This Instant Pot salsa chicken is so easy to make and you only need 3 ingredients! Really healthy pressure cooker recipe that we make into shredded chicken tacos loaded with flavor and lots of vegetables. Easy lunch or dinner our whole family loves and my kids rave about.
If you’re looking for a super simple and healthy pressure cooker recipe this Instant Pot salsa chicken is it! You literally need 2 ingredients to make it, can serve it on top of rice or shred it and make chicken soft tacos like these too! They are full of flavor and packed with vegetables too. The perfect quick lunch or dinner your whole family will surely love. It got two thumbs up by all 5 of us today so we added it to our long list of easy Instant Pot recipes so you could try them yourself too! (originally published 2/18)
- Like I said, 3 ingredients are the base of this easy salsa chicken, but you can pack it full of other veggies like we did too. I add an onion to just about every recipe and I had a bell pepper in the house so I threw that in too.
- It gave them some added flavor but if I hadn’t had them on hand it would’ve been delicious as is too.
I had small flour tortillas, shredded cheese and a few avocados at home so I whipped this up and shredded the chicken breasts when they were done to make these tacos for lunch. If I had sour cream on hand I would’ve added that too.
I don’t always cook healthy meals, I love comfort food too but when I can create a low fat dinner that is full of flavor like our Instant Pot chicken cacciatore I’m thrilled! Another goal is creating a meal for under $10 that feeds all 5 of us…this fits both bills.
- I used 2 large boneless chicken chicken breasts because that is all I had and there were only 4 of us at home but you could easily add up to 4-5 depending on their size and it would work the same.
- If you’re using frozen chicken breasts follow the guidelines on how to cook frozen chicken in the Instant Pot.
After cooking your frozen chicken just shred it, add your salsa and veggies and put it back into your pressure cooker on low for 5 minutes or until veggies reach the texture you desire but this timing usually works well for us.
This is what you need, and additional add ins for this easy Instant Pot salsa chicken recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salsa – I like really chunky in fridge section of store but keep these on hand too for just in case throw together meals
- Water or chicken broth – use if your salsa doesn’t have much juice, you only need a bit
- 1 packet or 2 tbsp. of this taco seasoning
Add ins if you’re making shredded chicken tacos
- Bell pepper
- Shredded cheese – I love pepper jack or Mexican blend
- Sour cream
- Taco sauce – spicy or I like this green taco sauce
You can serve it over Instant Pot white rice too like we did above, both ways are good.
- We’ve made this salsa chicken crockpot recipe in our slow cooker too.
After you’ve made these try some other easy Instant Pot chicken recipes here
- Instant Pot chicken noodle soup
- Instant Pot tacos
- Instant Pot teriyaki chicken
- Pressure cooker beer can chicken
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
- 2-4 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut in half
- 1 jar salsa 15 oz
- 1/4 c chicken broth or water, not necessary if your salsa has a lot of liquid
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning optional but adds a lot of flavor, I use 1 tbsp for 2 breasts
- Cut your chicken breasts in half lengthwise and put inside your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Sprinkle your taco seasoning on top if you decide to add this.
- If you are adding sliced onion and/or bell peppers add them on top of your chicken.
- Pour salsa on top of everything.
- If your salsa is very chunky without much liquid add 1/4 c. water or chicken broth.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to poultry, normal setting for 15 minutes.
- Do a quick release. If making shredded chicken tacos use two forks to shred the chicken inside the pot.
- Can serve whole breasts on top of rice or use shredded chicken inside small tortillas topped with salsa mixture inside pressure cooker and other taco ingredients like cheese etc...
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉