Pressure cooker chicken and rice casserole recipe made in our Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi is the best creamy dinner ever! Family favorite and so easy to do.
This amazingly easy pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe takes just 15 minutes to cook and prepare. Even my kids say it’s a great recipe. We love casseroles, this basic Campbells chicken and rice is from my childhood. Tt cooks a lot faster now! One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes! (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Adding vegetables to this chicken recipe gives it great flavor, texture, and the more I include them in our dinners the more my kids like them. Of course you can omit if you wish. 😉
This pressure cooker chicken and rice with cream of chicken soup dinner is something the whole family loves!
Seasoned with just some salt and black pepper, it’s so easy to throw together. I use frozen vegetables to make things easier.
If you have ever made the Campbell’s chicken and rice dish this is very similar but cooked in my Instant Pot so timing and a few more ingredients were added to it.
- I ate something similar A LOT growing up with everything just dumped in a pot on the stove top. I really loved it and was made often because it was cheap. Pretty healthy Instant Pot dinner recipe too.
It has everything in a comfort food you’ll want including a bunch of mixed vegetables that cook in no time.
- Add any other spices you enjoy, I add just a few myself. If you want to use fresh green beans and baby bellas follow the directions here for our Instant Pot chicken mushroom casserole.
The first step is to add your meat and set to saute. All multi cookers have the function except some are labeled brown/saute instead. It is important that your meat is diced into bite size pieces so it cooks evenly and remains tender.
If you don’t have one of these multi cookers and are a busy mom I would HIGHLY recommend it. It’s a pressure cooker with 6 other functions so you can replace a lot of your other kitchen appliances too. I have a Crock Pot Express and Ninja Foodi. I use all three to make this.
- I’ve made lots of other dishes in my Instant Pot because it makes dinner time quick and easy.
What are the best things to cook in an Instant Pot?
- We say THIS is our #1 favorite Instant Pot dinner recipe
- Followed by Instant Pot lazy lasagna
- And a few off of our cheap Instant Pot recipes list are made on a weekly basis.
Can you use frozen chicken in the Instant Pot?
- Yes you can for certain recipes like our electric pressure cooker chicken that’s shredded and served as sliders.
- I would not recommend it for this chicken and rice casserole though. Why? Because first of all the meat needs to be in bite size pieces. Chances are it wouldn’t be cut into small enough pieces like this before freezing.
- You also want to cook the outsides just a bit on the first step, this isn’t possible if your chicken is frozen.
- Another downside is more liquid will be added once it defrosts. This will make it a soupier texture.
Do yourself a favor and just use fresh diced boneless skinless breasts or chicken thighs to make this pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe.
I first made this Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe using whole chicken breasts.
Mine came out really well but several people had issues with them not cooking through. Or their pot did not reach pressure so I have revised this recipe.
Now the recipe reads with the chicken cut up into cubes so there shouldn’t be any issues any longer! A problem you may experience if you don’t follow the directions EXACTLY as they’re stated below is with the rice.
Why is rice burning in Instant Pot?
- When there’s not enough thin cooking liquid in a pressure cooker it may not be able to generate enough steam to come up to pressure. The bottom of the pot will become too hot, thus triggering burn on Instant Pot.
- To avoid this do NOT stir rice into the mixture, instead gently submerge into the liquid on the top.
Making Instant Pot white rice is the exception to this rule since there are no other ingredients other than water.
At first I was intimidated because I had never used one before. Now that I’ve tinkered with it I use it every day and share new pressure cooker recipes each week. They are all yummy and super simple to do like this one.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Cup of rice (not instant white rice, we like Jasmine rice)
- Chicken breasts
- could use chicken thighs
- if you want to use pork, follow our pressure cooker pork and rice recipe
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Cream of chicken soup
- cream of mushroom could be used instead
- Chicken broth – can use water but broth is so much better
- 1/2 cup Cheese (optional but so good, we like sharp cheddar)
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker – I have a 6 qt.
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot too!
Variations of this Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe
- I have used rotisserie chicken vs. raw chicken – just use 2 breasts and dice the chicken up, then skip the first step where the chicken is browned, just put it into the bottom of the pot
- I’ve used a 10 oz. bag of frozen broccoli florets (seen here) instead of frozen mixed vegetables and it tasted amazing too
Just naturally release steam for 3 minutes, lift the lid, and the cooked rice is so tender! Chicken is always tender, flavorful, and who doesn’t love a one pot meal?? I haven’t made it with brown rice yet but others have, comments for that method are below.
I modified the recipe I found here but adjusted some ingredients and the time as well for it to come out moist and ensuring the rice was done perfectly.
- Cheesy Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole is a family favorite
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is a popular dinner idea
- Pressure cooker frozen whole chicken
- Instant Pot white rice goes great with our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken on top
If you want to make this using noodles instead of rice follow our pressure cooker chicken noodle casserole directions.
- Or use this creamy chicken and rice casserole recipe we have.
Here’s a step by step video showing you how to make our Instant Pot chicken and rice dish
Want to make crockpot chicken and rice?? We have directions for that method too!
Steps to make Instant Pot chicken and rice:
- Put bite size chicken and diced onions into pot with some olive oil and set to saute.
- Cook outsides just enough so pink is gone (insides will still be raw and that is okay)
- Turn pot off now.
- Add in seasoning, can of cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables and broth. Stir together well.
- Sprinkle in uncooked white rice but DO NOT stir in, just gently submerge into the liquid at the top.
- Close lid and steam valve and set to high for 9 minutes.
- Allow steam to release naturally for 3 minutes and then open steam valve to pressure release the rest of the way.
- if you do a quick release rice won’t be as perfectly tender
- Add cheese now and stir so it melts (optional add in but it’s good).
- Serve topped with more cheese for added yumminess!!
If you want to make this with a sausage link, try our Instant Pot sausage and rice recipe!
Print the recipe below and enjoy!
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Put cubed chicken pieces and diced onions into Instant Pot with olive oil and set to saute, cook until chicken is cooked on the outside (will continue to cook in next step so outside just needs to be cooked/white in color). Turn pot off!
- Sprinkle with seasonings. Add cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables, and broth into your pressure cooker. Stir together WELL until clumps of cream of chicken are smoothed out.
- Sprinkle rice on top and DO NOT Stir!!
- Put lid on Instant Pot, close steam valve and set to manual, high pressure for 9 minutes.
- Allow to naturally release for 3 minutes when done, let out rest of steam, and carefully lift lid. Add cheese now and stir until melted or serve topped with cheese.