Baking bread at home isn’t as scary as it sounds. It is easier to make than you probably think. If you wanna try making homemade bread here’s an easy way.
I once was totally against even the idea of baking bread at home because it just sounded too hard, and what would be the point. Then we made bread in a bag with a honey wheat flavor that was so amazing I was converted!
No I don’t make homemade bread on a regular basis. But now and again when I want to make a treat I will make a few loaves for all of us to enjoy. It’s a great recipe to bake with your kids too.
I will tell you it is amazing for french toast, sandwiches, for breakfast with some of our pressure cooker jam spread on top and once it starts to get a bit stale we use it to make apple pie bread pudding!
- Here’s a picture showing you a few of the steps you take to make this easy homemade bread recipe.
- This is white bread, we’ve made honey wheat as well using our bread in a bag process too.
Why would you bother making homemade bread?
- It has an amazing flavor, nothing like store bought
- You know exactly what is inside, since you put all the ingredients in yourself
- There are no preservatives
- You can control how crunchy or soft your crust is
- Making homemade bread opens up a world of possibilities when it comes to making different types of breads
- Add rosemary
- Include some garlic
- Make it sweeter with a bit more sugar, cinnamon and raisins
- It is a fun learning experience in the kitchen you can share with your kids, let them help you bake some…they will love it!
- You can make a month’s worth of bread, freeze it, and be prepared for quite some time
What you need for baking bread at home
- Mixing bowl – a large bowl is helpful
- A work surface – cutting board will do
- Flour – make sure to measure flour properly or this won’t work right
- Active dry yeast
- We will use milk instead of warm water for this
- Bread flour
Recipe below makes 3 loaf pans of bread. Seriously….that is all you need. No bread machine needed to make it this way.
I will tell you it takes a bit of patience but it is worth it if you are up for trying something new. Plus it tastes amazing.
Here’s a photo of the honey wheat homemade bread in a bag we made before. Comes out nice and golden brown on top.
What to serve with your homemade bread
Wrap up a loaf of bread for a neighbor and take it over too! It’s a great bread for gifting and enjoying at home.
Here’s the printable recipe for baking bread at home:
Baking Bread at Home
- 4 c flour
- 1.5 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 c milk
- 6 c bread flour
- 1.5 tbsp salt
- In a bowl mix together 4 c flour, your yeast and sugar.
- In another bowl pour 4 c milk and your butter. Put in microwave until butter is melted and mixture is warmed using 45 second intervals until reached.
- Pour milk/butter mixture into the flour mixture, mix well.
- Add 1 c of bread flour at a time mixing in between each add in.
- Knead bread for 8-10 minutes until it is nice and has an elastic texture.
- Spread a bit of oil into a bowl and put the dough in the bowl, cover and let rise for about an hour or until it has doubled.
- Punch down the dough after that and divide it into 3 loaf pans. Cover and let rise again for an hour.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Allow to cool before slicing.