This is a really easy Instant Pot butter chicken recipe that is moist and full of flavor. It only takes 5 minutes to cook and the perfect family dinner with a side of naan. If you’re never tried making pressure cooker butter chicken this is an easy one to start with. Add your own spices to make it just right for you!
I went out to eat Indian food with a few friends when I went to a conference in Utah last month. I hadn’t had it in years and wasn’t sure what to order so my friend suggested butter chicken since it was a milder dish and she said “everyone loves it”. It. Was. Amazing! Now that I am all about my pressure cooker I was sure I could make a simple version (my take on it), and I came up with this easy Instant Pot butter chicken recipe that tastes pretty similar! One of our favorite chicken Instant Pot recipes. (originally published 7/17)
Served with a side of Instant Pot white rice and/or naan this easy butter chicken recipe is definitely a winner at our house when I make it!
First of all if you don’t have one of these life changing kitchen appliances, or are scared to use it, let me convince you why it’s amazing.
- I’m a busy mom with three kids and we both work full time. One thing we love is eating one meal together. It allows us to talk about our days and truly unplug.
- The more I worked the more our dinners together dropped off, until I got my Instant Pot…..now dinners only took 30 min. MAX including prep time.
You’ve got to try it.
I am sure there are a lot of variations of butter chicken recipes and of course with any sort of recipe you should adjust the spice level to your liking. I will say this one is on the milder side of things so if you like more spice or a more pungent flavor then just add more chili powder, garam masala, cumin, or all 3.
You can use chicken breasts cut up instead of chicken thighs but thighs are much moister and have a lot of flavor themselves so I prefer them for this recipe. Of course there are many ways to make butter chicken so this may not be totally authentic but it is my take on it and tastes very similar to the one I had last month that I loved.
It’s very much a throw it in and go kinda’ meal and if I am in a real rush I throw on some Minute rice on the stovetop and they are done in less than 10 minutes flat…now that’s a quick dinner!
I haven’t made homemade naan myself yet and haven’t found a store in town that carries it on a regular basis so I use rice but making it myself is on my list of things to do.
- Until then I found this super easy naan bread recipe you can use and pair with my easy Instant Pot butter chicken, seeing a trend here…EASY. 😉
Like I said, if you have specific spices you use, and amounts, then go with that if it is to your liking but use my timing so you can make it in your pressure cooker.
If you don’t have your own specific butter chicken recipe then use mine, we love it! If you’d like to make some healthy butter chicken in your crockpot here’s another recipe to try.
Here are a few things you may not have that you’ll need to make this easy Instant Pot butter chicken:
- Garam Masala
- Chopped Ginger
- Chili Powder (optional but good even if you only add a bit, my version is not spicy)
- Rice – this is how you make fluffy Instant Pot white rice
Looking for more easy Instant Pot chicken recipes?
- Instant Pot spicy teriyaki chicken thighs
- Instant Pot orange chicken recipe
- Spicy honey Instant Pot chicken
- Pressure cooker cheesy chicken spaghetti
Here’s the printable recipe as well:
Easy Instant Pot butter chicken
- 6 chicken thighs boneless, skinless, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp ginger chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp corn starch optional to thicken sauce at the end
- Turn your Instant Pot to saute, medium, and add butter.
- When butter is melted add cubed chicken and onion.
- Cook just enough for chicken pieces to cook just a touch on the outside.
- Add all other ingredients into your Instant Pot or pressure cooker and mix together well.
- Put lid on and close steam valve.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, pressure, low, for 5 minutes. (enough time if cut into bite size pieces, if larger pieces increase time)
- When done move steam valve just slightly so steam comes out slowly.
- Carefully lift lid. Serve immediately or remove chicken and set to saute low for just a few minutes. Put some of the hot liquid in a small bowl with 1 tbsp of cornstarch and whisk together, add back into the pot and stir. May do this again with another tbsp. depending on how thick you want the sauce to be.
- Sauce will thicken more as it sits. Turn off, add chicken back in, and serve with rice and/or naan.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉