If you’re wondering how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot or pressure cooker here are the times you need! It is easy to do and a great way to make chicken sliders or shredded chicken meals for dinner. Tender chicken breasts become juicy in less than 15 minutes, you’ll see.
Ok so I have been a little obsessed over the past year creating over 70 easy Instant Pot recipes and recently tackled the burning question of how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot today. To be quite honest I don’t buy a lot of frozen chicken breasts, but occasionally if I find a large pack on sale I will use a few and freeze the rest. These tips and pressure cooker cook times are handy also when you’ve forgotten to defrost your whole chicken or chicken breasts and it is close to dinner time. 😉 (originally published 1/18)
I was curious to see how easy it would be to go from frozen to juicy chicken in my fancy electric pressure cooker so I did a little experimenting before making my 3 ingredient Instant Pot shredded chicken this afternoon…it turned out well for that!
- I first cooked these four breasts you see here that were bought frozen (not fresh and then I froze them) with a bit of chicken broth for 12 minutes and they turned out well.
- From there I shredded them, drained the broth and added the ingredients for my shredded chicken recipe and put it back on low for 5 minutes just to let it soak in the juices….that was an amazing lunch!
- Next I used just 2 frozen chicken breasts that I had bought fresh and then froze them. 12 minutes was too long and they turned out dry. I tried again for just 10 minutes and that was right!
Here is what I did to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Put frozen chicken breasts inside your Instant Pot or pressure cooker
- Added liquid, I used chicken broth (you could use water but my preference is using broth for the flavor)
- Locked the lid and closed my steam valve
- Set to manual, pressure, high, for
- 4 frozen chicken breasts = 12 minutes
- 2 frozen chicken breasts = 10 minutes
- (times will vary slightly depending on the size of your chicken breasts and if they’re boneless or not, mine were boneless)
- Did a quick release
- Enjoy, or better yet shred right in the pot and add sauce to make shredded chicken for sliders or atop rice
I will say after making many easy Instant Pot chicken recipes that I like this method of cooking frozen chicken in the Instant Pot when adding sauce or shredding the chicken but not for just eating the breast as is.
For me personally I prefer the texture if it’s defrosted and then cooked but that is just me.
The most common way I make frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is when I cook wings!
You literally throw them right in with something like barbecue sauce and some water and it is that easy!!
- This is the instructions for making pressure cooker frozen chicken wings that seriously make the best appetizer or meal that is super cheap and so flavorful!
I don’t make wings really any other way now. If you want them with a little crispiness to them you can just pop them under the broiler for a few minutes.
I use my combo convection oven/toaster oven for that and it browns them well but typically we don’t eat the chicken skin anyway so I don’t mind either way.
Instant Pot frozen chicken wings turn out fall off the bone delicious.
- If you want a crispier skin you can throw them on a cookie sheet under your broiler for like 3 minutes and it will crisp them up well
Delicious either way!
Here’s a video showing how we made frozen chicken in the Instant Pot and then you can follow these instructions to make electric pressure cooker chicken sliders with it after they were done.
Knowing how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot is nice to have if you’re in a pinch and forgot to defrost dinner!
- If you’re looking for how to cook frozen ground beef in the Instant Pot this is a good resource for that.
- How to cook pressure cooker frozen whole chicken is handy for sure and comes out super tender!
If you just got your device you can read more about how to use an Instant Pot here and then go to my Instant Pot recipes tab and try a few of my dishes. I only cook easy meals so do not be intimidated and I try to explain what to do step by step as I would’ve needed on my first day of trying to cook in it.
I hope you find what you’re looking for on The Typical Mom to make a great meal. 😉
Frozen Chicken in the Instant Pot
- 4 chicken breasts whole, frozen, boneless
- 3/4 c chicken broth or water
- Put frozen chicken breasts inside your Instant Pot or pressure cookerAdd chicken broth (you could use water but my preference is using broth for the flavor)
- Lock the lid and close your steam valveSet to manual, pressure, high, for4 frozen chicken breasts = 12 minutes2 frozen chicken breasts = 10 minutes(times will vary slightly depending on the size of your chicken breasts and if they're boneless or not, mine were boneless)
- Do a quick releaseDrain liquid and enjoy, or better yet shred right in the pot and add sauce to make shredded chicken for sliders or atop rice
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉