Crockpot ground beef instructions are here. Want to know how to cook hamburger in a slow cooker, it’s possible! Then use it as an ingredient in your recipe.
Wondering how to cook Crockpot ground beef from raw to perfectly tender? We will share with you the timing and steps needed so you too can add this to your list of family friendly slow cooker recipes at home. (affiliate links present)
There are just some of those days when you really don’t want to sit next to the stove watching water boil. In this case, watch meat cook down.
- We make a lot of ground beef recipes and I just needed to figure this basic step down.
- How to cook hamburger in a Crockpot was the question of the day. It didn’t take too long to figure out how to do it well.
- Then I could add homemade spaghetti sauce and have slow cooker spaghetti and meatballs ready super quick.
That’s the question of the day right? If you’re here I guess you’ve been wondering this too. Yes, it’s possible and turns out great. We will show you how to do it with 1-3 pounds of ground beef on hand.
Normally the answer is yes. If you’re adding other ingredients like our Crockpot hamburger casserole then it needs to be browned on your stovetop first. If it’s alone like this, you don’t.
This is a great method to do so in just a few hours with your hands totally off of it. Yes it needs to be stirred here and there but no standing at the hot stove and getting sweaty anymore. 😉
How to cook ground beef in a Crockpot
Here is the first step….throw it in!! Ok you need to break it up and spread it out on the bottom like you see here. Makes sense right, because you want it to cook evenly. Add seasonings and/or diced onions or bell peppers now.
It’s really just as if you were to brown ground beef in a pan right?? Whether you’re just making Crockpot taco meat or going to add it into a different recipe, it works the same way.
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Crockpot ground beef
- Add ingredients
Add meat and break it up into thin smaller pieces. Spread out evenly across the bottom of the pot so it cooks evenly. Add any seasonings, garlic powder, onions and garlic or bell peppers on top.
Close lid and slow cook on high for 1.5 – 2 hours for 1 pound. If you are cooking more than that then you’ll need to increase the time. During the duration, stir every 30 minutes.
Once you notice your hamburger is browned, turn off your pot, drain and use as you’d like.
Can I put frozen meat in a slow cooker?
It is NOT recommended to do this. Instead of cooking frozen meat in a slow cooker, allow it to defrost in the fridge first. There’s the risk of harmful bacteria if you don’t.
I have cooked Instant Pot frozen ground beef but it isn’t recommended for this method. Instead, make sure meat is defrosted beforehand.
Yes you can still do the same thing over medium high heat in a pan. I do still from time to time. When I have a busy day of chores scheduled though I can get that done while stirring from time to time.
- I do think that slow cooking also brings out all the flavors you love a bit better.
- It makes sense right? Essentially marinating meat for a few hours in with your onions and maybe some taco seasoning is really going to draw those flavors in.
- This is great if you are batch cooking too!
- If you love adding diced tomatoes and tomato sauce so then you can make a few trays full of lasagna or stuffed peppers, this method is great.
- There are tons of family friendly meals you can make once this is pre cooked and ready to go.
- If you’re in a real big hurry, you can make air fryer ground beef instead.
Here is a long list of easy hamburger Crock pot recipes you can try once you’re ready to go too.
Of course we have even more Instant Pot ground beef recipes to try as well. We will share a few of our family favorite comfort food meals below.Add cheddar cheese to this slow cooker breakfast casserole and you’re set. Sausage works too, whichever you prefer.
What can ground beef be used for?
- Our hamburger casserole with sour cream is great for a Christmas brunch dish. You could use cream cheese instead for a thicker creamier choice.
- Use inside our asparagus pasta salad.
- Instant Pot lazy lasagna is a winner with parmesan cheese on top and a really short cooking time. Way easier than the “old fashioned” method.
- Another hands off approach is our Instant Pot taco meat recipe. Super quick to do and always a win with kids of all ages (and adults).
I don’t know about you but this is my go to protein. Part of it for us is that we buy 1/2 a cow from a local farmer at the beginning of each year. Then we know it is grass fed, organic meat.
We support the local farms up here while receiving healthy meat that is more inexpensive than buying it in the store. It’s a win win for us. If you’re curious about buying meat in bulk we share our journey and ideas here too.
What is ground beef made of?
- This protein generally consists of the leftover trimmings from steaks, roasts and other beef cuts.
- There is a wide range of different types though.
- The cheapest is going to have the highest fat content.
- Most expensive will be organic, grass fed and low fat.
- I think the first 2 are most important for us, I think there does need to be some fat for added flavor really.
Print recipe below, or come back when you need it. We love “seeing you”!!
Crockpot Ground Beef
- Put all ingredients into slow cooker sprayed with non stick spray. Smash meat into small pieces and a thin layer on the bottom.
- Cook on high for 1.5-2 hours breaking up meat every 30 minutes until beef is no longer pink and cooked.