Crispy chicken cutlets in air fryer taste like deep fried but a healthier option. Tender meat inside with a crunchy outside layer.
Air fryer chicken cutlets are a cheap and healthy meal that gets crunchy on the outside without deep frying. Just a spritz of oil is all you need for delicious protein that’s tender and delicious. One more easy air fryer recipe we love. (affiliate links present, originally published 5/21)
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
This!! Serve as is with a few side dishes or you could serve it up in the middle of two buns with some tartar sauce and lettuce too. Yes we have made all sorts of air fryer chicken recipes over the past year. When it comes to kids though they want finger foods.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
If air fryer frozen chicken nuggets aren’t your style and you want something homemade, this is it friends! Using thin cuts of chicken breasts you can get the most tender pieces that are lightly breaded with tons of flavor. If you’ve had these at a restaurant but hadn’t made them yourselves it is super easy.
If you love easy air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
Ninja Foodi Chicken Cutlets
It doesn’t matter what brand you have. If you have shelves like our large air fryer or a smaller basket like this one above it works the same. I prefer a 5 quart because it holds enough for the four of us. You don’t want them to overlap or the outside won’t get as crispy and crunchy as possible.
How Long to Cook Thin Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
The thinner they are the faster they will get done, but will dry out if left in too long. Luckily it is easy to open up the basket and check as often as you’d like.
Healthy Chicken Cutlet Recipe Air Fryer
This one is lightly breaded but you could use the same temp. and timing for no breading on the meat too.
Can you use breading in an air fryer?
Yes but it needs to be a sort of egg, flour, breadcrumbs type. Wet like tempura will not work and just create a complete mess for you. It will also stick to everything and slide right off. Let’s show you how to do it right.
It depends. If you need instructions for air fryer frozen chicken breast it will take a bit longer than defrosted for sure. BUT a lot less than waiting for an oven to heat up. Timing is from 7-15 minutes total.
What to Make with Chicken Cutlets
First you’re going to prepare your meat. Meaning, if you haven’t bought them prepared as cutlets at the store that is okay. You can make them with breasts sliced in half width wise so they’re thinner and will cook quicker.
How do you tenderize chicken cutlets?
If you want them to be really fall apart in your mouth tender you can pound them a bit too. Just place 1 piece in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and hit all over with a meat mallet.
It originated in France where they were referring to a thin slice of meat; chicken, veal or pork. They’re often breaded and then baked, fried, or in this case you’re going to air fry them!
You can of course use a meat thermometer to ensure it reaches 165 degrees F. If not you can slice in half and if the juices run clear and insides are white vs. raw pink this is a good way of how to tell if chicken cutlets are cooked.
Ninja Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets
The process is quite simple, you just need 3 shallow dishes for this. Fill one with flour, one with whisked egg and another with breadcrumbs. The latter can be any style you want really.
I like to blot my meat with paper towels a bit so the breading sticks nicely. Season the outsides with salt and pepper and then create an assembly line; flour, egg, then breadcrumbs. Press lightly so they stick and stay on well.
Can you stack chicken cutlets in air fryer?
Just don’t. No matter what cut you have you should never overlap food. The way this machine works is with very hot circulating air. If food touches it will inhibit cooking in those areas. A single layer is always the best.
Depending on the size of your basket you can probably fit 2 in at a time. If you are making a larger batch work in batches. When done place on a baking sheet covered to keep your juicy chicken warm. You’ll need:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced THIN in half, or already prepared and store bought this way.
- 3 shallow bowls
- All purpose flour
- Seasonings of your choice
- Olive oil spray will get it as golden brown as you’d like
Of course you’ll always want to check internal temperature before consuming your pieces of chicken.
How to Cook Chicken Cutlets
Cooking time will vary just a bit depending on how thick yours are. For breaded chicken cutlets you will want to spray your basket so they don’t stick and all the outsides peel off. Best is to buy medium size breasts so they aren’t real thick.
- Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together. Put your flour into another shallow bowl, and whisked eggs in a 3rd dish.
- Season meat with salt and pepper on the outside. Dredge into flour, then egg and allow excess to fall off. Then put into breadcrumbs and gently press on both sides so it sticks.
- Spray inside of air fryer basket with non stick spray and lay air fryer chicken breast cutlets inside
- Then cook for about 8 minutes total at 400 degrees F. It is great if you can flip the chicken halfway through time but isn’t entirely necessary.
Cook time will vary depending on how thick your pieces are. Slice into middle to ensure there is no pink remaining and is 165 degrees F or more before consuming.
Crispy Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
To make outside SUPER crispy spray the chicken with a bit of olive oil and add another minute. You don’t want too much added time so it gets dry but this is a great way to cook chicken in the air fryer I tell you.
Have leftovers? Make sure to store them in freezer bags with all of the air sucked out of them. When reheating chicken in air fryer just put them back into your basket for about 2 minutes to crisp the outsides again. It won’t be as good as the first run but better than reheating in the microwave for sure.
Looking for what to cook next? Try our frozen chicken tenders with air fryer biscuits or you can make homemade air fryer popcorn chicken too. Both of these are hits with my girls especially when they want a quick snack in between activities.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Chicken Cutlets in Air Fryer
- Put bread crumbs in a shallow bowl with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mix together.
- Put flour into another shallow bowl, and whisked eggs in a 3rd shallow dish.
- Slice chicken cutlets THIN (in half or thirds), sprinkle with salt and pepper on the outside. Dredge into flour, then into the egg and allow excess to fall off, then put into breadcrumbs and gently press on both sides so it sticks.
- Spray inside of basket with non stick spray and lay chicken inside.
- Cook for about 8 minutes at 400 degrees F. Cook time will vary depending on how thick your pieces are. Slice into middle to ensure there is no pink remaining and is 165 degrees F or more before consuming.