Best healthy Instant Pot orange chicken recipe ever! Just 4 ingredients needed to make this pressure cooker chicken recipe in just 4 minutes. Grab your pressure cooker and try it tonight!
We love orange chicken! I have to say that this may be our favorite quick and easy meal! I have made this in the crockpot for years but now with this favorite 7 in 1 appliance I had to try it in there to see how much faster the cook time would be. It came out with an amazing orange sauce!! Now you can make it in your pressure cooker using just 4 ingredients. Get your orange zest tastebuds ready for our easy Instant Pot orange chicken recipe. It’s listed on our page with other under 30 minute Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 2/17)
I know…looks fantastic right??!!
- I will say it is even better than the slow cooker orange chicken I’ve made for years.
Add a bit of chives or green onion to the top and serve it over rice!
We call this “sweet chicken” in our house and my kids all love it!
This is the Instant Pot I have. It has made my life so much easier, and has allowed us to sit and eat a great meal as a family more often because it cooks quickly!
Basic 4 ingredients for this Instant Pot orange chicken recipe
- Chicken breasts
- Barbecue sauce (I love this one – honey style is not best in pressure cookers as there is a lot of sugar content and can cause browning)
- Soy sauce
- Orange marmelade
We use 1/4 cup of marmelade but if you like bold flavors then you can increase that to 1/3 or 1/2 of a cup.
If you have a larger household just double it too.
What do you serve with Instant Pot chicken?
- We typically serve it over Jasmine rice
- Cauliflower rice would be a low carb and gluten free option as well
- Brown rice is a healthier option
It’s similar to our Instant Pot sweet and sour chicken but without the breading.
- Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole
- Our pressure cooker apricot chicken is similar to this but with an apricot twist
- Pressure cooker chicken and rice is one of the most popular recipes on The Typical Mom
- Easy Instant Pot butter chicken
- This chicken tinga looks amazing too.
Here’s the printable recipe for orange chicken in an Instant Pot + a video
Can you use pressure cook frozen chicken?
I haven’t done it for this recipe in particular but have cooked frozen chicken breasts this way first, and then added a variety of sauces later. I think this would work well if all you have are frozen chicken breasts and need a quick meal. If cooking all together as directed your frozen chicken would need to be previously cut up into small bite size pieces. If this is the case I would keep timing as stated and not adjust.
- Keep in mind that the sauce thickens as it sits so you don’t need a lot of cornstarch. Just add a bit into a small bowl with some of your hot liquid. Whisk until smooth and add it in at the last step after you’re done with high pressure setting, when it’s on saute.
Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, bite size pieces , can double recipe if you want 4 breasts
- 2 c barbecue sauce do not use honey style as there is too much sugar and may display burn message
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch at end to thicken sauce when chicken is done
- 1/4 c orange marmelade
- 1/2 onion cut into large pieces - optional
- chives or green onion to garnish
- 1/4 c water or chicken broth
- Cube your chicken and add to your IP along with your bbq sauce, water or chicken broth, onion if you want, and soy sauce.
- Stir so chicken pieces are coated well.
- Turn your Instant Pot on pressure, high, for 4 minutes. Put lid on and close steam valve.
- When it beeps do a quick release and carefully lift the lid.
- Turn IP to saute.
- Put cornstarch in small bowl (if you want it a bit thicker) and add some hot bbq sauce from pot in with it and whisk together until smooth. Add back into pot and stir.
- Add marmelade, stir and allow mixture to bubble for about 2 minutes, stir.
- Turn off IP and serve over rice.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉