Here’s an easy air fryer wings recipe and the best rub for chicken wings ever! If you’re looking for a healthy alternative to fried chicken with the same great taste these naked chicken wings in your air fryer are the answer. Simple and flavorful without using any oil to cook them.
Ok so I got a dual air fryer/toaster oven around Christmas time and I was really curious to use the air fryer because I hadn’t used one before. My first attempt was this air fryer wings recipe using a dry rub that is fabulous and not drippy messy like some others. Air frying vs frying is a much healthier way to get food crispy but without any oil needed! Just rub your spices on your wings, throw them in the basket and in no time at all you have delicious crispy chicken wings without any oil splatters or that heavy feeling you get when you eat fried foods.
These are the spices used to make the dry rub for this air fryer wings recipe
- Cayenne pepper
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
This is the Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven I was given by the company to try out (special thanks goes out to them for the gift). We had a toaster oven forever and got rid of our toaster years ago. Having both in one kitchen appliance was a huge benefit because I don’t have a lot of counter space.
I do have a picture of a friend making these in a traditional air fryer too though so you can see the difference between the two.
Mine has a basket that lays on the top rack with holes similar to the traditional model. Air fryers work very similarly, just look different and may have a variety of options but the directions to cook remain the same.
If you enjoy sauce on your wings feel free to add some after they are cooked but this dry rub is plenty and extremely flavorful so it’s really not needed.
If you’re looking for the best air fryer chicken wings recipe here ya’ go, and you can decide if they even need sauce or dip when they’re done.
For us they are perfection as is and a great healthy way to get super crispy wings.
If you’re looking for other great chicken wings recipes here are a few other favorites
- Pressure cooker frozen chicken wings
- How to bake crispy chicken wings in the oven
- Slow cooker teriyaki chicken wings
Air Fryer Wings Recipe
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp pepper or more if you like really peppery
- 4 tbsp salt
- 1 c brown sugar
- 16 chicken wings give or take a few
- Mix all ingredients except chicken wings in a bowl, combine well.
- Wash and dry your chicken wings using a paper towel to pat dry.
- Use a large freezer bag and pour about 1/2 a cup of your rub into the bag with about 6 wings or so. Shake shake until they are coated.
- Repeat until all the wings are nicely coated. If you want a deeper flavor allow the wings to sit with rub on the outside for an hour or two before cooking.
- Choose the chicken option on your air fryer or cook them at 370 for 20 minutes.
- To make them as crispy as possible flip your wings half way thru the cooking cycle.
- Remove when done, zest with lime juice and enjoy...can dip in ranch dressing.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉