Frozen french fries air fryer style are the best!! Crispy just like at a restaurant but healthier since you do NOT have to fry them in oil. Game Changer!
Making frozen french fries air fryer style was a game changer this afternoon! We were all surprised at how crispy they turned out, WAY better than in the oven. This and more air fryer recipes can be found here on The Typical Mom blog.
- Are you ready to air fry everything?? We have been obsessed ever since our hot air machine arrived on our doorstep.
Here are a few specifics on the machine(s) we have:
- We have the Ninja Foodi as well as a smaller electric air fryer
- You can grab a Foodi cookbook here. 😉
- Pick up MY cookbook too!
- Sign up for my free newsletter so you can get new recipes via. email too!
- You’ll find more air fryer recipes here too.
- Join my EASY Recipes Facebook group for more recipe
You can see the 4 ingredients we used here to make frozen french fries in the air fryer:
- 1 bag frozen fries – I chose extra crispy style which I recommend
- Olive oil spray
What can you dip fries in besides ketchup?
Of course they are served with a variety of condiments, especially here in Idaho!! If you visit Boise Fry Co. out here they have a bar full of french fry dips. You could recreate this at home for a party too which would be fun including:
- fry sauce is our favorite
- curry sauce
- hot or chili sauce
- honey mustard
- tartar sauce
- garlic sauce
- ranch dressing
Knowing the correct air fryer frozen french fries time is easy with our air fryer cook time printable!
I too wondered can I use frozen french fries in an air fryer when I got it.
- Before trying I decided to make homemade air fryer french fries and those came out great. It took me a while to give these a whirl.
- I should’ve tried them WAY sooner because they came out amazing.
Yes you can put them on a baking sheet and into your oven but during the summertime I do NOT turn my oven on first of all, and the difference in crispiness between the two methods is HUGE I tell you. There’s no comparison if you ask us.
Here we go with our batch for the afternoon y’all……
Do I need to defrost frozen french fries before frying?
- When air frying French fries, do not let them thaw beforehand!!
They should be kept completely frozen which guarantees that the surface of the potato is sealed during the cooking process, resulting in a crispy, high quality fry.
Knowing how to cook frozen foods in an air fryer has been a game changer for us. Like making air fryer corn dogs instead of throwing them in the microwave, they’re SO much better!
What are the best frozen French fries?
Well, I think that is really subjective but I guess statistics can tell you which ones are the best sellers amongst them all.
- Ore-Ida Country Style Steak Fries come in at #1
- Alexia Seasoned Waffle Fries are next because of the seasoning on them which is great
- Ore-Ida Golden Twirls are fun especially with kids, in at #3
- Trader Joe’s Chipotle Ranch Fries are amazing if you can find them and like a bit of heat
Like I said, I really like this extra crispy style, I found these at our local grocery store.
This how to make perfectly cooked air fried french fries:
- When cooking frozen french fries it is all about short stints of time and a few shakes of the basket throughout the 15 minute cook time.
- Oil added near the end will ensure they crisp up to perfection and taste like deep frying too.
- First preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees
- Pour half your bag into the air fryer basket, spread out so they’re spread out and overlapping very little
- Close lid and air fry at 400 for 5 minutes, then shake the basket and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Then shake the basket again, spray top layer of fries with olive oil spray, sprinkle with salt and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- if you wanted it to be a little less time intensive you could cook for 16 minutes, flipping halfway through cooking
I would highly recommend you get an appliance specifically for air frying vs. the Instant Pot CrispLid device. They work much better for making dinners and side dishes on a regular basis and getting all edges really crispy.
Are frozen french fries already cooked?
In fact, bagged frozen fries have already been cooked, twice in fact. They’re cooked in the factory first where the potatoes are blanched in hot water, then fried in vegetable oil.
Can frozen fries go bad?
No matter which brand you buy the safe freezer time is the same. A bag of frozen french fries will last for approximately 10 to 12 months if sealed properly in an airtight bag or container.
Sign up for The Typical Mom newsletter to receive more easy recipes and more via email too!
Frozen French Fries Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees for 5 minutes.
- Pour half your bag of frozen fries into the air fryer basket and close lid for 5 minutes of cook time.
- Then shake basket and cook for another 5 minutes. Once that is done shake the basket once more, spray top of fries with olive oil spray lightly and salt lightly too.
- After 15 full minutes fries should be perfectly crispy. If you want them crispier leave in fro 2-3 more minutes.