Here’s a healthy butter chicken recipe you can make in your slow cooker or make really quick pressure cooker butter chicken too. If you love this traditional Indian dish it’s never been easier to make right at home for dinner. Full of flavor on top of rice or with a side of naan it will be a family favorite too.
If you love Indian food but looking for a healthy butter chicken recipe to make at home I have a great recipe for your slow cooker or pressure cooker! Just refer to our directions as far as cooking it in your crockpot. If you need an easy version the one below we created is great. One of our favorite crockpot recipes.
We first made this in our Instant Pot and it did come out delicious. But if you’re looking for a healthier side of things this one is great.
Of course there are very traditional butter chicken recipes and if you already have one then by all means use your recipe.
Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
When it comes to Indian food it is all about the spices right??!!
Many of them you probably have in your cabinet but there are a few you may need to pick up or order online.
I will share those below, and they are necessary when getting that authentic flavor you love.
Healthy butter chicken recipe
- Chicken – breasts or thighs can be used
- Tomato sauce and paste
- Curry – you can find it here
- Cumin – this is the one I have
- Cayenne pepper
Now if you want to make our Instant Pot butter chicken recipe you will use this recipe. The ingredients and instructions are different.
The recipes are different and since this one doesn’t have heavy cream. It is healthier but seriously they are both yummy!
Crockpot Butter Chicken
Recipe for this method of cooking is below in the printable card.
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Healthy Butter Chicken Recipe
- Place diced chicken pieces, onions, garlic, pepper, tomato sauce, tomato paste, and spices into your slow cooker. Mix well to coat chicken with everything.
- Put lid on and cook on low for 6-8 hrs or on high for 4 hrs. (I prefer slow and longer).
- Serve on a bed of rice or with a side of naan, top with cilantro.