Frozen chicken thighs in Instant Pot are so easy to make! From rock hard to tender fall off the bone in your pressure cooker in just minutes. Game Changer!
Frozen chicken thighs Instant Pot directions are here! Forgot to defrost meat for dinner? NO problem because you can make tender chicken in a pressure cooker in no time. Find this and over 100 other easy Instant Pot recipes here. (affiliate links present)
I know I can’t be the only one who forgets to defrost dinner in time. But now cooking chicken has never been easier! Now you can make a variety of quick chicken thigh recipes even if they start off rock solid.
- Earlier I shared how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot, but boneless and skinless chicken breasts were used then.
- We have also shared frozen chicken thighs in air fryer timing. If you have that machine too you’ll have 2 methods to choose from.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
We’re talking all about cooking frozen chicken thighs this time! Ours were skinless bone-in style but if you love chicken skin leave those babies on.
Let’s say you planned on cooking sheet pan chicken thighs but realized at 4pm that your meat was still in the freezer. Yep, I’ve done that too. Don’t fret.
Here are a few questions you might have to start with:
First off, do not cook frozen chicken in the microwave or in a slow cooker. BUT, chicken can be cooked from a frozen state in a pressure cooker, in the oven, or on the stove.
The cooking time may be about 50% longer for the last two methods but in an Instant Pot is fast!
Absolutely. Of course it is better if you have time to defrost it but life happens. You can even cook Instant Pot frozen turkey breast from rock hard to tender and tastes amazing.
Air fryer frozen chicken and pressure cooking frozen meat is the way to go. OR make Instant Pot frozen chicken legs this way.
- NOW you can just use these instructions + our yummy Instant Pot steamed vegetables, or for a bit of crunch follow our air fryer vegetables recipe.
Many times if there is a great sale at the grocery store I will stock up! I have bought meat in bulk before too and portioned it out into gallon bags. Freeze, pull out when ready and cook. Saves money and drive time.
How long does it take to bake frozen chicken thighs?
If you’re using an oven you’re looking at almost an hour! NO bueno in this house. Just to give you an idea, this is what you’d need to do:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F
- Lay frozen chicken thighs on a lined baking pan, parchment paper is best.
- Coat chicken with things like a bit of butter, thyme and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
Bake in an oven at 375 for 50 to 60 minutes.
Frozen chicken thighs
This is the easiest and most tender way to make them quick!!
- Chicken – we used bone in skinless style
- cheapest is bone in chicken thighs with the skin on
- if using boneless chicken thighs I would take 1 minute off the cook time
- Chicken broth
- Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper
- Cornstarch if you want to thicken sauce at the end
- Onion is optional but I add some to just about every recipe I make
How long do thighs take to cook?
Using this method it is only about 20 minutes including the time the pot will take to come to pressure.
Here are the steps you should follow, printable directions with nutritional information is below too:
Time needed: 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Frozen Chicken Thighs
Pour broth or cup of water into electric pressure cooker, then mix in all spices and onion. Put frozen bone in chicken inside bottom of the pot. Put the bone side facing down.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 15 minutes.
Allow for a 3 minute natural pressure release, then do a quick release. Carefully remove chicken.
Then select saute function. In a small bowl whisk together some of the chicken broth from the pot and your cornstarch until it is smooth.
Once boiling add this mixture to thicken the sauce. Serve chicken with some of this sauce on top.
Total time from start to finish including prep is about 30 minutes when pressure cooking. Always check internal temperature before consuming.
How long does it take to thaw frozen chicken thighs?
It will take about 24 hours to thaw one pound of frozen boneless chicken breasts or other chicken pieces.
If you’re thawing a whole frozen chicken, it will take bout 4 to 6 hours per pound of chicken being thawed. BUT if you forget, this is handy to have.
How do you store cooked chicken thighs?
First make sure they reach room temperature first. If you aren’t going to eat them all place inside airtight containers or freezer bags. Seal closed without air and store in fridge. They’ll stay good for 3-4 days.
Can I reheat cooked chicken thighs?
Of course. You could put them into an air fryer at 380 F for 4-6 minutes flipping halfway through. Spray with olive oil on the top at the beginning and when turning over.
In a microwave reheat in 45 second increments flipping every time you add additional heat.
- If they aren’t frozen you can follow our:
This Ninja Foodi chicken breast recipe works great every time too. The nice thing about this machine is you can pressure cook and air fry right in the same basket.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ninja Foodi Frozen Chicken Thighs
Frozen Chicken Thighs Instant Pot
- Pour broth into pressure cooker, then mix in all spices and onion. Put frozen chicken inside pot with the bone side facing down.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Allow for a 3 minute natural pressure release, then do a quick release. Carefully remove chicken. Then select saute function.
- In a small bowl whisk together some of the hot liquid from the pot and your cornstarch until it is smooth.
- Once boiling add this mixture to thicken the sauce. Serve chicken with some of this sauce on top…..or air fry your thighs to crisp skin and then pour sauce on top.
- To crisp skin in air fryer set to 400 F. Spray basket with non stick spray, put thighs in and spray top with olive oil spray or brush teriyaki or bbq sauce on top.
- Cook for about 4 minutes or until crisp as you want on top.