This is how long to cook thin chicken breast in air fryer or Ninja Foodi to keep it moist and fork tender! Healthy with no breading, it is a protein packed low carb meal that is family friendly we love. We will share thawed timing as well as frozen air fryer chicken breast cooked to perfection.
Air frying thin chicken breast turns out great! We’ll share how to cook it quickly and perfect so it doesn’t dry out, full of flavor with seasonings, and tender every time. If you love easy air fryer recipes and are trying to make healthier dishes this is for you. (affiliate links present)
Thin Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
This time we made each piece with no breading. Perfect if you are following a keto diet. Another choice that is lower carb would be to try our almond crusted chicken that will give you a great crunch and flavor. Yes you could dip into an egg wash and add a bit of breadcrumbs too, the timing wouldn’t really change either way.
You can use the temperature and cook time for breasts that have already been sliced thin, or if you do it yourself. The ones you see here we did, but I have done it both ways. 1/2 inch is typically what you will find, and works well for How Long to Cook Thin Chicken Breast in Oven or this as a fast meal. Timing will vary slightly if yours are a bit thicker, just have a meat thermometer handy to check before consuming poultry.
Air Fryer Thin Chicken Breast no Breading
Remember I said we were talking simple here. Just a few seasonings are needed. If you want just one I would suggest Lawry’s seasoned salt for everything in one bottle. Typically with a 5 quart machine you’ll be able to fit 2 pieces without them overlapping. You want the hot air to be able to rotate all the way around for the ideal outcome. You’ll need;
- 1-2 chicken breasts boneless skinless
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic herb seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder and onion powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Thin Sliced Chicken Breast Recipe
These are a bit like our air fryer chicken cutlets, but those do have some breading on them.
- If your boneless skinless chicken breasts aren’t already thin, lay on a cutting board and slice the chicken breasts into two slices so they are thin.
- Mix spices, herbs and salt.
- Brush each fillet with olive oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt and/or spices on both sides.
- Preheat air fryer at 380 F for 5 minutes. Spray basket with olive oil.
- Air fry chicken breasts in the basket for 7 minutes.
- Flip the pieces to the other side and bake for another 3-5 minutes or until white and fully cooked, tender and juicy.
- If you want a bit more crisp on top spray the top 2 minutes before they are done with some olive oil spray to get more golden brown.
Same as our chicken breast in oven 350, use a thermometer to check the internal temperature of your non breaded air fried chicken cutlets to ensure the thickest part reaches 165 F. Since they are very thin it is usually easier just to cut in the middle and looking at the color. If it is white you are good. Any translucent color means it needs more time.
How to Make a Thin Chicken Breast?
Making thin chicken breasts, or even make Thin Pork Chops in Oven, is a simple process that can help reduce cooking time and ensure even cooking. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making thin chicken breasts. You’re going to need; Chicken breast fillets, plastic wrap or parchment paper, a sharp knife, meat mallet or rolling pin, salt and pepper (or any preferred seasoning).
- Start by rinsing the chicken breasts under cold water and pat them dry with paper towels. This step ensures that any excess moisture is removed before pounding the chicken, if you choose to do so.
- You can just use a sharp knife and slice the pieces in half so they are half as thick, and stop there.
- If you want to make them more tender and uniformly thin continue with;
- Laying a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper on a clean, flat surface, such as a cutting board or countertop. This will prevent it from sticking and make it easier to pound.
- Lay one piece on the plastic wrap, leaving enough space around it to prevent any splattering during the pounding process.
- To avoid damaging the meat, place another piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper over the top.
- Using a meat mallet or a rolling pin, gently pound the chicken breast from the center outward. Work evenly to achieve a consistent thickness.
- Be careful not to pound too hard, as you don’t want to tear the meat. Aim for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, or any preferred seasoning. You can also marinate the chicken beforehand if you wish.
- Repeat the pounding process with the rest of the chicken breasts, with seasoning blend on top of the chicken pieces as you go.
With them now uniformly thin, they will cook quickly and evenly. You can grill, pan fry cast iron chicken breasts, or bake them according to your preferred recipe. Cooking times will be significantly reduced due to the thinness of your pieces.
Air Fryer Thin Chicken Breasts
If you don’t have a meat mallet or rolling pin, you can use the back of a heavy skillet or the bottom of a saucepan to pound the chicken gently.
- When pounding out, work from the center and move outward, ensuring even thickness to promote uniform cooking.
- If you plan to soak in chicken stir fry marinade, do so before pounding it. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat evenly.
- Thin sizes are great for cooking in the air fryer quickly, recipes like piccata, schnitzel, or any dish that benefits from fast even cooking in about 15 minutes.
By following these steps, you can easily cut and cook them thin, which will not only save you cooking time but also result in tender and delicious chicken dishes. Enjoy your flavorful and quickly cooked chicken in a variety of recipes!
1. Brining involves soaking the chicken in a saltwater solution, which helps the meat retain moisture during cooking.
2. Marinating the chicken before cooking adds flavor and helps to keep the meat moist.
3. When cooking thin chicken breasts, avoid high heat as it can quickly dry out the meat.
4. Add a sauce to the top to add flavor and moisture while cooking.
5. Don’t over-cook, use a meat thermometer and remove from heat as soon as it reaches 165 F.
6. After cooking, let the chicken rest for a few minutes before serving.
Use a sharp knife to slice your pieces in half or thirds. Then place in between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Use a mallet or rolling pin to press or hit the meat from the center out until super thin.
Yes, thin chicken cooks faster than thicker cuts. The cooking time of chicken depends on its thickness because heat needs to penetrate through the meat to cook it thoroughly. Thin chicken breasts, being thinner in size, require less time to cook compared to their thicker counterparts.
Thin Chicken Breast in Ninja Foodi
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How Long to Cook Thin Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
- If your breasts aren't already thin, lay on a cutting board and slice the chicken breasts into two slices so they are thin. If you want more tender and really thin, place between two pieces of parchment paper and hit with a meat mallet from the center out a few times so they are the same size.
- Mix spices, herbs and salt. Brush each fillet with olive oil and sprinkle with spices on both sides. Preheat air fryer at 380 F for 5 minutes. Spray basket with olive oil. Place the fillets in the air fryer basket for 7 minutes.
- Flip the pieces to the other side and bake for another 3-5 minutes or until white and fully cooked inside.