Pressure Cooker apricot chicken just needs 5 ingredients and is the perfect dinner atop a bed of rice! If you have an Instant Pot you’ve gotta’ try this!
If you’re looking for a family friendly meal that even your kids will love, this pressure cooker apricot chicken is it! Tender chicken swimming in a sweet sauce served on a bed of rice, it’s now one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 3/19, affiliate links present)
Have you ever made apricot glazed chicken?? It. Is. So. Good.
I’m talking it’s a meal your kids will ask you to make over and over again.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Here are a few questions you might have before you get going on this meal prep.
It is said to have started around 1950 by the Lipton dry soup mix company. Used to make this Instant Pot apricot chicken too, it has become a family favorite for everyone around here.
That depends on what else is in your pot. For frozen chicken in the Instant Pot with just broth it is around 12 minutes. For pressure cooker chicken and rice it’s the same but breasts need to be cubed bite size.
If at the end you want the sauce thicker then use 1 tbsp cornstarch whisked together with 3 tbsp cold water. Set pressure cooker to saute and add this in, stir and it won’t be as thin.
Here’s a peek at what you’re going to need, and what we used to make this sweet and savory dish.
Reasons why we love apricot glazed chicken in a pressure cooker
- It’s a super cheap Instant Pot recipe for sure – about $15 to feed all 5 of us
- Apricot chicken breast is just sweet enough to put smiles on my kids’ faces.
- The chicken comes out tender and bite size which little ones love.
Cooked in our Instant Pot or Ninja Foodi it takes just 20 minutes to finish this and a batch of white rice.
Ingredients necessary. You may have these already in your cupboard. It truly is a dump dinner that takes just minutes to be perfect when done.
Apricot chicken recipe
- Chicken – bite size, boneless, skinless breasts – could use chicken thighs as well
- Chicken broth
- Apricot jam / preserves
- Catalina dressing
- Onion soup mix
- Onion – this is really optional
- Cornstarch if you want to thicken sauce
Some like to add a bit of soy sauce to cut down the sweetness even more, either way is good to us.
To give you an idea, this feeds all 5 of us and costs about $15 total including the cost of rice.
Pressure cooker apricot chicken
The color is a bit deceiving. It has a nice hint of apricot flavor and the perfect amount of sweetness. It’s super quick and easy compared to making it in a slow cooker or in the oven.
There is NO precooking required either!!
You just throw in all 5 ingredients, stir so it’s well combined, and cook on high for 4 minutes.
Seriously, that’s it.
- I usually use my mini Instant Pot to make rice but if you’re looking for easy rv meals I’d use these Minute rice cups!
Why do we call it apricot chicken?
- No there are no whole apricots inside, but we used apricot preserves.
- You could alternatively use orange marmelade and it would be more similar to our Instant Pot orange chicken recipe.
Looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes? We have a bunch to choose from but here are a few of our favorites.
- You’ll love this Instant Pot Hawaiian chicken we made that is similarly sweet, served over rice.
- Creamy pressure cooker chicken and rice turns out great every time. Add vegetables and it’s a complete one pot meal.
Our pressure cooker chicken pot pie soup recipe is amazing. We use canned veggies to make it even easier in the kitchen. Perfect winter time bowl of YUM when it’s snowy outside.
Instant Pot apricot chicken
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Here is a quick step by step but there is also a printable recipe card for you below if you’d rather have that.
Time needed: 4 minutes.
Instant Pot Apricot Chicken
- Pour in ingredients
Add all ingredients except cornstarch into your pressure cooker, stir together so everything is coated well.
Close lid and set steam valve to a sealing position. Set to high pressure cook for 4 minutes. Do a quick release when done.
- Thicken sauce
Turn pot off, then push saute. In a separate small bowl add 3 tbsp cornstarch + 4 tbsp. of hot liquid from your pot. Whisk together so it is smooth.
Pour this cornstarch mixture into your pot once the liquid in your pot starts bubbling. Stir.
Slowly stir for 1-2 minutes, will thicken slightly. Then turn pot off.
- Rest and cool
Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes so sauce continues to thicken. Serve over rice and enjoy
Printable recipe below with nutritional information included as well. Keep in mind I do not calculate these, the system does and it accounts for exactly what I have listed below.
Pressure Cooker Apricot Chicken
- Add all ingredients except cornstarch into your pressure cooker, stir together so everything is coated well.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high pressure for 4 minutes.
- Do a quick release when done.
- Turn pot off, then push saute. In a separate small bowl add 3 tbsp cornstarch + 4 tbsp. of hot liquid from your pot. Whisk together so it is smooth.
- Pour this cornstarch mixture into your pot once the liquid in your pot starts bubbling. Stir.
- Slowly stir for 1-2 minutes, will thicken slightly. Then turn pot off.
- Allow to sit for at least 5 minutes so sauce continues to thicken. Serve over rice!