Pressure cooker chicken and rice casserole recipe made in our Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi is the best creamy dinner ever! Family favorite and so easy to do.
This amazingly easy pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe takes just 15 minutes to cook and prepare. Even my kids say it’s a great recipe. We love casseroles, this basic Campbells chicken and rice is from my childhood. Tt cooks a lot faster now! One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes! (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Chicken and Rice
That is right, this is one of our favorite easy Ninja Foodi recipes too! You can make this in any brand you have at home. Crockpot Express, Mealthy, whatever one works.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Adding vegetables to this chicken recipe gives it great flavor, texture, and the more I include them in our dinners the more my kids like them. Of course you can omit if you wish. 😉
Seasoned with just some salt and black pepper, it’s so easy to throw together. I use frozen vegetables to make things easier.
Now I generally use boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into bite size pieces. It’s the best way for this version, or our Instant Pot teriyaki chicken and rice dish.
If I find chicken thighs on sale I would use those instead. I find that thighs have more flavor and are more tender than the latter.
- I get lazy though and if bone-in is all I can find I will opt for whatever is boneless and a decent price.
As far as rice, I like Jasmine personally. It has a better texture than just the cheaper long grain version and less expensive than Basmati.
- If you are totally opposed to adding vegetables, just leave those out. Only like frozen peas? Just add those and omit the others.
Cheese is a really great add in but of course if you need it to be dairy free, then leave that out too.
Campbell’s chicken and rice
If you have ever make this, the one you see here is very similar. BUT this is cooked in my Instant Pot so timing and a few more ingredients were added to it.
- I ate something similar A LOT growing up with everything just dumped in a pot on the stove top. I really loved it and was made often because it was cheap. Pretty healthy Instant Pot dinner recipe too.
It has everything in a comfort food you’ll want including a bunch of mixed vegetables that cook in no time.
- Add any other spices you enjoy, I add just a few myself. If you want to use fresh green beans and baby bellas follow the directions here for our Instant Pot chicken mushroom casserole.
The first step is to add your meat and set to saute. All multi cookers have the function except some are labeled brown/saute instead. It is important that your meat is diced into bite size pieces so it cooks evenly and remains tender.
If you don’t have one of these multi cookers and are a busy mom I would HIGHLY recommend it.
It’s a pressure cooker with 6 other functions so you can replace a lot of your other kitchen appliances too. I have a Crock Pot Express and Ninja Foodi. I use all three to make this.
- I’ve made lots of other dishes in my Instant Pot because it makes dinner time quick and easy.
Follow these frozen chicken in the Instant Pot directions to do so.
Our electric pressure cooker chicken is shredded and served as sliders.
I would not recommend it for this chicken and rice casserole though.
Why? Because first of all the meat needs to be in bite size pieces. Chances are it wouldn’t be cut into small enough pieces like this before freezing. You also want to cook the outsides just a bit on the first step.
This isn’t possible if your chicken is frozen. Another downside is more liquid will be added once it defrosts. This will make it a soupier texture.
When there’s not enough thin cooking liquid in a pressure cooker it may not be able to generate enough steam to come up to pressure. The bottom of the pot will become too hot triggering burn on Instant Pot.
To avoid this do NOT stir rice into the mixture, instead gently submerge into the liquid on the top.
Do yourself a favor and just use fresh diced boneless skinless breasts or chicken thighs to make this pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe.
Instant Pot chicken rice
Mine came out really well but several people had issues with them not cooking through. Or their pot did not reach pressure so I have revised this recipe.
Now the recipe reads with the chicken cut up into cubes so there shouldn’t be any issues any longer! A problem you may experience if you don’t follow the directions EXACTLY as they’re stated below is with the rice.
Making Instant Pot white rice is the exception to this rule since there are no other ingredients other than water.
At first I was intimidated because I had never used one before. Now that I’ve tinkered with it I use it every day and share new pressure cooker recipes each week. They are all yummy and super simple to do like this one.
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Cup of rice (not instant white rice, we like Jasmine rice)
- Chicken breasts
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Cream of chicken soup
- cream of mushroom could be used instead
Chicken broth – can use water but broth is so much better
1 – 1/2 cup Cheese (optional but so good, we like sharp cheddar).
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker – I have a 6 qt.
- I HIGHLY suggest you get a non stick pot too!
Variations of this Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe
- I have used rotisserie chicken vs. raw chicken – just use 2 breasts and dice the chicken up, then skip the first step where the chicken is browned, just put it into the bottom of the pot
- You can amp it up with a bit of spice and veggies with Instant Pot Mexican chicken and rice.
Added vegetables and share it in our Instant Pot chicken broccoli rice recipe.
Just naturally release steam for 3 minutes, lift the lid, and the cooked rice is so tender! Chicken is always tender, flavorful, and who doesn’t love a one pot meal??
I haven’t made it with brown rice yet but others have, comments for that method are below.
I modified the recipe I found here but adjusted some ingredients and the time as well for it to come out moist and ensuring the rice was done perfectly.
- Cheesy Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole is a family favorite
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is a popular dinner idea
- Pressure cooker frozen whole chicken
- Instant Pot white rice goes great with our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken on top
Want to make this in your Ninja Foodi too? Of course we’ve done that. Just follow this Ninja Foodi chicken casserole recipe for that pot.
If you want to make this using noodles instead of rice follow our pressure cooker chicken noodle casserole directions.
Ready to make our cream of mushroom chicken and rice dish? Yes you can throw in quartered fresh mushrooms too!
I suggest using baby bellas vs. button so they don’t get so soft. Bellas will keep their shape and maintain their texture better.
- Just make sure you throw them in at the very top and don’t submerge them.
- So once you sprinkle in your rice and gently submerge, then set mushrooms on top of that.
Instant Pot chicken and rice
Here’s a quick step by step but I also have a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
Put bite size chicken and diced onions into pot with some olive oil and set to saute. Cook outsides just enough so pink is gone (insides will still be raw and that is okay) Turn pot off now.
- Add ingredients
Sprinkle in seasoning, whisk together broth and can of cream of chicken soup together in a bowl – stir that in. Add frozen vegetables if you want at this time.
Sprinkle in uncooked white rice but DO NOT stir in, just gently submerge into the liquid at the top.
Close lid and steam valve and set to high for 9 minutes. Allow steam to release naturally for 3 minutes and then open steam valve to pressure release the rest of the way.
If you do a quick release rice won’t be as perfectly tender.
Add cheese now and stir so it melts (optional add in but it’s good). Serve topped with more cheese for added yumminess!! If you want to use noodles instead, try our Instant Pot chicken and pasta recipe instead.
If you want to make this with a sausage link, try our Instant Pot sausage and rice recipe! Print the recipe below and enjoy!
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Put cubed chicken pieces and diced onions into Instant Pot with olive oil and set to saute, cook until chicken is cooked on the outside (will continue to cook in next step so outside just needs to be cooked/white in color). Turn pot off!
- Sprinkle with seasonings. Add cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables, and broth into your pressure cooker. Stir together WELL until clumps of cream of chicken are smoothed out.
- Sprinkle rice on top and DO NOT Stir!!
- Put lid on Instant Pot, close steam valve and set to manual, high pressure for 9 minutes. (10 is fine too if you want rice a bit softer)
- Allow to naturally release for 3 minutes when done, let out rest of steam, and carefully lift lid. Add cheese now and stir until melted or serve topped with cheese.