Here’s an easy slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup recipe your family will love! Unstuffed cabbage soup you could call it and cooks on it’s own all day in your crockpot. If you love bold flavors this homemade cabbage soup will bring you back to your childhood for sure.
This slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup is one of our favorite meals. All of us just love it, that’s right…even the kids!! It’s comfort food in a bowl and now listed on our long list of crockpot recipes we know you’ll love.
If you have never made any cabbage recipes you may be hesitant. I know I was at first.
Now I love all the things with this crunchy green veggie. I will even snack on air fryer cabbage from time to time. 😉
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! Let’s talk a little bit about slow cooking shall we?? First off I have a few different varieties and I love them all. Each one has an occasion to be used like….
- This is my favorite 6 quart programmable one with a locking lid so it’s great for bringing to a potluck too.
- If you just want to serve a few appetizers you should get this one that sit side by side one another.
- I prefer not to use liners, but rather just spray olive oil inside before adding my food for easier cleanups.
Let me give you a peek of my pretty thang I bought recently. It goes with my kitchen so I can just leave it out on the countertop all the time. 😉
- I am not a huge salad lover and cabbage just felt like “an old person food”.
- Don’t know why it just did.
- But, I can tell you I am a lover of it now after a few recipes like t
- If you love cabbage rolls, you’re going to go crazy over this meal!
This came out amazing!! I don’t know what it is now about cabbage but it is really good! I do love my slow cooker stuffed cabbage recipe but that is labor intensive.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
The ingredients are rather simple. I generally buy whatever brand is on sale. This feeds all 5 of us easily so depending on whether you’re serving it as a main dish or a side dish it feeds a decent amount of people.
Crock pot cabbage soup
- Rice – uncooked, we prefer Jasmine
- Beef broth
- Spaghetti sauce
- Tomato soup
- tomato sauce doesn’t have as much flavor
- diced tomatoes will make it chunkier but would still need seasonings like Worcestershire sauce and others…just use the soup
- Ground beef
Just cover and cook your Crockpot cabbage recipe with all of your ingredients. Stir together, cook for about 4 hours on high and you’re set! I haven’t made this on low but I would think 6 hours would do the trick.
Since you are precooking the meat over medium heat before adding you’re really just melding the flavors together. The time is for softening the cabbage leaves as well but doesn’t take a long time really.
Here’s what ours looks like. I will say that there is a variation to the timing depending on how soft you like your cabbage. We prefer ours with a little texture still, not mushy.
The timing above reflects that. If you really want it super soft then you’d need to add maybe 30 minutes more on to the cook time, check, and add another 30 if you think it needs it.
- Crockpot split pea soup is amazing and quite healthy
- Slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a classic favorite
- Crockpot potatoes are the perfect side dish with 5 ingredient chili inside
- We have other simple cabbage recipes here too
If you’re ready to try the best unstuffed cabbage recipe this is it!
Tweaks you could make to this stuffed cabbage soup:
- Use hamburger or ground sausage. We think spicy ground sausage is best.
- Add rice for a heartier meal. Omit if desired.
- Use less beef broth if you want it to be thicker, more cabbage casserole style.
Crockpot cabbage roll soup
Nutritional information such as saturated fat and calories are listed too. They will vary depending on the sausage or beef and onion you use of course.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Cook ground beef and onions in a skillet on the stovetop until meat is brown. Add to your slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients except your cabbage into your crockpot and slowly stir together.
- Add cabbage pieces to the top and push down gently into soup mixture.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hours, serve with a bit of parmesan cheese on top!