This Instant Pot salsa chicken frozen or fresh is so easy to make. You only need 4 ingredients to make this Instant Pot chicken recipe! A healthy pressure cooker recipe made into shredded chicken tacos loaded with flavor. Quick and easy lunch or dinner our whole family loves.
If you’re looking for a simple, healthy pressure cooker recipe this Instant Pot salsa chicken is it! You literally need 4 ingredients to make it. Served on top of rice or shredded for tacos, it’s great! Added it to our long list of under 30 minute Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/18, affiliate links present)
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Frozen
These are full of flavor, packed with vegetables, and can be made with frozen chicken in Instant Pot too. The perfect quick lunch or dinner your whole family will surely love. It’s one of those meals that I make on my oops days. Forgot to defrost meat the night before? NO problem, but it works with fresh from the store too.
It got two thumbs up by all 5 of us today so we thought we’d share. You can make it an easy Ninja Foodi recipe or in a Crockpot Express too. Any pot works as long as it has the high pressure function.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Salsa Chicken
I had small flour tortillas, shredded cheese and a few avocados at home so I whipped this up. Chicken breasts and homemade salsa was really all I needed. If I had sour cream on hand I would’ve added that too.
Typically I would say at least a cup BUT there is a decent amount of liquid in a jar of salsa so you only need 1/4 cup. If it were alone, it’s said that 1 cup is sufficient to keep it from drying out.
It is quite easy. If you’re making frozen chicken in an Instant Pot you just need water or broth. For an Instant Pot whole chicken, you’ll want to put it on a trivet first so it doesn’t trigger the burn message.
There are TONS of varieties, take your pick. I like thicker varieties with chunkier pieces of tomatoes and onions in it myself. For Instant Pot salsa chicken I prefer a medium heat variety.
There is salsa verde also that we use to make Instant Pot carnitas, pico de gallo that has more whole pieces, and jalapeno varieties will offer a bit of heat.
4 Ingredient Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
You can get away with 2 actually, the others are just a plus. Just a jar of salsa and breasts works just great y’all. I don’t always cook healthy meals. I love comfort food too but when I can create a low fat dinner that is full of flavor like our Instant Pot chicken cacciatore I’m thrilled!
Can I stack chicken breasts in Instant Pot?
Yes. Unlike cooking air fryer chicken breasts, the high pressure will reach each piece and with enough time they’ll be fall apart tender. Just be aware that there is a fill line inside the pot, don’t pass that.
Pressure cooker salsa chicken
Another goal is creating a meal for under $10 that feeds all 5 of us…this fits both bills.
- I used 2 large boneless chicken chicken breasts because that is all I had and there were only 4 of us at home. You could easily add up to 4-5 depending on their size and it would work the same.
- If you’re using frozen chicken breasts the cook time is basically the same but I like to add another 3 minutes just to ensure it shreds easily.
After cooking your frozen chicken just shred it. Then add your salsa and veggies and put it back into your pressure cooker on low for 5 minutes (high for 2). This will allow your veggies to soften to the texture you want. If not soft enough put the lid back on and let it sit in the steam.
Instant Pot salsa chicken with black beans and corn
There are a few other choices you could make and add in there too. 1 cup drained and rinsed black beans and kernel corn work too. I do prefer frozen vegetables so they hold up their texture a bit more but canned works too.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- could use chicken thighs
- Salsa – I really like at least a cup of salsa that’s chunky. You can find it in fridge section of store but I like to keep shelf stable jars on hand too for just in case throw together meals
- Water or chicken broth – use if your salsa doesn’t have much juice, you only need a bit
1 packet or 2 tbsp. of this taco seasoning gives you all the flavor you need.
Salsa Chicken Instant Pot
Once you’re done with the high pressure cycle and quick release I like to remove the chicken and really shred it well in a bowl. You can even use your stand mixer to break it up fast! It will be so tender though that 2 forks will surely do the trick. Add ins if you’re making this Instant Pot recipe for shredded chicken tacos
- Bell pepper
- Shredded cheese – I love pepper jack or Mexican blend
- Sour cream
- Taco sauce – spicy or I like this green taco sauce
Note: Some people have been apprehensive because they say you need at least 1.5 cups of water or cooking liquid to cook anything or you’ll get the burn notice. This is not true. First off the chicken will produce chicken broth once it’s cooked. The salsa has at least 1/2 cup of juices and liquids in the jar/can so not to worry my friends.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Tacos
Cut your chicken breasts in half lengthwise and put inside your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Sprinkle your taco seasoning on top of them. (optional ingredient but adds a lot of flavor, suggested)
- If you are adding sliced onion and/or bell peppers add them on top of your chicken. Pour salsa on top of everything. For chunky salsa without much liquid add 1/4 c. water or chicken broth.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to poultry, normal setting (or high pressure) for 13 minutes.
- Do a quick pressure release when done.
- If making shredded chicken tacos use two forks to shred the chicken inside the pot.
- Can serve whole breasts on top of Instant Pot rice or use shredded chicken inside small tortillas. Top with salsa mixture inside pressure cooker and other taco ingredients like cheese etc
Chicken Recipe in Pressure Cooker
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Crack chicken pasta in the pressure cooker rocks
- Simple and tender Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
- Pressure cooker beer can chicken
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- Cut your chicken breasts in half lengthwise and put inside your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Sprinkle your taco seasoning on top of them
- If you are adding sliced onion and/or bell peppers add them on top of your chicken.
- Pour salsa on top of everything.
- If your salsa is very chunky without much liquid add 1/4 c. water or chicken broth, if it is more liquidy this isn't necessary.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 13 minutes, with frozen breasts that cannot be sliced set to 16 min.
- Do a quick release. If making shredded chicken tacos use two forks to shred the chicken inside the pot.
- Can serve whole breasts on top of rice or use shredded chicken inside small tortillas topped with salsa mixture inside pressure cooker and other taco ingredients like cheese etc…