Here’s an easy slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup recipe your family will love! Unstuffed cabbage soup you could call it and cooks on it’s own all day in your crockpot. If you love bold flavors this homemade cabbage soup will bring you back to your childhood for sure.
This slow cooker stuffed cabbage soup is one of our favorite meals. All of us just love it, that’s right…even the kids!! It’s comfort food in a bowl and now listed on our long list of crockpot recipes we know you’ll love.
- If you have never made anything with cabbage you may be hesitant. I know I was at first.
- I am not a huge salad lover and cabbage just felt like “an old person food”.
- I don’t know why it just did.
- But, I can tell you I am a lover of it now after a few recipes like t
- If you love cabbage rolls, you’re going to go crazy over this meal!
This came out amazing!! I don’t know what it is now about cabbage but it is really good! I do love my slow cooker stuffed cabbage recipe but that is labor intensive.
Slow Cooker Cabbage Roll Soup
The ingredients are rather simple. I generally buy whatever brand is on sale. This feeds all 5 of us easily so depending on whether you’re serving it as a main dish or a side dish it feeds a decent amount of people.
Crock pot cabbage soup
- Rice – uncooked, we prefer Jasmine
- Beef broth
- Spaghetti sauce
- Tomato soup
- tomato sauce doesn’t have as much flavor
- diced tomatoes will make it chunkier but would still need seasonings like Worcestershire sauce and others…just use the soup
- Ground beef
Just cover and cook with all of your ingredients stirred together for about 4 hours on high and you’re set! I haven’t made this on low but I would think 6 hours would do the trick.
Since you are precooking the meat over medium heat before adding you’re really just melding the flavors together. The time is for softening the cabbage leaves as well but doesn’t take a long time really.
Here’s what ours looks like. I will say that there is a variation to the timing depending on how soft you like your cabbage. We prefer ours with a little texture still, not mushy.
The timing above reflects that. If you really want it super soft then you’d need to add maybe 30 minutes more on to the cook time, check, and add another 30 if you think it needs it.
Looking for other easy slow cooker recipes?
- Crockpot split pea soup
- Slow cooker chicken and dumplings
- Crockpot potatoes are the perfect side dish with 5 ingredient chili inside
- We have other simple cabbage recipes here too
If you love this and have a pressure cooker you’ve got to try this Instant Pot stuffed cabbage casserole!
If you’re ready to try the best unstuffed cabbage recipe this is it!
Tweaks you could make to this stuffed cabbage soup:
- Use hamburger or ground sausage. We think spicy ground sausage is best.
- Add rice for a heartier meal. Omit if desired.
- Use less beef broth if you want it to be thicker, more cabbage casserole style.
Print recipe for crockpot cabbage roll soup below. Nutritional information such as saturated fat and calories are listed too. They will vary depending on the sausage or beef and onion you use of course.
Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Cook ground beef and onions in a skillet on the stovetop until meat is brown. Add to your slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients except your cabbage into your crockpot and slowly stir together.
- Add cabbage pieces to the top and push down gently into soup mixture.
- Set slow cooker to high and cook for 4 hours, serve with a bit of parmesan cheese on top!