How to cook air fryer ground beef perfectly in just a few minutes. The best part is that the grease drains away for extra lean protein.
Making air fryer ground beef has been a game changer for us! Fat drains away and it’s browned in just 5 minutes flat! An easy air fryer recipe you can use in a multitude of other meals. (affiliate links present, originally published 9/20)
Ground Beef Air Fryer Recipe
We buy half a cow every year. With that said we make a lot of easy ground beef recipes year round. You too can buy meat in bulk online. It saves money and trips to the store, I love it. With all the different cuts we get, we cook this the most often by far. There are so many recipes for it we love.
Whether I use it inside our very popular Instant Pot spaghetti recipe, or just mix in taco seasoning, I make this at least once a week. I love the fact that the fat and grease drain away automatically and browns it nicely in no time at all. You could use this same technique with ground turkey, chicken or even ground sausage.
FIRST – You should sign up for my free newsletter so you get new posts emailed to you twice a week and never miss out on anything! If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
- My Favorite Air Fryer is a Cosori or for a dual machine, the Foodi.
- You can find more easy air fryer recipes here, we have Ninja Foodi recipes as well; bookmark them both!
- This is the best air fryer cookbook. It’s important to know and remember how to preheat air fryer for best results.
- Here’s a printable free air fryer cooking time chart here for your fridge.
- It has temp. and times for making the best frozen foods for air fryer too.
- Then join our Facebook page below where you can share and find more ideas you’ll love.
How to Cook Ground Beef in Air Fryer
This is how our meat is packaged when we get it. They’re packaged into one pound bags, that is how much I make at a time. It is plenty for the 4 or 5 of us in the house. If you have a larger household, just do two batches.
It is done so quickly that it isn’t a big deal. You could break up two pounds and just overlap it more than I did. Typically I suggest to not do that, but with ground meat it doesn’t make that big of a difference really.
- Cook time for 1 lb. of hamburger meat is 5 minutes for us.
- If you really wanted it to have NO pink, 6 minutes would be better for you.
Super quick timing right?? All you need is a spatula or wooden utensil to break the meat apart and rotate it. Cleans up quickly in the dishwasher if you just throw it in there once you’re done. High protein, fast prep, can’t go wrong with that if you ask me.
Ground Beef Air Fryer
Here are a few questions you may have before you get going;
Absolutely! It is so easy to do in just 5 minutes and the fat just drains away from the meat. NO more sizzling in a pan inside the grease.
This is a great way to keep your hamburger meat very lean. You can use your Ninja Foodi machine to do this too.
Yes, this is how to cook frozen hamburgers in an air fryer. I would not suggest cooking an entire pound of ground beef in it though. The outside will get way more overdone by the time the middle defrosted.
If your meat is defrosted and formed into patties you can easily air fry hamburgers so they’re tender and delicious. 8 minutes at 375 degrees F.
That depends on a lot of factors, the main one being the fat content in it. If you have a very low fat content and cook it in a way where the fat drains away from the meat, that is the healthiest option.
First you’re going to break up the meat. You don’t want it to overlap if possible so each piece gets done at the same time. It doesn’t have to be super teeny tiny, you can see here how I did mine.
Air Fryer Hamburger
This air fryer beef recipe is quick and easy to make this perfectly.
All you need is your air fryer basket, a spoon or spatula to break up the meat and diced onions if you want to add those.
I chose to turn this into taco meat so I used a bowl to combine the taco seasoning and some water or broth to mix it in. Alternatively you can just season with salt and pepper.
- I like to use wooden utensils to cook in my Cosori or large air fryer.
Ground Beef Air Fryer Time
We use about a pound at a time which is just about right as far as our 6 quart pot can fit nicely. Yes there will be a slight overlap but typically you want it to spread out and not have a lot on top of one another so it cooks evenly. This is a brief step by step but there is a printable recipe card at the bottom of this post as well.
- First preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Break up ground beef and lay in air fryer basket without overlapping. You could add some diced onions on top as well if you wanted.
- Close basket and keep at 380 degrees for a total of 5 minutes breaking meat up again after 3 minutes. If you’d like it more done after 5 minutes set for 1 more minute.
- Lift out basket, drain grease in bottom drawer and use hamburger meat as you’d like.
- If you want to make tacos, put ground beef into a bowl. Sprinkle packet of dry taco seasoning on top, then pour 1/4 cup of water or beef broth on top. Stir so meat is coated, serve.
Done and looks like this in just a jiffy y’all!! Then you can mix into a casserole, serve with taco shells and all the fixings or whatever your heart desires.
Air Fryer Ground Beef Recipes
Once you have this done and ready you can add them into a ton of meals like air fryer ground beef egg rolls or:
- Air fryer stuffed peppers with rice and tomatoes.
- You can make some yummy air fryer empanadas too as an appetizer or meal.
- Add it into the mix of your homemade air fryer hash browns for a hearty breakfast with cheese on top.
Or throw it into a pot of 5 ingredient chili and you’ll have a really cheap and healthy meal for all of you.
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
Then sign up for my free newsletter, and follow me on Pinterest! 😉
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Air Fryer Ground Beef
- 1 lb ground beef thawed out, not frozen
- Preheat air fryer to 380 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- Break up ground beef and lay in air fryer basket without overlapping.
- Close basket and keep at 380 degrees for a total of 5 minutes breaking meat up again after 3 minutes. If you'd like it more done after 5 minutes set for 1 more minute.
- Lift out basket, drain grease in bottom drawer and use hamburger meat as you'd like. If you want to make taco meat, put ground beef into a bowl. Sprinkle packet of dry taco seasoning on top, then pour 1/4 cup of water or beef broth on top. Stir so meat is coated, serve.
Thursday 17th of February 2022
I’m new to air frying. I’m wondering how you get the meat out of the basket after it’s cooked. Do you just use a spoon? I know you can’t dump it out because the grease would poor out too. Thanks
The Typical Mom
Friday 18th of February 2022
For this one I use a spatula to get it out, a slotted spoon would work well too. Then drain grease.
Sunday 25th of July 2021
This sounds yummy and I'm going to try it tonight when I'm making tacos using my air fryer. Thanks!
The Typical Mom
Monday 26th of July 2021
Let me know how you liked it
Sunday 2nd of May 2021
I made it according to your recipe. Delicious.
The Typical Mom
Sunday 2nd of May 2021
Friday 22nd of January 2021
So super easy! Thanks! I had to break up, and cook a little longer because I have a very small capacity, but still only took about 10mins total!
The Typical Mom
Sunday 24th of January 2021
Saturday 26th of September 2020
I am new to my air fryer and have learned you can cook more than just chicken wings. This recipe looks easy enough and yummy. Thanks