This is how you make tender and delicious pressure cooker frozen chicken wings! Makes a great appetizer or dinner in your Instant Pot using your favorite barbecue sauce. Wings are the best finger food we say and with this trick you can make them often. From freezer to dinner in less than 30 minutes!
These pressure cooker frozen chicken wings recipe is the bomb! Here on The Typical Mom we’ve come up with a lot of easy Instant Pot recipes and this is one of our favorite pressure cooker appetizers. Super quick and requires only 2 ingredients really. (originally published 1/18)
Don’t these look delicious! We love chicken wings any way we can get them, but knowing how long to cook frozen chicken wings in the Instant Pot or a pressure cooker can come in really handy!
Whether you’ve forgotten to make something for a potluck, people come over unexpectedly, or you just want a quick yummy meal for dinner with what you have in the fridge, freezer and pantry…t
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
I’m serious….just TWO ingredients!!
I always seem to have frozen chicken wings and breasts in the freezer for just in case situations and started with sharing how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
That worked really well when preparing shredded chicken to use inside sliders…another great appetizer idea.
Then moved on to chicken wings and experimented a bit with the timing until I got it just right!!
Here they are! Super moist and really almost fall off the bone but I didn’t want the meat to just fall off. The fun is eating them off the bone in my opinion.
I guess that is the part that is up to you. I cooked mine for 21 minutes and they were perfect.
- Now if you wanted the meat to fall off the bone I would set for 25 minutes. But to me that would just be a pot of bones and chicken pieces.
The bag of frozen chicken wings I bought from the store had rather large pieces.
Just remember to not exceed the 3/4 mark inside your 6 qt. Instant Pot. I only felt comfortable adding 12 in that size.
I think if mine were a bit smaller I could add closer to 15, but you just want to keep it below the 3/4 mark. 1 bottle of bbq sauce was enough once they were cooked down.
It won’t cover them all when initially put into the pressure cooker but when they thaw it will be plenty so don’t worry about that.
Pick any brand of sauce you like but not honey style. I like whatever is on sale and has a bit of sweet and spicy personally. Honey may cause the burn notice to occur though.
You can add a bit of hot sauce in there to give it a kick, some sliced onions if you want, and even some pineapple tidbits are a good add in like I did with our Hawaiian Instant Pot shredded chicken dish…super easy too.
Instant Pot frozen chicken wings
They soak up all those delicious flavors. If you just want to make them plain it would work the same way using chicken broth.
If you aren’t down for bbq wings then use a teriyaki style sauce like I used in our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken thighs recipe.
- It is up to you but barbecue sauce is pretty much loved by all and really cheap too. There are so many different types of sauces with a variety of flavors and heat levels too.
If you prefer the skins to be a bit crispy, once these are done you can put them into your convection oven or oven at 375 degrees for a few minutes like we did here with our Instant Pot teriyaki ribs. Or you can use your broiler for about 5 minutes to crisp them up.
We don’t eat the skin either way so we are fine with them straight out of the pot.
If you like REALLY crispy chicken wings you can throw them under the broiler for a few minutes and for another trick you should read our post on how to bake crispy chicken wings in the oven!
Pressure cooker frozen chicken wings
This is what you’re going to need:
- Use 12-15 frozen chicken wings. Do not fill your Instant Pot or pressure cooker more than 3/4 full. So the total number depends on the size of your wings.
- Optional additions – pineapple chunks and/or hot sauce
Frozen chicken wings in air fryer are easy too! You’ll need to toss the wings like this in some sauce and sprinkle with blue cheese to add more flavor but they’re great in less than 15 minutes!
Of course you can make these as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe as well. Any brand will do.
And you’ll probably want some sort of yummy sauce poured on the top when they are tender and done to perfection. Buffalo or BBQ sauce are the most common.
Remember, you already have what you need right inside the pot though when you make it how I suggest below!
Time needed: 18 minutes.
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Wings
Pour half the bottle of barbecue or wing sauce into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
Put your frozen chicken wings on top of your sauce and pour the remainder of your sauce on top of them. Then add 3/4 cup of water into your bottle and shake it well to get remaining bit out.
Pour this on top of your wings (this is an important step).
Close the lid and steam valve. Cook on high pressure for 18 – 21 minutes. (if your wings are much smaller or you’re using fewer wings than I did it will not take this long (set for 18 min. for 10 wings and perfect)
Do a natural release for 3-5 minutes, remove lid carefully and serve!
If you’d like them crispy put your chicken wings on a baking sheet with sauce and broil for 3-4 minutes cook time or in an air fryer at 400 degrees until as crispy as you’d like.
After you try this you should make these Instant Pot recipes
- Pressure cooker frozen whole chicken is simple and healthy
- Frozen chicken legs Instant Pot style is here.
- Tasty Pressure cooker chicken and rice dish is our fave
- Instant Pot chicken legs is something my girls love
- Here are a lot more Easy Instant Pot chicken recipes
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
You can print recipe below too! Nutritional facts such as calories, saturated fat, etc is listed for the amount I used.
Pressure Cooker Frozen Chicken Wings
- Pour half the bottle of barbecue sauce into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Put your frozen chicken wings on top of your sauce and pour the remainder of your barbecue sauce on top of them. Then add 3/4 c water into your bbq sauce bottle and shake it well to get remaining sauce out. Pour this on top of your wings (this is an important step).
- If you choose to add hot sauce sprinkle on top now.
- Close the lid and steam valve. Set to manual, pressure, high for 21 minutes. ** Note, if your wings are much smaller or you’re using fewer wings than I did (mine were quite large) it will not take this long (set for 18 min. for 10 wings and perfect)
- Do a natural release, lift lid carefully and serve!
- If you’d like them crispy put your chicken wings on a baking sheet and under your broiler for 3-4 minutes or until as crispy as you’d like.