You have got to try this tropical poke cake that’s super moist and topped with orange, pineapple and sweetened coconut flakes. It’s a great Summer cake that’s pretty and really easy to make with cake mix and a few other ingredients. If you’re looking for a light cake for Spring this will hit the spot
If you’ve never made a poke cake I highly recommend it, they’re incredible! There are so many variations and you can add whatever ingredients you love to jazz up the traditional like we did with this Tropical poke cake that will make you want to go on vacation! With flavors like pineapple, orange, and of course coconut it will remind you of Hawaii if you’ve ever been there. These are some of our favorite flavors in general and perfect for Spring and Summer time too. (originally published 3/17)
This tropical poke cake makes for a light moist dessert that you just can’t stop eating!
It’s a really pretty cake too! You could add other tropical fruits too depending on what season it is. Really it’s perfect year round and really easy to make.
The general rule for making any poke cake is to make a boxed cake mix as directed. Then once it is done but still a bit warm you pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of it. You poke holes in the top, thus calling it a poke cake!
After that you pour on something else sweet and put it in the fridge. Once cool you add the rest of your goodies.
- When we made our coconut chocolate poke cake with caramel sauce but for this tropical poke cake I thought I’d try orange marmelade. It more of an orange flavor and that worked great!
Perfect to take to a barbecue, picnic, or to make during the holidays like Easter time.
If you love this easy poke cake you should try our
This is what you need to make this easy Tropical Poke Cake
- Cake mix – we used white
- Mandarin oranges – in the can
- Pineapple – tidbits in the can work great
- Sweetened condensed milk – we used this, if you want a dairy free poke cake you can use this condensed coconut milk
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Whipped topping
- Orange marmelade jam
- I like using a pastry tip to make the holes but you could use a large straw as well.
You can pile on the fruit on top, or arrange it to make a cute sun or something too.
I used canned mandarin oranges and pineapple tidbits because Summer hasn’t arrived yet. BUT once it does I might use fresh pineapple and mango slices. Papaya would be good too! It is a really easy cake to make, pretty, and inexpensive too
Tropical Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix and items to make this as directed on box
- 1 can condensed milk
- 3/4 - 1 c orange marmelade warmed
- 1 tub whipped topping
- 1 c sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 can pineapple tidbits
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- Make white cake mix as directed on box, allow to cool for a bit.
- When cake is still slightly warm poke holes in the top of the cake, about 8 lengthwise and 5 widthwise.
- Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over top of cake making sure it is poured over holes in cake.
- Warm your marmelade in a dish in the microwave so you can pour it easily over the top of the cake like you did with the condensed milk.
- If you want a stronger orange flavor use 1 cup, we used 3/4 c. Put cake in fridge for at least 1 hour to cool completely.
- Take out and spread whipped topping on top of cake.
- Sprinkle coconut, add pieces of pineapple and mandarin oranges on top. Can add another layer of coconut if you desire. Serve!
For more easy recipes, tips and free printables please LIKE The Typical Mom on Facebook and follow me on Pinterest! You can also sign up for my free weekly newsletter which is packed with goodies I know you’ll love. 😉