Pressure cooker chicken taco bowls are the best 15 minute dinners! A one pot meal with corn, black beans, rice and tender chicken all in a bowl. Made in your Instant Pot, Crockpot Express or Ninja Foodi you’ll be surprised at how easy they are to make.
I’m all about easy one pot meals. That is why I love these pressure cooker chicken taco bowls! Just one of many favorite Instant Pot recipes here on The Typical Mom we offer. This one is quite healthy too! (originally published 5/19, affiliate links present)
Ninja Foodi Chicken Taco Bowls
You see my daughter works at Chipotle and we LOVE eating there. This is sort of a copycat chicken bowl they offer there. Now I can make it at home anytime I want! You can make this in your Ninja Foodi or crockpot express pot too.
The meat gets fork tender and shreds easily after almost no time at all. Time saver when you want to make a homemade meal but are tired (aren’t we all).
Let’s start with a few basic tips:
- Make sure to Bookmark our InstaPot recipes page. We add new ones each week!
- Then PRINT this —–> Instant Pot cooking times cheat sheet that will help you understand how long meat, vegetables and beans take to cook in your pressure cooker.
For reference, this is the pressure cooker I have and use for all recipe creations.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Recipe
- Of course you can make this in your Mealthy too. Now that we have the Crockpot Express and Foodi. We’re kinda’ obsessed with the latter one because we can melt an additional layer of cheese on top too!
It’s one of many Ninja Foodi chicken recipes we’ve made time and time again because it’s always a hit.
Healthy and personalized once you serve it too. Tortilla chips are a must for my kiddos. But first it starts with chicken right? Breasts or thighs, you choose.
A few things I love about these taco bowls are that you can customize each one.
Healthy Chicken Taco Bowl Recipe
Here are a few questions you might have before you get started:
Um, that is up to you once you load it up with lots of toppings! Scoop it into a bowl and add guacamole, sour cream, olives, all the things on top and dig in.
Meaning everyone likes different things on their tacos right?? So while I’m loading up the avocado and sour cream, my daughter can load up on cheese and leave off everything else.
Instant Pot chicken taco bowls
- Chicken breasts – you could use thighs if you preferred
- Canned corn
- A can of black beans
- Chicken broth or stock
- Rice – uncooked white rice
- Salsa – this chunky salsa is best
- Olive oil
- Taco seasoning – homemade recipe here
- Salt and pepper to taste
Just ensure that they are boneless and skinless breasts or thighs. Also break them apart from one another before putting them into your pot so they cook evenly.
Keep in mind that if you use frozen there will be more liquid in the pot at the end. I wouldn’t adjust timing though.
Copycat Chipotle chicken burrito bowl
Here are the basic steps to follow and things to remember:
Time needed: 12 minutes.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
Put olive oil in pot and turn pressure cooker to saute function. Place chicken breasts into pot and allow to cook each side for about 2 min. per side so the outsides are no longer pink.
Turn pot off. Move chicken to the side and pour in a bit of your broth so you can deglaze your pot. (meaning scrape bits of stuck on chicken off the bottom of your pot)
- Add ingredients
Sprinkle taco seasoning on top of breasts. Pour chicken broth on top of that, then add salt if desired, followed by the can of corn. Spread kernels out evenly inside pot.
Add drained can of beans on top of that, spread out evenly. Sprinkle in uncooked rice evenly inside pot. Pour jar of salsa on top of rice so all of it is covered.
Close pressure cooker lid and steam valve to sealed. Set to pressure cook, high pressure, for 12 minutes. Then do a quick release.
Remove chicken breasts and put on a bowl to shred. Then put back into your pot with other ingredients and stir.
- Skip the sauteeing step if you’re using frozen chicken. Instead, use frozen chicken in the Instant Pot directions, shred and then continue to step 2.
- I prefer fresh.
- Remember to always deglaze your pot after cooking meat. This means you’re scraping the bits of cooked on meat off the bottom so it doesn’t show a false burn notice while it’s cooking.
It is totally up to you how you do your shredded chicken. You can use forks and shred right in the pot, but I feel like I can get it into smaller pieces if I take them out.
What goes into a Chipotle Bowl?
- It’s served with a choice of meat, I always choose chicken but some opt for beef
- Veggies – we used corn here
- Guacamole – I used diced avocado but it depends what I find on sale
- Sour cream
- Cheese at least 1/2 cup to top bowls before serving
- Side of tortilla chips
That is typically what I put out on the counter to make our taco / Instant Pot chicken burrito bowls at home.
Pressure cooker chicken taco bowls
This serves the 5 of us well. If you had more people you could easily add another breast to the mix and it would be fine. I wouldn’t adjust the cooking times for that addition or if you used 2-3 small frozen chicken breasts.
- I haven’t tried this with brown rice yet but it would need more time for that as white rice has a shorter cook time.
If you have pickier eaters who may not care for some of the ingredients just take out a cup of the chicken when you’re shredding it and serve it “plain” that way. My youngest used to prefer this, which is essentially just salsa chicken, with 1/4 cup of cheese on top.
Now that I’ve made this a few times she eats it as is with lots of toppings! Just keep serving it to them with one bite required and you might be surprised one day when they actually like it.
Instant Pot Taco Bowl
Other add in options for pressure cooker chicken taco bowls:
- Diced onion
- Bell pepper diced
- Can of chiles
Other chicken recipes you will love, and pressure cooker kids recipes to boot!
- Instant Pot Apricot chicken is sweet and simple.
- Instant Pot orange chicken
- Then you must make Instant Pot crack chicken casserole, total winner!
- We have other Ninja Foodi recipe ideas including how to make a whole chicken here too.
With prep and cook time you too can try this easy under 30 minute dinner that is sure to please everyone in your house! Yes, even the kids. 😉
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
Ninja Foodi Chicken Taco Bowls
Pressure Cooker Chicken Taco Bowls
- Put olive oil in pot and turn pressure cooker to saute function. Place chicken breasts into pot and allow to cook each side for about 2 min. per side so the outsides are no longer pink. Turn pot off. Move chicken to the side and pour in a bit of your broth so you can deglaze your pot. (meaning scrape bits of stuck on chicken off the bottom of your pot)
- Sprinkle taco seasoning on top of breasts. Pour chicken broth on top of that, then add salt if desired, followed by the can of corn. Spread kernels out evenly inside pot.
- Add drained can of beans on top of that, spread out evenly. Sprinkle in uncooked rice evenly inside pot.
- Pour jar of salsa on top of rice so all of it is covered.
- Close pressure cooker lid and steam valve to sealed.
- Set to pressure cook, high, for 12 minutes. Then do a quick release.
- Remove chicken breasts and put on a bowl to shred. Then put back into your pot with other ingredients and stir.
- Serve this in bowls topped with: sour cream avocado, cheese, etc!