Cake mix white chocolate coconut bundt cake a.k.a Tom Cruise cake tastes just like homemade! Best cake mix hack you will ever bake up. Easy and cheap to make with a bakery taste your family will go crazy over.
Ok, so have you heard of this coconut bundt cake that the superstar just raves over?? His is from Doans bakery in California and is much more expensive to buy than our version. This pudding cake is way easier to throw together too and just as pretty coated with white “snowflakes” all over the outside too. (affiliate links present)
Tom Cruise Cake
He isn’t the only one who can enjoy this deliciousness anymore, the secret is out y’all. 😉 We have made a lot of cake mix recipes over the years. It is a great base that you can tweak to make all sorts of things, and way more than just cakes. I will share a few other fun creations in regards to that statement below but this one is probably top of the list nowadays!
A few years ago we made a similar version but in a sheet pan. That tropical poke cake had our sweetened shredded coconut as you see here as well as pineapple too. Poked with a can of sweetened condensed milk poured over the top to seep in, it was the start to our island flavor creations we would share with all of you.
Cake Mix White Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake
Yes you could make this white chocolate coconut cake in another pan, but it wouldn’t be as pretty. We have made so many this way that I’ve even written an entire article about how long to bake a bundt cake with tips and tricks to using this fluted pan. Since there is a hole in the center it cuts down the cook time to under an hour, and you do NOT want to dry it out.
Especially since we are adding ingredients into our Cake Mix Hawaiian Cake to ensure it is melt in your mouth tender with every bite, it is vital with this (and every other size) that you check often nearing the end. Every oven is slightly different, that is why there is always a range. Always start with the minimum timing. The toothpick inserted method is common but I like the fingertip better.
This is what I mean by this. How to bake a moist bundt cake 101 – To me if you wait for the knife or toothpick to be dry it is already dried out. INSTEAD use your fingertip near the end. Gently touch the center of the cake portion (which is the thickest part) and as soon as it springs back, take it out!! The only keep in the hot pan for 15 minutes max.
Cake Mix Coconut Bundt Cake
Remember that the heat of the pan will continue to dry out your baked goods so you want it out of there, but in this case it is delicate. In order for it to not break apart when flipped you need the pan to be sprayed prior to the batter being poured in AND a bit of time for it to rest. SO 15 minutes is about right.
You want to allow it to rest in the pan, on a cooling rack for 15 minutes. Place a large plate or cutting board on top of the top of the pan. Grab the pan and plate and quickly invert it flipping it upside down. If you sprayed the inside with non stick spray, or greased and floured at the beginning it should slide right out.
You can add 1 extra egg yolk or 1 box of instant pudding mix into the batter to make it more moist. Another trick it to NOT over-bake it. Test often at the end and once it springs back when touched gently take it out. Only leave cake in bundt pan for 15 minutes to cool before flipping over on to a plate so it doesn’t dry out.
You can use any flavor mix you like but white works best I think. I wanted the white chocolate and coconut to really be bold so the mix needed to be mild and subtle. If you could find pineapple cake mix that might add a fun tropical twist to it.
- 1 box instant pudding mix vanilla
- 1 c sour cream
- 4 eggs – room temperature is best
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp coconut flavor extract is optional
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips
- 3 c coconut sweetened and shredded
- Use a tub of already made frosting, or our Cream Cheese Frosting Without Butter is super easy.
16 oz frosting out of a tub is used to make things easier typically but you could make your own. I mean you could just whisk together milk and a cup of powdered sugar to make a glaze like we do with our Duncan Hines Lemon Bundt Cake but in this case I like a really thick outside coating.
White Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
If you wanted to make more of a samoa bundt cake you would use chocolate cake mix, dark chocolate chips and still coat with the same coconut with a drizzle of caramel sauce over the top!!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray bundt pan with nonstick spray. Or you could make mini bundt cakes too which are fun.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix and instant pudding. Add sour cream, eggs, coconut milk and vegetable oil.
- Mix well until you have a smooth texture.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips and 1 cup of your shredded coconut. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack.
- Then carefully put a large plate on top, grab both the pan and the plate and flip it over, if sprayed properly it should slide right out. Allow it to cool on the plate for 15 more minutes.
While the cake is still slightly warm (but not hot), spread the cream cheese frosting over the surface. Top with desired amount of shredded coconut (I used an additional 2 cups of shredded coconut.
Coconut White Chocolate Bundt Cake
Want to see a few of my favorite things that I am totally obsessed with?? Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
White Chocolate Coconut Bundt Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray bundt pan with nonstick spray. In a large bowl, whisk together cake mix and instant pudding. Add sour cream, eggs, coconut milk and vegetable oil.
- Mix well until you have a smooth texture. Fold in the white chocolate chips and 1 cup of your shredded coconut. Pour batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack, then carefully put a large plate on top, grab both the pan and the plate and flip it over, if sprayed properly it should slide right out. Allow it to cool on the plate for 15 more minutes.
- While the cake is still slightly warm (but not hot), spread the cream cheese frosting over the surface. Top with desired amount of shredded coconut (I used an additional 2 cups of shredded coconut