Raisin bread pudding is delicious and easy to make at home. Homemade bread pudding is easier than you think and might become a new family favorite dessert.
Ok so I’ve loved bread pudding most of my life but hasn’t made any homemade raisin bread pudding until recently! I’m all about easy recipes so of course this one is no different. (originally published 6/19, affiliate links present)
I even made an Instant Pot bread pudding version too! Have you tried making a batch for yourself yet??
I have used day old loaves of french bread in the past when I’ve made apple pie bread pudding and others but this time I took it a step further and used a loaf of raisin bread which made it even easier.
Easy Bread Pudding
How do you make bread pudding?
- Well it is way easier than you might think!
- You just need a plain, French, or raisin loaf of bread.
- Eggs and milk will make it moist.
- The rest is up to you, raisins are a great add in. We’ve even put a layer of pie filling on the top too!
Cinnamon raisin bread pudding
You can serve it up plain and it’s just sweet enough, or top it with:
- Diced berries
- A drizzle of vanilla or cream cheese frosting over each piece served
- Serve it with a simple rum sauce for bread pudding
- Powdered sugar
- A combination of a few toppings
How to make bread pudding with cinnamon raisin bread
- Buy a loaf of raisin bread at the store – in the bread aisle
- If it is really fresh and slices are really soft – leave on the counter, still tied, for a few days/a week until slices are a bit firmer
- Cut each slice into 6 equal pieces
- Sprinkle cinnamon raisin bread pieces over your melted butter
- Pour egg mixture on top of bread
- Bake as directed below
- Allow to cool at least until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan – allows it to be sliced and served easier.
If you want to make something else that is in the same category, give our oatmeal raisin muffins a whirl.
Raisin bread pudding recipe
I suggest drizzling ready made cream cheese frosting over the top of each piece when you serve it. I also love fruit on all desserts so depending on what is in season I will dice something up and add that too.
Cinnamon raisin bread pudding recipe
- This is my favorite 9×13″ baking dish I use a lot
- Large bowl
- Loaf of raisin bread
- Heels removed, bread cubed
- Heavy whipping cream
- Butter or margarine
- Maple syrup – I recommend real maple syrup
- Apple sauce – here’s a recipe for homemade apple sauce
- Could add a few tbsp of brown sugar to make it extra sweet
You could warm a tub of cream cheese frosting in the microwave and pour it on top if you like, or enjoy as is.
Bread pudding with raisins
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Bread pudding recipe with raisins
- Mix ingredients together
In a bowl whisk the egg, heavy cream, vanilla and cinnamon together.
- Cube bread
Then you’ll want to cut or cube your pieces of raisin bread. It helps if your loaf is a bit on the firmer side, day old type or leave bag open overnight.
Spray the inside of your pan. Pour your melted butter inside your prepared baking dish. Then add your cubed bread pieces and spread out evenly.
Pour over bread your whisked egg milk mixture so each piece is wet. Cover pan with foil.
I generally preheat oven to 350 degrees F at the beginning so it’s ready when I have everything prepared.
Bake for 30 minutes. Then uncover for an additional 10 – 15 minutes or until the top is golden brown and knife inserted comes out rather clean.
Keep in mind it will be very moist and egg will solidify a bit more as it cools.
It is best served warm but I do allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes after I take it out so it can solidify a bit more and it’s easier to slice. Pour vanilla sauce or melted cream cheese frosting on top and enjoy.
Total time is about 50 minutes from start to finish.
Sun Maid Raisin Bread Pudding
Other bread pudding recipes you will love:
- Apple pie bread pudding is the best. I use canned pie filling so it’s super easy with the flavors y’all love.
- Strawberry bread pudding uses the same method with canned fruit, great summertime treat.
- But our favorite is probably this banana bread pudding with fresh fruit in it.
Can you freeze bread pudding?
- There’s never much left in our house so I just refrigerate the piece or two to eat the next day.
- I wouldn’t recommend freezing it as it won’t be as good when thawed out but it’s totally up to you.
Total this takes about 45 minutes to bake and cool before serving. Just to keep in mind if you’re preparing this for Christmas brunch or another occasion with guests.
Our no bake cake is simple to create as well for a large get together.
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Raisin Bread Pudding
- Whisk together your eggs, whipping cream, maple syrup, apple sauce, cinnamon and vanilla in a bowl.
- Remove heels from your raisin bread and slice pcs into cubes, about 6 pcs. per slice.
- Melt your butter and pour it into your 9×13 pan
- Sprinkle your cubed raisin bread pcs. on top of your butter.
- Pour your egg mixture on top of that.
- Cover with foil and put into a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake for additional 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Take out and put on a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool at least enough for the edges to pull away from the pan, about 15 minutes. Slice and drizzle some melted vanilla icing on top of each piece.