Here’s a healthy butter chicken recipe you can make in your slow cooker or make really quick pressure cooker butter chicken too. If you love this traditional Indian dish it’s never been easier to make right at home for dinner. Full of flavor on top of rice or with a side of naan it will be a family favorite too.
If you love Indian food but looking for a healthy butter chicken recipe to make at home I have a great recipe for your slow cooker or pressure cooker! We first made this easy Instant Pot butter chicken and it did come out delicious. But if you’re looking for a healthier side of things this one is great. Of course there are very traditional butter chicken recipes and if you already have one then by all means use your recipe. Just refer to our directions as far as cooking it in your crockpot. If you need an easy version the one below we created is great. One of our favorite crockpot recipes.
When it comes to Indian food it is all about the spices right??!!
Many of them you probably have in your cabinet but there are a few you may need to pick up or order online. I will share those below, and they are necessary when getting that authentic flavor you love.
What you’ll need to make this slow cooker healthy butter chicken recipe (you can use the same ingredients for pressure cooker butter chicken as well).
- Tomato sauce and paste
- Curry – you can find it here
- Cumin – this is the one I have
- Cayenne pepper
- Rice – here’s how to make perfect Instant Pot white rice, or serve with with naan
Now if you want to make our Instant Pot butter chicken recipe (link at top of this post) you will use this recipe but the instructions as far as timing goes there. The recipes are different and since this one doesn’t have heavy cream. It is healthier but seriously they are both yummy!
Here’s the printable recipe to make it in your slow cooker.
Healthy Butter Chicken Recipe
- 1 lb chicken breasts boneless, skinless, cut into cubes
- 1/2 c onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 can tomato sauce 15 oz.
- 1 can tomato paste 6 oz
- 1 tsp curry
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin ground
- 1/4 c cilantro fresh, to top
- Place diced chicken pieces, onions, garlic, pepper, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices into your slow cooker. Mix well to coat chicken with everything.
- Put lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hrs or on high for 4 hrs. (I prefer slow and longer).
- Serve on a bed of rice or with a side of naan, top with cilantro.
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉