You have got to try this tropical poke cake that’s super moist and topped with orange, pineapple and sweetened coconut flakes. It’s a great Summer cake that’s pretty and really easy to make with cake mix and a few other ingredients. If you’re looking for a light cake for Spring this will hit the spot
If you’ve never made a poke cake I highly recommend it, they’re incredible! There are so many variations and you can add whatever ingredients you love to jazz up the traditional like we did with this Tropical poke cake that will make you want to go on vacation! With flavors like pineapple, orange, and of course coconut it will remind you of Hawaii if you’ve ever been there. (originally published 3/17, affiliate links present)
Pineapple Poke Cake
It’s a really pretty cake too! Once you know how to make a poke cake you can add just about anything to it!
The general rule for making any poke cake is to make a boxed cake mix as directed. Then once it is done but still a bit warm you pour a can of sweetened condensed milk over the top of it. You poke holes in the top, thus calling it a poke cake!
After that you pour on something else sweet and put it in the fridge. Once cool you add the rest of your goodies.
- When we made our coconut chocolate poke cake with caramel sauce but for this tropical poke cake I thought I’d try orange marmelade. It more of an orange flavor and that worked great!
Perfect to take to a barbecue, picnic, or to make during the holidays like Easter time.
Orange Poke Cake
- Cake mix – we used white but you can find pineapple or orange flavors too
- Mandarin oranges – in the can
- Pineapple – tidbits in the can work great
- Sweetened condensed milk – we used this, if you want a dairy free poke cake you can use this condensed coconut milk
- Sweetened shredded coconut
- Whipped topping
- Orange marmelade jam
- I like using a pastry tip to make the holes but you could use a large straw as well.
You can pile on the fruit on top, or arrange it to make a cute sun or something too.
I used canned mandarin oranges and pineapple tidbits because Summer hasn’t arrived yet. BUT once it does I might use fresh pineapple and mango slices. Papaya would be good too! It is a really easy cake to make, pretty, and inexpensive too
Want to see a few of my favorite things you might want to write on your Christmas list this year??!! 😉 Take a peek and see how many you might already have…twinsies!
Looking for more easy family recipes and tips? LIKE The Typical Mom Facebook page?
***** If you LOVED this recipe give it 5 Stars below and let everyone know what you thought about it. 😉
If you love this easy poke cake you should try our
- Our banana bread pudding is out of this world.
If you love chocolate though this smores poke cake is the bomb! Fun to make with kids too it is always a potluck favorite.
Tropical Poke Cake
- Make white cake mix as directed on box, allow to cool for a bit.
- When cake is still slightly warm poke holes in the top of the cake, about 8 lengthwise and 5 widthwise.
- Pour can of sweetened condensed milk over top of cake making sure it is poured over holes in cake.
- Warm your marmelade in a dish in the microwave so you can pour it easily over the top of the cake like you did with the condensed milk.
- If you want a stronger orange flavor use 1 cup, we used 3/4 c. Put cake in fridge for at least 1 hour to cool completely.
- Take out and spread whipped topping on top of cake.
- Sprinkle coconut, add pieces of pineapple and mandarin oranges on top. Can add another layer of coconut if you desire. Serve!