byIf you’re wondering how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker here are the times you need! It is easy to do and a great way to make chicken sliders or shredded chicken meals for dinner. Tender chicken breasts become juicy in less than 15 minutes, you’ll see.
I recently tackled the burning question of how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot today! To be quite honest I don’t buy a lot of frozen chicken breasts, but occasionally if I find a large pack on sale I will use a few and freeze the rest. Find over 100 more quick and easy Instant Pot recipes and enjoy! (originally published 1/18, affiliate links present)
These tips and pressure cooker cook times are handy also when you’ve forgotten to defrost your whole chicken or chicken breasts and it is close to dinner time. 😉
Wondering how to make frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
I was curious to see how easy it would be to go from frozen to juicy chicken in my fancy electric pressure cooker. So I did a little experimenting before making my 3 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken this afternoon. It turned out great for that!
- I first cooked these four breasts in the Instant Pot you see here that were bought frozen. I added a bit of chicken broth for 12 minutes and they turned out well.
- From there I shredded them. Then, drained the broth and added the ingredients I needed to make my shredded chicken recipe. I put it back on low for 5 minutes just to let it soak in the juices. Done!
- Next I used just 2 frozen chicken breasts that I had bought fresh and then were frozen. 12 minutes was too long and they turned out dry. I tried again for just 10 minutes and that was just right!
How do you defrost chicken in an Instant Pot?
- Well it’s not really defrosting because it’s going to cook, but this is how you do it step by step.
Here is what I did to cook frozen Instant Pot chicken breasts:
- Put frozen chicken breasts inside your Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Added liquid, I used chicken broth (you could use water but my preference is using broth for the flavor)
- Locked the lid and set valve to sealing
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for
- 4 frozen chicken breasts = 12 minutes
- 2 frozen chicken breasts = 10 minutes
- (times will vary slightly depending on the size of your chicken breasts and if they’re boneless or not, mine were boneless)
- 1 minute natural release then did a quick release to cook the chicken
- Always ensure internal temperature is 165 degrees after pressure cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper, or better yet shred right in the pot and add sauce to make shredded chicken for sliders or atop rice
I will say after making many easy Instant Pot chicken recipes that I like this method of cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot when adding sauce or shredding the chicken but not for just eating the breast as is.
For me personally I prefer the texture if it’s defrosted and then cooked but that is just me.
The most common way I make frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is when I cook wings!
It is similar to when you cook frozen chicken breasts which means NO meal prep time and done in under 20 minutes flat! You literally throw them right in with something like barbecue sauce and some water and it is that easy!!
- This is the instructions for making pressure cooker frozen chicken wings that seriously make the best appetizer or meal that is super cheap and so flavorful!
I don’t make wings really any other way now. If you want them with a little crispiness to them you can just pop them under the broiler. 4 minutes or so is perfect.
Instant Pot frozen chicken wings turn out fall off the bone delicious.
- If you want a crispier skin you can throw them on a cookie sheet under your broiler for like 3 minutes and it will crisp them up well
Knowing how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is nice to have. Especially if you’re in a pinch and forgot to defrost dinner!
- If you’re looking for how to cook frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot this is a good resource for that.
- How to cook pressure cooker frozen whole chicken is handy for sure and comes out super tender!
- Frozen pork loin in Instant Pot instructions are here.
Here’s a video showing how we made frozen chicken in the Instant Pot and then you can follow these instructions to make electric pressure cooker chicken sliders with it after they were done.
Want to cook frozen chicken breast in an air fryer too?
A few quick tips for success:
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot!
- Allow pot to naturally release steam for 1-2 minutes.
- Once removed let cooked chicken breasts rest for a few minutes to maintain juicy insides.
- Shred or cube for best results and enjoy in something like chicken salad!
You can use your Instant Pot chicken to make soft tacos too!
I hope we answered the question: Can you put frozen meat in an Instant Pot for you here!!
- The answer is a resounding YES!!
- You can even cook Instant Pot frozen ground beef if you’ve forgotten to defrost it beforehand.
- To be completely honest, it is BEST to use thawed fresh meats but these tips are great when you’re in a bind.
Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
- 4 chicken breasts whole, frozen, boneless
- 3/4 c chicken broth or water
- Put frozen chicken breasts inside your Instant Pot or pressure cookerAdd chicken broth (you could use water but my preference is using broth for the flavor)
- Lock the lid and close your steam valveSet to manual, pressure, high, for4 frozen chicken breasts = 12 minutes2 frozen chicken breasts = 10 minutes(times will vary slightly depending on the size of your chicken breasts and if they're boneless or not, mine were boneless)
- Do a 1 minute natural release, then a quick releaseDrain liquid and enjoy, or better yet shred right in the pot and add sauce to make shredded chicken for sliders or atop rice