How long to cook thin chicken breast in oven so they are tender and moist. Chicken breasts no breading is a healthy meal that cooks quickly and is inexpensive to serve your family. If you followed our how long to cook thin pork chops in oven recipe and loved them, this is another hit.
There is a trick to cooking thin chicken breasts for sure. There is nothing worse than cutting into a piece of dry poultry and being disappointed. NO amount of sauce can fix that, you need it just to 165 degrees for fork tender pieces of protein. (affiliate links present)
How Long to Cook Sliced Chicken Breast in Oven
We have shared How Long to Cook Chicken Breast in Oven 350 before but that was bone-in, with the skin and kept whole. Those take quite a bit longer. Still wonderful when done but if you are in a rush, or want the tenderest meat ever, there is a trick to it. We will show you how to pound it flat for the ideal outcome. Melt in your mouth meat.
Timing from “regular” to this thinned out version is 1 hour vs. 13 minutes or so!! Yeah, like huge difference. Whether using your oven or Thin Chicken Breast in Air Fryer, it’s about the same. The timing isn’t the only perk. Pounding out or slicing them 1/2″ thick or so makes each bite super buttery almost melting in your mouth.
Thin Chicken Breast in Oven
We have directions for almond crusted chicken if you want a low carb breading to it but just seasoning really does come out pretty amazing. You can just slice your boneless skinless breasts in half or thirds if really thick and stop there like we did here. If you want to go a step further you can as well.
Pounding out chicken breasts is a technique used to make the meat thinner and more even in thickness. This helps the chicken cook faster and more evenly, resulting in a tender and juicy dish. Here’s how to pound out chicken breasts:
- Lay a piece of parchment paper on a clean, flat surface like a cutting board. This will prevent the boneless chicken breasts from sticking.
- Place one piece on the wrap leaving enough space around it to prevent any splattering during the pounding process.
- Cover with another layer of plastic wrap or parchment paper .
- Start pounding using a meat mallet or a rolling pin. Gently pound meat from the center outward. Work evenly to achieve a consistent thickness. Aim for about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Flip and pound the other side. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap and flip the chicken breast. Cover it again with the plastic wrap and pound the other side to ensure even thickness.
- Repeat with other pieces one at a time.
Pounding meat flat, like chicken cutlets, is a straightforward process that can make a significant difference in the outcome of your dishes. The thinner and more even they become, the quicker and more evenly they will bake resulting in a delicious and tender meal.
How to Cook Thin Chicken Breasts
The biggest thing to remember is to NOT over-cook them. Since they are so delicate and a meat thermometer won’t really fit inside the whole thing the best way to tell if they are done is to cut into the center. If the meat is white and no longer translucent you are good to go. Juices should run clear once it reaches 165 degrees internal meat temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 360 F.
- Cut the chicken fillet into two thin slices. If you want it even more tender, put each piece in between two pieces of parchment paper and pound with a meat mallet to flatten.
- Mix spices and salt. Brush each slice with olive oil and sprinkle with spices on both sides.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick foil and place the chicken fillets on top.
- Bake thin sliced chicken pieces for 10 minutes.
- Flip each piece over to the other side and bake for another 3-5 minutes depending on their thickness, until it is white inside at 165 degrees F.
If you want to add a sauce to bake on and get a bit thicker and caramelized you’ll want to brush that on after you flip them over. Bbq is a great choice or make teriyaki chicken for more of a sweet bite.
Thin Chicken Breast Recipe
Now when it comes to seasoning the chicken you have a ton of choices, as well as sauces to use at the end. A lot of time I will just pull out a few things out of my spice cabinet and sprinkle it on, I never measure in that case. You can use our killer sweet and savory chicken wing dry rub on top of these too that makes them addictive.
- Garlic Powder or Minced Garlic: By sprinkling garlic powder or using minced fresh garlic on the chicken breasts.
- Onion Powder imparts a subtle onion flavor without the texture of fresh onions.
- Paprika adds color and a mild smoky flavor to the chicken.
- Italian Seasoning is a blend of dried herbs like oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary can add a Mediterranean touch to the chicken.
- For a bit of heat and smokiness, try using chili powder or a mix of cayenne pepper and cumin.
- Grate some lemon or lime zest over the chicken for a refreshing citrus taste.
- Experiment with dried herbs like thyme, rosemary, parsley, or sage to add depth to the chicken’s flavor.
- Cajun or Creole Seasoning is wonderful if you like spicier flavors, Cajun or Creole seasoning blends offer a mix of herbs, spices, and heat.
How to Season Chicken
- Lay pieces on a plate or a clean work surface.
- Sprinkle the desired amount of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add any additional seasoning or herbs you prefer. Be generous, but adjust the amount based on your taste preferences.
- Drizzle some olive oil or cooking oil over the top to help the seasonings adhere and keep the chicken moist during cooking.
- Rub the seasoning and oil into the chicken breasts, ensuring even coverage on all sides.
- Allow it to rest for a few minutes before cooking. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
Once they are perfectly seasoned and ready to be cooked using your preferred cooking method. Grilled baked, cast iron skillet chicken, or roasting all work great. Serve with your favorite side dish and go!
Chicken Cutlets in Oven
There are a few questions people have asked about this that I thought I would answer ahead of time. If you just want to jump to recipe go for it but this might help before you get started;
1. Start with a piece that is boneless and skinless.
2. Set on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to slice it in half or thirds to achieve a piece that is 1/2″ thick.
3. If you want it even more tender, like baked chicken cutlets, place that piece in between two pieces of parchment paper.
4. Pound thinner with a mallet for meat, turn over and pound again on the other side.
The best way of how to tell when thin chicken breasts are cooked and safe to eat is to cut into the center. If the meat is white, no longer translucent and juices inside run clear it means it is safe to eat and has reached 165 degrees. If you have a meat thermometer, test in the thickest portion.
If you have sliced it quite thin baked thin chicken breasts take around 13-15 minutes for it to be cooked to a safe 165 F internal degrees. Cook time will depend on size and thickness but they are quick and come out moist if not over-cooked.
How to Cook Thin Chicken Cutlets
Now that we have covered baking and air frying these, you might be curious how to do it over medium high heat on stovetop. Do the same with the olive oil coating and seasonings as directed. To do this in a skillet you want to sear quickly on the outside, then lower heat, cover and cook turning only once until juices run clear and meat is white inside.
If you have leftovers you always want it to cool off completely. Then transfer into a freezer bag, suck the air out and store in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then use one of our easy leftover chicken recipes the next day.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
How Long to Cook Thin Chicken Breast in Oven
- 1 cutting board
- Preheat the oven to 360 F. Cut the chicken fillet into two thin slices. If you want it even more tender, put each piece in between two pieces of parchment paper and pound with a meat mallet to flatten.
- Mix spices and salt. Brush each slice of meat with olive oil and sprinkle with spices on both sides.
- Line a baking sheet with non stick foil and place the chicken fillets on top. Bake for 10 minutes. Flip each piece over to the other side and bake for another 3-5 minutes depending on their thickness, until it is white inside at 165 degrees F.