This is the best beer bread recipe you’ll ever make! Only requires 3 basic ingredients too! We like to add cheddar cheese and chiles to make it out of this world! Served as a side dish or as an appetizer with dip it’s a real winner with everyone, even those who aren’t fans of beer.
So why exactly is this the best beer bread recipe, well because you literally only need 3 ingredients to make it!! I love EASY recipes and beer bread is so easy and pairs with so many recipes as a side dish and is great with dip as an appetizer. Let me share this easy beer bread recipe with you! (updated, originally published 5/16)
I started out years ago finding a recipe for beer bread on food.com and modified it to my liking, then added and played around with the basics from there.
The only 3 things you need to make a very basic (but great) best beer bread recipe are
- flour – self rising only
- this is how to measure flour
- 1 can/bottle of beer (any brand)
- melted butter
- some inside and some butter on top
That’s right! Just 2 dry ingredients + a beer of your choice. I choose what is on sale, and the lightest version. You just pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake until the top is a golden brown.
I used to buy this beer bread mix online but when I learned how easy it was I was kicking myself, live and learn I guess!
Now you can use a can of soda if you’d rather but beer really gives it a nice flavor. That’s even coming from someone who is not a beer drinker. I serve this often with our crockpot chili recipe and it’s perfect. This is sort of like a quick bread of sorts since there are only a few items needed. If you want it just a bit sweeter you can add a tad of granulated sugar but I typically like it savory.
- If you’re making items for St. Patrick’s Day with beer, this is a good recipe too. It’s wonderful paired with our easy Instant Pot corned beef and cabbage recipe.
The alcohol cooks out so no worries serving it to the kiddos, mine love beer bread. This time I used a hard cider beer because that is all I had on hand.
I also occasionally add other ingredients to the basic best beer bread recipe like cheddar cheese and a bit of oregano.
It is up to you. Dice up a jalapeno and add it in to give it a bit of a kick too, that is great! Preheat the oven to 375 so when you’re mixing everything together it’s ready. Using this flour non stick spray is a good idea too so it slides out nicely once it is done.
- As always when you are baking bread at home keep an eye on it at the end. 40 minutes worked well for us but if you add more cheese, or if you’re at altitude it may take closer to 50 minutes. Just keep an eye on it so it has a nice light brown color. A knife just needs to come out clean when placed into the center.
This is what we use to make the best beer bread recipe + the add ins:
- Self rising flour – all purpose will not work
- Beer – any brand works
- This flour non stick spray
- Bread pan – my loaf pan works well
- Add ins
- Cheddar cheese – 1/2 cup to 1 cup is yummy
- Diced chiles – I use canned 4 oz.
- Bacon bits even
Let it cool once it’s out of the oven. I would remove it from the pan so it doesn’t continue to cook. You can spread a bit of butter on your slice, serve as is, or if you are serving your beer bread with dip then cut into slices and then into bite sized pieces from there.
It is by far the best beer bread recipe ever and so versatile depending on what you want to add to it. It is great served with beer cheese dip.
Great recipes served with beer bread:
Best Beer Bread Recipe
- Mix beer and flour together (do not over mix) until blended but still lumpy.
- Add 1/2 of your melted butter into mix.
- If you are adding other ingredients fold them gently in now.
- Add mixture to greased loaf pan, pour the remaining butter on top and put in oven at 375 degrees for about 40 min or until knife comes out clean when put into middle of loaf.