The best Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with chicken breasts recipe takes just 5 minutes to cook! Super healthy made in a Crockpot Express or as Ninja Foodi chicken noodle soup. Add vegetables, and it’s a great comfort food when it is cold outside or you’re not feeling well.
OH yes we love this Instant Pot chicken noodle soup!! No need to be sick to make this soup in your Instant Pot, it is the perfect meal any time of year as far as I am concerned. Just one of many easy Instant Pot recipes we’ve made and are adding more each and every day. 😉 (originally published 2/17, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Chicken Noodle Soup
Really healthy, only requires a few fresh ingredients, and when cooked on high pressure in your pressure cooker it only takes 5 minutes to come out perfect! It doesn’t matter what brand you use, they all work well. Make as an easy Ninja Foodi recipe or in a Mealthy.
We’ve made crockpot chicken soup many times but with the arrival of my new favorite appliance I knew I could make it much faster in my Instant Pot.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Ninja Foodi Pressure Cooker Chicken Soup
I had celery, carrots, and onions at home so I went with those additions. Also, I added the 1 container of chicken broth I had but that didn’t look like quite enough. So I used the remainder of vegetable broth I had from my Instant Pot potato corn chowder recipe
It is just a pre programmed button available to you. I hardly ever use it. Rather I use the pressure cook high (or low) functions and the specific cook time that is needed.
You could use Instant Pot frozen chicken if that is all you have. Just note that you’d need to do this using the pressure cook function with only broth for about 12 minutes using small breasts.
Then continue with adding veggies and noodles. The latter only ned 2-3 minutes on high pressure to soften.
That came out to about 48 ounces of liquid. A perfect amount for the noodles to absorb a bit of it and still have liquid to drink (or slurp) up.
What kind of chicken is used for soup?
That depends on your preference really, but boneless skinless is necessary. I use breasts for this but to be honest I typically see what is on sale and use that. You could use leftover chicken as well which I have done time and time again because quite frankly I hate wasting food.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle with Chicken Thighs
If I had to choose my favorite though and money was no object I might say that dark meat would be my fave. Adding a lot more flavor to the overall dish just with brown vs. white meat it’s kinda’ a game changer. You can usually find them cheaper with bone-in, and I just cut the meat off beforehand and dice.
Here’s what you’ll need
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (yes you put it in raw).
- You could use diced chicken thighs
- Or remove the chicken from a store bought rotisserie as well if you prefer.
If yours are not defrosted, follow our Instant Pot chicken noodle soup with frozen chicken timing instead.
Best Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
When it comes to veggies you can really load it up my friends. Remember when prepping them that the thinner or smaller the pieces are the more tender they will become. Since it is such a quick cook time you don’t want them to be too big or they may not become quite fork tender which is the ideal texture.
- Egg noodles
- Chicken broth – I use this one
- Or make homemade chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper
What can I add to my chicken noodle soup for flavor?
Minced garlic is something that I add to all the things. Add a bay leaf into the pot with the broth if you’d like.
Instant Pot Chicken Pho
If you want more of an Asian flare you could use Pho noodles more similar to our Instant Pot ramen recipe. We are always trying to eat as healthy as possible and I will say that having Instant Pot recipes on hand really helped with that!
I can buy lots of fresh produce and brown my meat right inside the pot. It’s a great meal cooks usually in less than 10 minutes. This is ideal for our busy family and this homemade chicken noodle soup is definitely one of our favorites.
- Instant Pot orange chicken
- This Instant Pot chicken and dumplings recipe is very popular
- Pressure cooker lemon chicken pasta is great.
- Try this chicken alfredo pasta too
- Instant Pot chicken noodle casserole
Our Instant Pot chicken stew is similar to this but creamy and with potatoes.
Tip: when cooking noodles in a pressure cooker you want to release pressure quickly.
- Beef also needs a lot of time to allow the steam to release naturally. Using noodles though you definitely don’t want them overcooked or they’ll be mush.
- If using egg noodles like we are here, they take the least amount of time. If you like them al dente aim for 2 minutes vs. 3. That comes down to preference really.
Chicken noodle soup in an Instant Pot
I didn’t make homemade soups at all before this one and now I’m a believer. Want to make chicken soup in the crockpot? We have that too.
This has such a short cook time, just 3 minutes to pressure cook! You just lightly cook the chicken to begin with until it’s no longer pink on the outside. Very quick and easy process. After you add the chicken you’ll add diced veggies so they soften just a bit.
- If you use pre cooked shredded chicken you’ll skip this step of course. Do a quick release when done and serve immediately for best results.
How long can you keep chicken noodle soup in the fridge?
Properly stored in airtight containers, cooked chicken soup will last for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. In order to extend the shelf life you should freeze it. You will need covered airtight containers or heavy duty freezer bags to do this.
Can you freeze homemade chicken noodle soup?
Soups that contain pasta like chicken noodle or minestrone, won’t hold up to the freezer very well unfortunately. If you’re cooking soup specifically to freeze, just hold out on adding the pasta.
- If you cook everything else, freeze, and reheat your freezer meal you can add freshly boiled noodles then. This is the best method to follow.
Time needed: 7 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
Put Instant Pot on saute low and add olive oil, chicken cut into spoon sized chunks, celery, onions, and carrots.
Cook for a bit so chicken gets just a bit cooked on outside and veggies soften just slightly.
- Add ingredients
Turn IP off and add chicken broth, uncooked noodles, salt, pepper, and spices if desired.
Put lid on IP, close valve and set to manual, pressure, high for 3 minutes.
When it beeps move the pressure valve just slightly to release the pressure slowly. Once steam is released carefully lift lid and enjoy!
In this post is a video showing you how we make pressure cooker chicken noodle soup:
Ninja Foodi Chicken Noodle Soup
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 chicken breasts cubed,, bite size, boneless skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt and pepper optional, more or less, to taste
- 2 carrots sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 48 ounces chicken broth or half chicken and half vegetable broth
- 2 c egg noodles uncooked
- 1/4 tsp basil
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Put Instant Pot on saute low and add olive oil, chicken cut into spoon sized chunks, celery, onions, and carrots.
- Cook for a bit so chicken gets just a bit cooked on outside and veggies soften just slightly.
- Turn IP off and add chicken broth, uncooked noodles, salt, pepper, and spices if desired.
- Put lid on IP, close valve and set to manual, pressure, high for 3 minutes.
- When it beeps move the pressure valve just slightly to release the pressure slowly. Once steam is released carefully lift lid and enjoy!