Lots of easy homemade bread recipes with yeast are here! From white to wheat and sweet breads too, we have lots to choose from to make your meal perfect. Many are savory for dinner but others like our Pumpkin Yeast Bread are sweeter for breakfast.
Looking for a few new and easy homemade bread recipes with yeast??!! We’ve got you covered, along with a few no yeast bread recipes too. 😉 Get your apron and baking hats on because we’re gonna’ keep you busy this month with yumminess! (affiliate links present, originally published 4/20)
What happens when you bake bread?
How does baking bread work? As the dough heats up it becomes more fluid. The gas cells expand and the dough begins to rise.
Want to save this post?
Enter your email below and get it sent straight to your inbox.
And be automatically signed up for our free newsletter too!
- You will need a package of active dry yeast (or instant yeast some call it) to make all of these easy bread recipes.
- All purpose, bread flour, or wheat flour are also necessary as well as a few loaf pans to “house” your bread dough.
Is King Arthur flour better?
- It depends on whom you ask, though it does offer more protein than other brands. Gold Medal is usually what people have in their cupboards.
What are the ingredients used in making bread?
- All purpose flour
- Fat, typically vegetable or olive oil
Where do you bake bread in the oven?
- You’ll want to adjust two of your oven racks so one is in the lowest position and the other is in the middle.
- Tip: Place a broiler pan on the bottom rack while the oven preheats.
- When the pan is hot, carefully pour about 1 cup hot tap water into it.
Why do you put water in the oven when baking bread?
- The steam helps create a golden brown, crisp, crackly crust.
We are going to start with the basics first. Baking bread at home is easier than you might think. Other than the basics, I suggest having a stand mixer like mine for mixing and a cutting board to knead the dough.
- I have never owned or used a bread machine but I have heard those are amazing too.
- I’ll use my pressure cooker though to proof dough in Instant Pot.
Then we’ll go on to share how to make homemade hamburger buns! Yes you can buy packaged and they aren’t that expensive BUT with these you can vary them with sesame seeds or everything bagel seasoning on top!!
How do you know when bread is done baking?
When the temperature reads between 190 and 210 degrees, your bread is done. If you don’t have a way to measure the temp. then insert a toothpick or a sharp knife into the middle at the thickest part. If it comes out with batter stuck to it, it isn’t quite done yet.
- Once you’ve made a loaf like you see above, you should try our easy roll recipe. These are also great to serve with just about any dinner.
- Only have a few of you at home? Make 1-2 batches and freeze them. Take out one at a time, thaw on the counter and warm in the microwave for 10 seconds each.
Remember when preparing homemade bread you’ll need a bit of time. Not only do you have mixing and kneading the bread but it needs to sit for a good 30 minutes to 45 minutes in a warm area to rise.
- If you want it to turn out great, don’t be in a rush!
How long should bread rest after baking?
It’s important to let your homemade loaf of bread to cool all the way. If it is barely warm that is okay but slicing it hot is a no no. Homemade rolls will take only about 20 minutes, where bread baked in a loaf pan can take as long as 1 hour or slightly longer.
Removing it from the pan and on to a cooling rack does help speed up the process a bit.
- You can also make pretzel bread which is delicious.
- Focaccia bread is perfect with spaghetti or any Italian meal.
- Homemade brioche is amazing and perfect to use in our easy bread pudding recipe.
- Dark rye bread or multigrain bread are great for something a bit different for the table.
- Believe it or not you can even make air fryer bread too!
If you love easy honey wheat bread you can make this bread in a bag recipe! With the leftovers of any of these, give our air fryer crouton recipe a whirl. I hate wasting so this is a great way to use them up.
That’s right!! It is great when baking with kids because they can really get involved. Just use a gallon freezer bag with all of your ingredients inside.
It is not just a great kitchen / Science experiment for kids though, it tastes amazing too! A sweet slice with some butter and cinnamon and sugar is probably our favorite breakfast or dessert.
Or if you want to really wow your guests, make this cinnamon bread wreath together.
- Want to inspire your kids to love cooking? This is a great recipe to start with for sure. I haven’t experimented with it beyond this style of bread. We loved it so much we stopped there but you may be able to make white bread this way too.
- Double it and freeze a few loaves for the coming weeks too. 😉
Then try our Dutch Oven bread recipe.
Yes we have some sweet bread recipes as well here on The Typical Mom blog. Of course we do, you know I’d eat dessert before dinner every night if I could. lol
- We love making homemade cinnamon rolls at Christmas time!
- Yes they are a lot more work than the ones in the tube but there is NO comparison, these are off the charts good.
- If you need a cinnamon roll recipe no yeast you can try that too
- No knead cinnamon raisin bread is pretty amazing too. With just 1/2 cup of these little babies it will create a great breakfast bread for everyone.
- Wondering how to make Challah? If you aren’t familiar with this traditional Jewish sweet braided bread it is fantastic! I ate it frequently as a child at my friend’s house and it has wonderful memories, I can smell it now.
If you’re looking for no yeast bread recipes we have a few of those too.
- If you want to know how to make sourdough starter from scratch you can do that. It can be used for all sorts of baking.
- Our pull apart bread recipe uses refrigerated biscuits as the base but tastes homemade when done!
- Cornbread is easy and can even be made in your pressure cooker too!
- Slow cooker no yeast rolls are fun to make too!
You can make things easy and use Rhodes frozen yeast rolls to make this Easter egg bread too.
- This beer bread is REALLY popular too with just 3 ingredients. Make sure to add the cheese so it’s over the top yum.
- Here is an easy homemade flour tortilla recipe that’s perfect with taco meat or with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled inside.
- You can make air fryer tortillas too.
Homemade Bread Recipes with Yeast
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl, add a pinch of your sugar. Stir to dissolve the yeast and let stand about 5 minutes. Whisk together 4 cups of the flour, rest of the sugar, and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a divot in the center of the flour mixture and add the eggs, egg yolk, and oil. Use a fork to gently combine the egg and oil, bringing in a little bit of flour from the sides. Pour the yeast mixture in the center of the flour with the egg and oil.
- The dough has finished kneading when it is soft, smooth, and holds a ball-shape. Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl, and flip the dough once to coat with the oil. Cover with a kitchen towel, and let the dough rise until doubled in bulk, 1.5 to 2 hours.
- Separate the dough into three or six equal pieces, depending on the type of braid you’d like to do. Roll each piece of dough into a long rope roughly 1-inch thick and 16 inches long. If the ropes shrink as you try to roll them, let them rest for 5 minutes to relax the gluten and then try again.
- Gather the ropes and squeeze together at the very top. Braiding the 3 ropes together like braiding hair or yarn and squeeze the ends together until the whole loaf is braided.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment and transfer the braided bread to the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the loaf with a little flour and drape it with a clean dishcloth. Let it rise until puffed and pillowy, about an hour.
- About 20 minutes before baking, heat the oven to 350 F. When ready to bake, whisk the reserved egg white with a tablespoon of water and brush it all over the challah. Be sure to get in the cracks and down the sides of the loaf. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow cooling before slicing.