Instant Pot Mexican chicken and rice recipe that is packed with flavor. With black beans, rice, corn and protein, it is a killer one pot meal.
This Instant Pot Mexican chicken and rice recipe has vegetables, protein, and carbs all cooked together. Now that is my kind of meal! Just one of over 100+ quick Instant Pot recipes on our site. (affiliate links present)
We started this journey by making “regular” pressure cooker chicken and rice. There are less ingredients in this one and close to the traditional Campbells casserole you had as a child.
It was time to amp this up as a hearty Cinco de Mayo recipe, it was a real win for us all. You can make it as a Ninja Foodi recipe as well, any pot works.
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then LIKE our IP Facebook page for new ideas daily.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Mexican Chicken and Rice
Yes you could make this on the stovetop in a pot. You’d follow the same instructions below but the cook time would be much longer. I’d make sure to stir it a few times and brown the meat in your first step.
Once your rice is nice and tender remove it promptly so it doesn’t overcook and dry out.
How do you make chicken and rice from scratch?
We will show you how right here. Using a pressure cooker means you only dirty one pot and the cook time with time to reach pressure is close to 20 minutes flat. It’s a great way to cook a low fat meal.
Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole
It is kinda like a loaded Instant Pot casserole of sorts. We love these because everything is added into the inner lining with NO precooking required. The biggest tip to remember when adding pasta or rice is to NOT stir it in.
You do not want either of these laying on the bottom or else burn on Instant Pot message may flash on your screen. If so the pot will turn off and you may not be able to rectify the issue since it’s all stirred together already.
- Diced boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs would work too
- Uncooked long grain white rice – I do not use Instant Pot brown rice for this as it would cook much longer and the other ingredients would overcook a bit.
- Chicken broth
- Can of Rotel
- Drained can of corn kernels
- Black beans drained too
- A bit of olive oil to saute your meat
Cheese is a must for us but if you needed it to be dairy free you could omit that entirely. We use a lot, some stirred in and more served on the top when done.
Is chicken breast and rice healthy?
If left plain with just some seasonings and no sauce then yes. Unless you are focusing on a low carb or keto diet which would say no to the rice portion it is quite healthy as is made separately or together.
Can you cook rice and meat at the same time in Instant Pot?
Yes! We have done this with many other Instant Pot casseroles. Using different types of meat such as sausage and beef too it is a great way to make a homemade meal quickly.
Something else you might wonder about and we need to answer right up front:
As far as the liquid goes you could use either broth or water. I will say that the first offers the entire dish a lot more flavor than the other though. I mean if I have some vegetable broth in the fridge that needs to be used up I’ll use that and the rest will be chicken stock.
Just wait until the very end to add your starch. Like I stated below you need to just sprinkle it on top and use your spoon to gently submerge it into the liquid below. Then the white rice will get tender but not burn.
Time needed: 9 minutes.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
Turn pot to saute and add olive oil. Add cubed chicken, diced onion and garlic if you wish, salt, garlic powder, paprika and some red pepper flakes.
Cook until meat is no longer pink on the outside and then turn your pot off.
Pour in your can of rotel without draining it (you want the liquid too), drained black beans and drained can of kernel corn to the bottom of the pot. Add your chicken broth. Stir all of this together.
Sprinkle uncooked white rice on to the top and gently use back of spoon to submerge into the liquid, do not stir together.
Put lid on, close steam valve and set to high pressure for 9 minutes. Allow for a 2 minute natural release when done. Then quick release rest of steam.
Lift your lid, fluff rice mixture with a fork and sprinkle 1 cup of your cheese on top. Now gently mix that in and set top on again just for 3 minutes so that melts.
Lift top off, serve with additional cheese, sour cream, chili powder, diced tomatoes, green onions, avocado slices on top. I mean I am sure you have other ideas for toppings as well….
This is what it looks like when we’re ready to chow down!! You can make it in any brand pressure cooker you may own. I have a Crockpot Express, Mealthy, Foodi and IP.
Ninja Foodi Mexican Chicken and Rice
If you do have this type of pot you could even go a step further! Like our Ninja Foodi spaghetti recipe you can add that extra layer of cheese and then air crisp it. That way it gets a bit crispy and brown and OH MY, need I say more.
That is amazing, you could do the same if you poured this into an oven safe dish. Layer more cheese on the top and under your boiler just for a few minutes. If you don’t want to do either it still tastes amazing y’all.
Pressure Cooker Mexican Rice
Looking for other ideas beyond this one but with the same Spanish flare? We have a bunch like our Instant Pot chicken taco bowls and more….
- A great under 30 minute meal is this pressure cooker Mexican pizza that is fun to layer up.
- Then try our slow cooker chicken enchilada soup some night.
- Instant Pot taco pasta uses ground beef, is creamy and delicious with the bold flavors of taco seasoning in it.
You can print recipe below or just come back time and time again to get the instructions. We love “seeing you” of course. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 c rice white, long grain, uncooked
- 1 can rotel 10 oz.
- 1 can black beans 15 oz, drained
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 2 1/4 c chicken broth
- 2 c cheese colby jack and cheddar mix was used
- 2 green onions diced
- 1 tomato diced
- Turn pot to saute and add olive oil. Add cubed chicken, diced onions, salt, garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flakes once oil is hot and cook until meat is no longer pink on the outside.
- Turn pot off and pour in can of rotel, drained black beans and corn as well as your chicken broth. Stir together.
- Sprinkle uncooked white rice on to the top and gently use back of spoon to submerge into the liquid, do not stir together.
- Put lid on, close steam valve and set to high pressure for 9 minutes with a 2 minute natural release. Then let out rest of steam quickly.
- Lift lid, fluff rice mixture and sprinkle 1 cup of your cheese on top. Gently mix in and set top on again just for 3 minutes so that melts.
- Lift top off, serve with additional cheese, diced tomatoes, green onions, avocado slices on top.