Amazingly easy pressure cooker chicken and rice casserole recipe we make in our Instant Pot the other night for dinner. Just 10 minutes cooks chicken, rice and vegetables perfectly. My kids absolutely love this meal.
We eat a lot of chicken, rice, and vegetables so it only made sense to make all three in my Instant Pot since I knew I could make it in there quite quickly. This is an amazingly easy pressure cooker chicken and rice recipe that takes just 10 minutes to cook and even my kids love it! . We love casseroles and this reminds me of Campbells chicken and rice from my childhood except this cooks a lot quicker. One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes now and listed there amongst many other easy dishes you should try! (originally published 3/17)
Adding vegetables to this dish gives it great flavor, texture, and I find the more I include them in our dinners the more my kids are fond of them. Of course you can omit them if you wish. 😉
This Instant Pot chicken and rice with cream of chicken soup is a dinner that the whole family will enjoy….I promise!
I guarantee that…….
If you have ever made the Campbell’s chicken and rice dish this is very similar but cooked in my Instant Pot so timing and a few more ingredients were added to it.
I ate something similar A LOT growing up with everything just dump and go kinda’ meal that I really loved and was made often because it was cheap….and pretty healthy really.
It has everything in a comfort food you’ll want including a bunch of mixed vegetables that cook in no time.
Add any other spices you enjoy, I add just a few myself.
I first made this pressure cooker chicken and rice using whole chicken breasts (small ones) and it came out really well but several people had issues with them not cooking thru or their pot not reaching pressure so I have revised this recipe.
Now the recipe reads with the chicken cut up into cubes so there shouldn’t be any issues any longer!
(I didn’t have issues with it cooked this way but I always want to provide the best visitor experience so I tested and tested it to ensure nobody had issues when creating this fabulous dish). 😉
I’ve made lots of other dishes in my Instant Pot because it makes dinner time quick and easy.
If you don’t have one and are a busy mom I would HIGHLY recommend it.
It’s a pressure cooker with 6 other functions so you can replace a lot of your other kitchen appliances too.
I was intimidated at first because I had never used one before but now that I’ve tinkered with it I use it every day and share recipes each week that are yummy and super simple to do like this one.
Here it is…….
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- White rice (not instant rice, we like Jasmine rice)
- Chicken breasts (medium size, boneless, skinless)
- Frozen mixed vegetables
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken broth – can use water but broth is so much better
- Cheese (optional but can shred and top when done, we like sharp cheddar)
- Salt and pepper
- Onion (diced, optional, or minced dried onion)
- Instant Pot or pressure cooker – I have a 6 qt.
Variations of this Instant Pot chicken and rice recipe
- I have used rotisserie chicken vs. raw chicken – just use 2 breasts and dice the chicken up, then skip the first step where the chicken is browned, just put it into the bottom of the pot
- I’ve used a 10 oz. bag of frozen broccoli florets (seen here) instead of frozen mixed vegetables and it tasted amazing too
It is such a quick chicken pressure cooker recipe.
I modified the recipe I found here but adjusted some ingredients and the time as well for it to come out moist and ensuring the rice was done perfectly.
If you love this easy dinner idea try our other easy Instant Pot chicken recipes here are a few
- Instant Pot chicken parmesan casserole is a family favorite
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken is a popular dinner idea
- Pressure cooker frozen whole chicken
- Instant Pot white rice goes great with our Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken on top
Here’s a step by step video showing you how to make our Instant Pot chicken and rice dish
Here’s a printable recipe as well.
Pressure Cooker Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut into cubes, boneless, skinless
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 c mixed vegetables frozen
- 1 c white rice not instant, we use long grain white rice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 onions diced
- pinch pepper
- 2 c chicken broth could use water
- 1/2 c cheese cheddar, shredded
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put cubed chicken pieces and diced onions into Instant Pot with olive oil and set to saute, cook until chicken is cooked on the outside (will continue to cook in next step so outside just needs to be cooked/white in color). Turn pot off!
- Sprinkle with seasonings. Add cream of chicken soup, frozen vegetables, and broth into your pressure cooker. Stir together WELL until clumps of cream of chicken are smoothed out.
- Sprinkle rice on top and DO NOT Stir!!
- Put lid on Instant Pot, close steam valve and set to manual, pressure low, for 10 minutes. (if you don't have the low option then just press the white rice button, or high pressure for 10 minutes hasn't been an issue for others either)
- Allow to naturally release for 5 minutes when done, let out rest of steam, and carefully lift lid. Add cheese now and stir until melted or serve topped with cheese.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉