This easy Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe is so yummy!i Takes just 20 minutes to make the best pressure cooker chicken recipe ever. The ultimate comfort food made in no time at all and a complete meal all wrapped up in one.
I am serious when I say that this Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe is probably our favorite, especially when it’s chilly outside. You can make it in your pressure cooker too if that is what you have. It’s done in about 20 minutes and not only is the chicken super tender but the sauce is creamy and the biscuits are just the right consistency. NO need to make biscuits from scratch, we are all about easy recipes here, and ready made refrigerated style works great! One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes that reminds me of my childhood. (originally published 4/17, affiliate links present)
Ever since I got my Instant Pot I make everything in there because everything cooks so quickly!
I have made a multitude of Instant Pot soup recipes which I feel this one falls into.
This is what you’ll need to make this Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe
- Pressure cooker
- I HIGHLY recommend getting this non stick pot
- Chicken breasts
- Some like frozen peas too
- Chicken broth
- Refrigerated biscuits
- if you can’t find biscuits, you could try and make biscuit dough with Bisquick.
- I prefer ready made because it’s easier, no baking powder or flour required
- Seasonings listed below
- poultry seasoning isn’t listed but is another add in option
I have had some people outside the United States say they cannot find refrigerated biscuits at the store. To that I say you could try and make biscuit dough with Bisquick and add that at the end.
You could also just skip that portion and serve biscuits on the side. I wish I was more help with that but I have always had access to them. Just trying to think outside of the box if that’s the case.
- Yes you can make homemade dumplings and cut up the biscuit pieces. But if I can find a quicker way I’m all about it, so I used refrigerated biscuits. Of course you want a soft consistency and these do the trick perfectly. If you’re looking for an easy way to make chicken and dumplings in your Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi you’ve got to give this one a whirl.
If you make a pressure cooker turkey this year you could easily use the leftovers instead of chicken. It’s a quick meal done in 30 minutes which we love.
Can you make chicken and dumplings in a crockpot?
- Yes! I did, here’s the recipe for slow cooker chicken and dumplings.
Here’s how you make this easy chicken and dumplings recipe
Step 1 – Make sure your chicken breasts are boneless and skinless. Use pieces that are of a similar size so they cook evenly. Add the chicken into your pot. Two or Three medium sized are great. Add all other ingredients except milk and biscuits. Remember that the larger your vegetables are the firmer they will be. You don’t want to dice them as they will become too soft. Large dials are great for carrots.
Step 2 – Close the lid and seal your pressure cook steam valve. Set to high pressure for 12 minutes. This is usually perfect for the amount of chicken I used.
Step 3 – Do a quick release, remove lid and turn pot off. Remove chicken and set pot to saute.
Step 4 – Cut up refrigerated biscuits and add them into your pot. Allow sauce to bubble and cook them slightly. Then turn pot to off/cancel and put lid on again. Cook on high for 1 minute or low for 4 minutes.
Step 5 – Do a quick pressure release. Set to saute again and take some hot liquid out and into a bowl. Whisk this and a few tablespoons of cornstarch together to thicken broth. Add this into your pot as well as your milk. Allow to bubble. Shred your chicken and add back into your pot. Serve!
Looking for more Instant Pot chicken recipes ??
Here’s a video showing you how we make pressure cooker chicken and dumplings
What should I serve with chicken and dumplings?
- For us it is a one pot meal.
- Could add more vegetables on the side though
Can you cook dumplings in the oven on their own?
- Of course if you’d rather just make small biscuits in the oven be my guest
- You can break them up into small pieces and put them into this dish before serving
Can I freeze chicken and dumplings?
I haven’t done that with this particular recipe but I imagine you could. Just keep in mind when reheating that the dumplings will not be the same texture and may turn gummy.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
- 2-3 chicken breasts boneless skinless (can add more, but I would add more broth and milk to have more liquid at the end)
- 3 carrots large dials
- 2 stalks celery sliced thick so they don't get too muchy
- 1/2 onion large chunks
- 1 c chicken broth (add more if you like a lot of liquid)
- 1/2 c milk (whole is best, add a bit more if you want more liquid)
- 3 refrigerated biscuits Grands is what I used (cut into spoon size pieces)
- 1 tsp salt optional - we usually don't add any
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- Put chicken, vegetables, seasonings and chicken broth in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker. Make sure breasts are of similar sizes so they cook evenly.
- Put lid on and set for manual, pressure, low for 12 minutes.
- When done do a quick release and lift lid carefully.
- Remove chicken and put in a bowl, cover to keep warm.
- Set IP to saute and add cut up biscuits, put inside of liquid mixture.
- Wait until it boils and allow to bubble for 1 full minute. Turn pot off/cancel.
- Put lid back on and set to manual, pressure, low, for 4 minutes. (if you don't have low function just use high for 1 minute)
- Do a quick release when done and carefully lift lid. Set to saute again.
- Pour milk in with liquid and stir slightly. Add a bit of cornstarch and a bit of your hot broth in a bowl and whisk together ( if you desire it to be thicker) pour this mixture into your pot and stir gently.
- Shred cooked chicken and add back into your IP.
- Allow IP to start to boil/bubble again for about 1 full minute to mix all liquids. Serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉