If you are looking for an easy enchilada soup in slow cooker or made on the stovetop we have one you MUST try. A healthy one pot meal with fresh chicken or leftover rotisserie.
This meal is one I cook often, especially when I am going to be gone all day. I can throw everything in my slow cooker, and it is ready by dinner time with no prep. Here’s the easy enchilada soup recipe with chicken that’s one of our favorite easy Crockpot recipes! (originally published 6/13, post may contain affiliate links)
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
I will focus on how to make this as one of our simple crockpot chicken recipes. BUT if you wanted to use a pot instead on your stove that is just as simple. I just think slow cooking is so much easier as I don’t have to pay attention to it at all during the day. NO worrying about boiling over for this method.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
You only need a few things, it is really quite healthy. Need a vegetarian version of this?? NO problem, just use vegetable broth instead and leave out the meat entirely. It is still so good that even my kids rave about it when it’s served with these garlic rolls.
Easy Enchilada Soup
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
Enchilada Soup with Frozen Chicken
Here is how you make this easy chicken enchilada soup. What I usually do is just throw it together in about 5 minutes on busy mornings and it cooks all day by itself. If I find poultry on sale and stock up I’ll use that because slow cooker frozen chicken breasts even works fabulously well!
Grab a loaf of bread, or make my easy beer bread right before it’s done and it is a delicious hearty. Pretty healthy too that all 5 of us love! You’re going to need;
- 2 boneless chicken breasts skin removed, boneless, sliced in half
- or use pre cooked chicken
- this makes a great leftover chicken breast recipe
- Chicken broth
- 1 can red enchilada sauce red, 10 oz
- Canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Corn that is canned and drained, or 1 bag of frozen kernels works too
- Can pf rotel or diced tomatoes
- About half of an onion diced
This whole pot will make about 6 bowls of soup if you are serving as a main dish. Stays for several hours on the stay warm function so it’s great for Super Bowl too.
Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Chili’s Chicken Enchilada Soup
Ok so this is the first place I had this, maybe you’re the same. It was incredible, for sure, BUT I looked at it time and time again and thought it would be so easy to make myself. Of course it took me years to stop buying it and just threw in what was in the pantry. Literally it was easier than ever.
What got me going was after I had a bunch of boiled shredded chicken left over in the fridge. You know how I hate wasting food! Felt like I didn’t really need fresh to make this since everything else is canned and already tender. Totally worked like a charm.
Pantry Red Enchilada Soup
I have used all three types; with leftover rotisserie chicken, frozen chicken breasts, and fresh meat as well. Believe it or not there isn’t a huge cook time at all. Seriously. I mean with precooked you could enjoy after 4 hours since you’re just warming it up but typically I will leave for 6 anyway. Which is how long you need for the others.
Leftover Chicken Soup Recipe
Let me speak for just a minute though about using frozen meat in any sort of recipe. You can use whole pieces but you really want to have them be boneless and skinless. That is #1 tip. The #2 thing to remember is you need them to be separated. If you pull them out of the freezer and they’re in a huge chunk, defrost chicken in microwave to separate.
- Pour everything into your pot or slow cooker.
- You can use shredded precooked, fresh boneless skinless breasts sliced in half or even frozen chicken breasts too if that is all you have. Stir together.
- Turn your crock pot to low and cook 4-6 hours with precooked meat, or at least for 6 hours for fresh or frozen (until chicken is cooked thru). Cook on high for 4-5.
- On the stovetop set to medium with a lid on and cook until meat can be shredded with 2 forks easily, about 15-20 minutes.
- boiling frozen chicken would take 18 to 22 min.
Shred chicken about 30 min. before eating so it soaks up juices and serve with tortilla chips and add spicy jack cheese on top, or search beer bread on my blog and make that!
Slow Cooker Mexican Soup
Tortilla chips are of course optional but will transform this into a chicken tortilla soup. Larger versions are a fun thing to scoop up what’s inside and on the bottom. That is what we do with this and our spicy chicken noodle soup recipe.
If you like it spicier then choose a hotter enchilada sauce, or if you don’t like it as spicy add mild sauce and add a bit more chicken broth to the mix. It is very versatile that way and a great dish to serve for a potluck too! I have a video in this post showing you how easy it is to make. Then try our Instant Pot enchiladas and enjoy.
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
To make this creamy you can add room temp. 1/2 of a package of cream cheese 30 minutes prior to being done. Cut into smaller chunks so the heat melts it and creates a thicker texture to it. We always serve with shredded cheese on top for sure, a dollop of sour cream is pretty yummy too.
Have leftovers?? We have a great way to save leftover soup here. You can use this same method for any variety. Saves in blocks and then you can defrost and enjoy it again another day quite easily. To reheat once thawed you just use a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, stir, and add another minute.
Wait, we have more though. Once you fall in love with how easy this one was to make check out a few of our other dishes that are dump and go like this one. If you’d rather make another dinner similar to this one using ground beef try our Crockpot enchilada casserole or our 5 ingredient crockpot chili recipe for a classic dish.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Easy Enchilada Soup
- Add all items to the slow cooker. You can use shredded precooked, fresh breasts sliced in half or even frozen chicken breasts too if that is all you have. Stir together.
- Turn your crockpot to low and cook 4-6 hours with precooked meat, or at least for 6 hours for fresh or frozen (until chicken is cooked thru).
- Shred chicken about 30 min. before eating so it soaks up juices and serve with tortilla chips and add spicy jack cheese on top, or search beer bread on my blog and make that!