy air fryer recipes can be found here on The Typical Mom blog.
- Are you ready to air fry everything??
We have been obsessed ever since our hot air machine arrived on our doorstep.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- THIS is my Favorite Air Fryer!
- You can find more Air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- Grab the best air fryer cookbook here.
- Here’s a printable air fryer cook times chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love. We have a Foodi social media group as well.
Air Fryer frozen french fries
- 1 bag frozen fries – I chose extra crispy style which I recommend
- Olive oil spray
What can you dip fries in besides ketchup?
Of course they are served with a variety of condiments, especially here in Idaho!! If you visit Boise Fry Co. out here they have a bar full of french fry dips.
You could recreate this at home for a party too which would be fun including:
- fry sauce is our favorite
- curry sauce
- hot or chili sauce
- honey mustard
- tartar sauce
- garlic sauce
- ranch dressing
Knowing the correct air fryer frozen french fries cook time is easy with our air fryer cook time printable!
Before trying this, I decided to make homemade air fryer french fries and those came out great. These and air fryer potato wedges take a while longer to make, but give these a whirl too.
I should’ve tried air fryer frozen french fries WAY sooner because they came out amazing.
About 15 minutes is perfect. Of course each brand is different, some are thicker than others and may take an extra minute or two.
Yes you can put them on a baking sheet and into your oven but during the summertime I do NOT turn my oven on first of all.
Plus, the difference in crispiness between the two methods is HUGE I tell you. There’s no comparison if you ask us.
Here we go with our batch for the afternoon y’all……
Do I need to defrost frozen french fries before frying?
- When air frying French fries, do not let them thaw beforehand!!
They should be kept completely frozen which guarantees that the surface of the potato is sealed during the cooking process, resulting in a crispy, high quality fry.
How to cook frozen foods in an air fryer
This has been a game changer for us. Like making air fryer corn dogs instead of throwing them in the microwave, they’re SO much better!
- And air fryer fish sticks are a game changer!
What are the best frozen French fries?
Well, I think that is really subjective but I guess statistics can tell you which ones are the best sellers amongst them all.
- Ore-Ida Country Style Steak Fries come in at #1
- Alexia Seasoned Waffle Fries are next because of the seasoning on them which is great
- Ore-Ida Golden Twirls are fun especially with kids, in at #3
- Trader Joe’s Chipotle Ranch Fries are amazing if you can find them and like a bit of heat
Many of these brands have other things you’ll love too like onion rings and more.
Like I said, I really like this extra crispy style, I found these at our local grocery store.
Air fried french fries
- When cooking frozen french fries it is all about short stints of time and a few shakes of the basket throughout the 15 minute cook time.
Oil added near the end will ensure they crisp up to perfection and taste like deep frying too.
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Frozen French Fries in Air Fryer
First preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Add food
Pour half your bag into the air fryer basket, spread out so they’re not overlapping or very little.
Close lid and air fry at 400 for 5 minutes, then shake the basket and continue cooking for another 5 minutes. Then shake the basket again, spray top layer of fries with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
If you wanted it to be a little less time intensive you could cook for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking.
This timing and steps make perfectly cooked fries for us, if you want to make them REALLY crispy add 2 minutes at the end.
Once you’re done with these you should try our potstickers, frozen mozzarella sticks in air fryer and air fryer tater tots too!!
I would highly recommend you get an appliance specifically for air frying vs. the Instant Pot CrispLid device. They work much better for making dinners and side dishes on a regular basis and getting all edges really crispy.
Are frozen french fries already cooked?
In fact, bagged frozen fries have already been cooked, twice in fact. They’re cooked in the factory first where the potatoes are blanched in hot water, then fried in vegetable oil.
Can frozen fries go bad?
No matter which brand you buy the safe freezer time is the same. A bag of frozen french fries will last for approximately 10 to 12 months if sealed properly in an airtight bag or container.
Frozen French Fries Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Pour half your bag of frozen fries into the air fryer basket and close lid for 5 minutes of cook time.
- Then shake basket and cook for another 5 minutes. Once that is done shake the basket once more, spray top of fries with olive oil spray lightly and salt lightly too.
- After 15 full minutes fries should be perfectly crispy. If you want them crispier leave in fro 2-3 more minutes.