Here’s how to make pork, chicken or beef Instant Pot tacos in no time at all! Perfect pressure cooker dinners that are cheap and full of flavor. Instant Pot carnitas are probably our favorite!
Ready for Instant Pot tacos 5 different ways for taco Tuesday??!! We have an easy carne asada tacos, healthy salsa chicken tacos, barbecue, Hawaiian tacos and of course how to make taco meat in your pressure cooker too. You’ll be covered for the whole month with all of these Instant Pot recipes for sure. (originally published 10/18, affiliate links present)
- We are going to start with our Instant Pot beef carnitas and then explain several other ways including shredded chicken like you see here.
- You can make Instant Pot carnitas with pork here too.
Why we love Instant Pot tacos
- They are inexpensive to make
- No taco shells are even necessary
- many times we make them into taco bowls
- You can add tons of toppings, or the kids can leave them plain
- Pressure cooker tacos offer tons of flavor since they’re cooked under high pressure, we feel the flavors are intensified
- They take less than 30 minutes to make including prep time and the time it takes to reach pressure
- For the most part Instant Pot tacos are pretty healthy!
Here are our Instant Pot carnitas once everything is thrown into the pot…literally this is a dump and go meal with tons of flavor!
What if you don’t have all exact ingredients listed below, here are some pressure cooker taco substitutions you can make:
- Fresh cilantro – jarred dry cilantro
- Cayenne pepper – jarred dry Sriracha
- Fresh limes – lime juice
- Fresh minced garlic – jarred minced garlic (seriously, I almost always use jarred because I’m just lazy to chop it up & I buy this one because I use so much of it)
I wouldn’t substitute minced dried onions for fresh onions but these are decent substitutions. Just in case you have everything and realize you forgot cilantro you can have jarred cilantro on hand too.
- Use what you have is my philosophy.
Here’s what you’ll need to make our easy carnitas Instant Pot tacos, more pressure cooker taco recipes below:
- Instant Pot – I have this one and it’s plenty big to feed the 5 of us. I share here my favorite Instant Pot accessories to make all my recipes here too
- Beef- stew meat or I have cut up beef bottom round steak into small strips too if need be
- Fresh limes
- Cumin – I have this one
- Fresh cilantro
- Homemade tortillas are great
If you want to add toppings this is what we like:
- Avocado – our favorite
- Raw onion
- This is how to fry corn tortillas if you want crunchy shells
Here is the printable recipe for beef carnitas we call Instant Pot tacos
If you prefer Instant Pot chicken tacos we have a few options for you too!
- The picture you see here are our 3 ingredient Instant Pot salsa chicken tacos, use chicken broth for more flavor
- We’ve made slow cooker salsa chicken too but we prefer the shorter cooking time above.
- Our Instant Pot shredded chicken is really good inside tacos too, with a barbecue flavor
- These baked chicken tacos are yummy.
- Instant Pot chicken taco bowls are amazing with black beans and chicken breasts
Even more options for Instant Pot recipes in the way of tacos are below the recipe card too! Most of them you just throw everything in, quick release and serve ’em up with lots of toppings.
Instant Pot Tacos
- Put small pieces of beef into your Instant Pot along with your onion and squeeze 3 limes inside (make sure seeds don't go into pot).
- Sprinkle in all of your seasonings and stir so all meat and onions are well coated.
- Chop cilantro bundle, tops, and add into your pot. Stir.
- Close lid and steam valve and set on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release and serve inside of small corn tortillas with more raw onion and cilantro if desired, squeeze fresh lime on top of Instant Pot taco.
- Can heat some oil on your stove and lightly fry your tortillas prior to filling them if desired.
If you love fish tacos use the recipe for this Instant Pot tilapia and make those too!
- If you make an Instant Pot whole chicken it will become fall off the bone tender, then just remove the meat and throw it into small tortillas. Serve with pressure cooker Mexican rice + whatever toppings you want….super healthy this way!!
- If all you have are frozen chicken in the Instant Pot so you can still pressure cook tacos in a jiffy. Add some taco seasoning for even more flavor!
Let’s talk about pork Instant Pot tacos shall we?
- Our favorite is to use a center cut pork loin or pork tenderloin and make this Instant Pot Hawaiian pulled pork. Once it’s shredded in this sauce goodness then put it in small tortillas or others can put it on small slider buns.
- If you love an Asian twist on tacos make this Instant Pot pulled pork recipe. It is sweet with a bit of heat. Throw that in small tortillas!
- Here’s an Instant Pot pork shoulder recipe if that is the cut of meat you choose. Comes out amazingly tender in 1 hour. Makes for a terrific homemade taco inside tortillas.
Here’s a peek at our Hawaiian pulled pork. We made them into tacos as well as served it over rice.
If you’re interested in ground beef Instant Pot tacos we have the best recipe for flavorful Instant Pot taco meat. Then make those as well with all the wonderful toppings of your choice. Add a bit of chili powder for spice or leave it mild. Top with sour cream and it will make you love tacos!!
That will take us over the edge of 4 to 5 easy pressure cooker taco recipes for you!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉